Sign in to follow this  
justine1

Question over speech

Hi

Dan age four is on the waiting list for an ASD assesment,I just wanted to get some opinions about his speech,I know I will get more advice at the appt but...just curious.

Okay,he started speaking/babbling normal age but progressed slowly.By age 14mths he could only say three words "hello" "babby"(which was actually daddy) and "up" when he wanted to be picked up.

He gradually started learning more words but very unclear and would dribble alot,sometimes needed to change him three times a day as it would go through the bib. But he was not putting words together,until age three,then just small sentences.

Now age four he can speak alright,sometimes I battle to hear him,he sounds like when someone has very swollen glands.I must say over the past 4-5mths he does not have as much saliva,it is not as much of a problem as it used to be.He does have this habit when I ask him something he will answer one word at a time with a humm in between,example: ME:"Dan what do you want to do"DAN:"I (humm like dede)want(humm)to(humm) play(humm)"Hope that makes sense had to expalin on here!

The problem I have now is that since Feb/March he started this habit of calling us "pigs" he will say "stupid pig" "bl***y pig" and he also says "I hate you"(though he has said this since last year when he started putting sentences together) thing is he sometimes says it when he is perfectly happy,like he will be playing with younger brother Eli and smiling then say "come on you stupid pig" he doesnt always do it when angry,but he does at times usually at me not his brothers.He will then ask me three times(at least" a day "mum do you like me?" I dont know why he says this :unsure: It upsets me cause I try hard with him but he doesnt like me hugging him and that.

I have tried explaining why the words are not good,and giving time out when he isnt listening but he wont stop.He goes quiet alot during the day then when he does make humming it doesnt stop,but he doesnt talk much.Sometimes he will just say things as it seems he doesnt have much else to say.

Any advice? Thank you.

It sounds like he will benefit from having a speech therapist assessment. Sometimes boys can be a bit slow. I am sure you keep a diary off all these events and you will be able to discuss them at the innitial assessment, because in the first instance they just want to get as much information from the parent as possible.

The name calling is outside my experience, the worst thing that ds1 has said is "shut up" to his friends, not to his brother. He sometimes sound rude when he speaks to his brother, but because of his AS he does not understand what we mean when we say he sound rude, he does not know anything about the tone of voice.

I hope other parents and careers wil be able to advice you.

Did Dan use a soother when he was a baby, there is evidence to suggest that children who used a soother tend to not pronounce thier consonants properly.

You will be feeling anxious about it all. Also he does not like hugs, i can symphathise as DS1 does not like spontaneous hugs, he likes a hug at bedtime which he initiates. Does he like stories?

let us know how you get on with the app

x

It sounds like he will benefit from having a speech therapist assessment. Sometimes boys can be a bit slow. I am sure you keep a diary off all these events and you will be able to discuss them at the innitial assessment, because in the first instance they just want to get as much information from the parent as possible.

The name calling is outside my experience, the worst thing that ds1 has said is "shut up" to his friends, not to his brother. He sometimes sound rude when he speaks to his brother, but because of his AS he does not understand what we mean when we say he sound rude, he does not know anything about the tone of voice.

I hope other parents and careers wil be able to advice you.

Did Dan use a soother when he was a baby, there is evidence to suggest that children who used a soother tend to not pronounce thier consonants properly.

You will be feeling anxious about it all. Also he does not like hugs, i can symphathise as DS1 does not like spontaneous hugs, he likes a hug at bedtime which he initiates. Does he like stories?

let us know how you get on with the app

x

Thanks mygifts >:D<<'> I have to get referred by the paed before I can see the speech therapist,soooo frustrating! I was offered to get referred directly about 9mths ago but I still thought I would give him time as he hadnt started school and thought it may encourage him to talk when he is there.

No he never had a soother,none of my boys have.He never really had a bottle either, well for two mths between 6-7mths,he went from breast to cup/beaker really.

It is hard for me to understand this because my other three boys have very good speech and dont call each names(well not all day like he does) when they do its because they are annoyed but with Dan its like his way of communicating. I strongly suspect the "pig" word is something from school because he only started it a mth or so after starting there and my kids dont use that word in a negative way,we see pig as sw**e so for us its a swear word.The other words are mostly from Sam who again picked them up from school 2yrs ago.My 23mth old can even talk better/clearer than him,so it is a worry.

Edited by justine1

you welcome Just. I am sure things will get a bit clearer for you in the near future. It is so frustrating when you are waiting on your appointment.

Kind regards

Edited by mygifts1306

Just make a note of all your concerns and mention them at your appointment and ask for a referal to a speech therapist.

The therapist should check:

pronounciation to make sure he can articulate.

They should check his expressive and receptive speech (all areas, which include things like comprehension and inference) and his social interaction skills.

Some things to look at and consider is:

Google echolalia. Your son maybe repeating things he has seen from TV or films. The repetition can be immediate or delayed. It can sound strange because it is said in the wrong context or it can be appropriate.

For example you may ask your son "do you want a drink". And your son may say (when he wants a drink) "do you want a drink". Or he may use words/sentences from TV in his talking or play but without the understanding of the individual words. He has seen something on TV and from his understanding of what he saw and what he heard said, he has recorded that in his memory and resays it at what he thinks are the right times. This way of learning language is normal in all children at a certain age, but as children develop they move away from this. Children on the spectrum can stay at this stage longer.

Saying things that seem irrelevant to what you have asked him, or him saying statements out of the blue. So you may ask him a specific question and he gives a totally unrelated answer. Or he does not 'chat' socially as other children do, but may say a factual Statement every now and then.

Not understanding pronouns.

just an idea, does your son watch pepper pig on tv. My dd went through a stage of calling everyone pig at the end of a sentance because thats how they talk on the tv. example i would like a drink daddy pig. Also the humming could be where your son is processing the words he needs to be using. My dd has stopped calling people pig now, im glad as it was getting embrassing as not everyone understood why my dd was calling them pig.

Sounds a lot like my daughter. She has been having speach and language through play (via the local sure start) and she had improved a lot, however she is still having difficulities, and people find it difficult to understand what she is trying to say. She has recently been diagnosed with HFA and this involved a S&L assessment. Now that she has the diagnosis the SALT have said that she does need some help and we are currently waiting for an appointment with the theparist who initally assessed her for the peadtrician.

It sounds like your son could do with some help from S&L.

Good luck with it all! xx