Candyfloss

What are the main symptoms of ADHD? - I can.t concentrate on any work?

usually a load of stuff around being unable to finish tasks, losing concentration very quickly, easily distracted, "butterfly" mind ect. to get the "H" you also need to require very little sleep and almost constant physical activity.

If you can concentrate on anything for a good period of time (ie computer game, jigsaw, researching your own subject) you will not get an ADD or ADHD dx

Attention Deficit_ one is unable to maintain the concentration for a reasonable amount of time which is expected of people thier age

Hyperactive Disorder- one seems like they are on something, they find it hard to sit still ( sitting still at meal times is something we expect, we are enjoying our food, people with adhd are constantly on the go, for example they seem to have lots and lots of energy and do not appear to get tired,

Other symptoms

They find it difficult to complete assigned task ie, you need to be contantly reminded to finish their work

they tend to like computer games and physical things such as jumping on a trampoline

IF you suspect you have the symptoms or some1 you care for your first port of call is your gp

hope this helps

usually a load of stuff around being unable to finish tasks, losing concentration very quickly, easily distracted, "butterfly" mind ect.

Sounds like student-ism! :lol:

If you can concentrate on anything for a good period of time (ie computer game, jigsaw, researching your own subject) you will not get an ADD or ADHD dx

Out of interest, how does this work with children/adults who have an ASD and ADD/ADHD dx? Lots of ASD is about being focused on one thing to the extent other things get ignored, not easily being able to stop something, needing to finish a task before starting another, obsessive interests etc...

I know you don't need to fulfil every aspect of the ASD dx criteria to be dxed ASD, but quite a lot of the criteria relate to doing things extensively or over and over which doesn't fit with not finishing tasks, changing tasks quickly, giving things up easily etc.

Not saying you can't have both, I work with kids who have both (although interestingly I'd say the ADD/ADHD is usually more apparent), just interested, that's all. :)

Quite a lot of boys have a doubke dx, so there must be criteria that work together somehow - but I don't know enough about how....

the hyperactivity bit could easily fit with any ASD - that's about needing physical activity/movement all the time and less sleep than normal

the only child we know with a dual dx was more apparently ADD than AS - although I guess there was noticeable repetivity in speach and context which is the "obsessive" bit, and his parents say he desperately hates changes to his routine....

re adults - there are far fewer ADD/ADHD adults than children. it is something that often self corrects after puberty :huh:

Edited by KezT

This is a Adult ADHD website and this post explains the symptoms of ADHD in Adults.

Hope its useful info.

http://aadd.org.uk/symptomsdiagnosis/symptoms.html

In our area you cant even get a referral as they have been prospond which might be why getting an adult diagnosis of ADHD might prove difficult.

About the computer games comment, one of the reasons a child with ADHD can play with attention on a computer game is because the game is stimulating parts of the brain that usually lay dormant, ADHD is usually when parts of the brain are not properly working, but a computer games act as a stimulant, the brain also produces hormones that are articially activiated increasing adrenalin, stress levels, and good feel hormones, so that it becomes addictive.

Thats my anology anyway.

JsMumx

Edited by JsMum

Attention problems are often related to sensory issues. So, people who are hypersensitive to certain stimuli are distracted by them; people who are hyposensitive to them seek additional stimulation. Sensory input is not only processed by what are usually referred to as the sensory areas of the brain, but also feeds directly into the frontal areas that are involved with attention.

People differ widely in their sensory sensitivities and can also show variations in levels of neurotransmitters involved in processing systems in the brain. Basically, we each have a different pattern of sensory and attentional abilities. Whether you get a diagnosis of ADHD or ASD will depend on your individual pattern and what effects it has on your behaviour.

Some people might have underlying conditions that always produce the symptoms we call ADHD; others might have underlying conditions that always produce the symptoms we call ASD. That doesn't mean ADHD is a single condition and you either have it or don't have it. Nor that ASD is a single condition that you either have or don't have. It's the pattern of variation that produces the symptoms and hence the diagnosis (or not).

cb

i found some of the symptoms for the 6 types of adhd and have listed them below;

Inattentive

* Easily distracted

* Have short attention spans to a task that is not interesting, or is hard

* Daydreaming when others are talking to him/her

* Always looking for things that they have just put down somewhere...

* Always late

* Easily bored

My brother appears to have these symptoms in his school and home environment but wont go for a diagnosis.

Classic type, impulsive/hyperactive

# Is easily distracted

# Has a LOT of energy

# Is hyperactive

# Can't sit still very long

# Is fidgety

# Talks a LOT, and can be LOUD

# Is very impulsive, does not think before he acts

# Has trouble waiting his turn in line, or in games

they can also be restless and disorganised.

Will do the next to in a different thread

part 2 of 3

"Over-Focused ADHD"

He has trouble shifting attention from one activity to another, and he frequently "gets stuck" in loops of negative thoughts.

He can be obsessive, and very inflexible. He can also be oppositional and argumentative to parents.

He may be like a "bull dog" and not give up until he gets his way, or until his worn-out parents finally say, "yes," to his 100th request for something. His parents are often worn-out, worn-down, fed-up, and ready to break.

Parenting a child like this is hard.

Someone with "Over-Focused ADHD" is like Rabbit, in that he:

* May worry a LOT, even over things that don't really matter much

* Can be very oppositional to parents

* May like to argue

* May be somewhat compulsive about the way things ought to be done

* Will have a very hard time shifting from one activity to another

* Always wants to have his way

Nervous, anxious, hyper vigilant ADHD

They are always worried, nervous, and startles easily . Sometimes so nervous that they stutter. So it is with some kids with ADHD.

The child's mid-brain is so over-aroused that the child is hyper vigilant and very easily startled.

They may be talking all of the time, and are probably touching everything in the room. And, these children is nervous or worried, or anxious. They have trouble shifting attention from one activity to another, and frequently "get stuck" in loops of negative thoughts.

They can be obsessive, and very inflexible.

** Wow they sound like autism in some ways.

ADHD and depression

* Inattentive

* Have a chronic sadness or low-grade depression

* Seem to be negative, or apathetic

* Have low energy levels

* They just do not seem to care

* They often feel worthless, or helpless, or hopeless.

This tends to be my so called hyperactive friend, whose hyperverbal at times whether depressed or not.

Theres also the ring of fire type

You expect them to be arrested anytime

Destructive of property

Misdiagnosis of ADHD could be due to the following;

* depression

* anxiety

* specific learning disabilities

* early onset bi-polar disorder

* Tourette's Syndrome

* food allergies

* head injuries

* fetal alcohol syndrome

* dental problems, such as abscessed root canals or mercury toxicity from fillings

* significant family problems

* grief or trauma

Quite a lot of boys have a double dx, so there must be criteria that work together somehow - but I don't know enough about how....

the hyperactivity bit could easily fit with any ASD - that's about needing physical activity/movement all the time and less sleep than normal

the only child we know with a dual dx was more apparently ADD than AS - although I guess there was noticeable repetivity in speech and context which is the "obsessive" bit, and his parents say he desperately hates changes to his routine....

re adults - there are far fewer ADD/ADHD adults than children. it is something that often self corrects after puberty :huh:

i think that's a myth that fewer adults have adhd than kids. My friend was diagnosed age 21 and it is almost impossible to get an adult diagnosis of ADHD at least in our area.

i hope the new dsm-v will take out the "doesn't have another PDD or schizophrenia" to stop folk from being missed that would qualify for dual diagnosis.

This is a Adult ADHD website and this post explains the symptoms of ADHD in Adults.

Hope its useful info.

http://aadd.org.uk/symptomsdiagnosis/symptoms.html

In our area you cant even get a referral as they have been prospond which might be why getting an adult diagnosis of ADHD might prove difficult.

About the computer games comment, one of the reasons a child with ADHD can play with attention on a computer game is because the game is stimulating parts of the brain that usually lay dormant, ADHD is usually when parts of the brain are not properly working, but a computer games act as a stimulant, the brain also produces hormones that are articially activiated increasing adrenalin, stress levels, and good feel hormones, so that it becomes addictive.

Thats my anology anyway.

JsMumx

A correct one as they can concentrate on something thats fun due to the stimulation effect but ask them to do long division and their brains can literally switch off the attention from the task.

i think that's a myth that fewer adults have adhd than kids. My friend was diagnosed age 21 and it is almost impossible to get an adult diagnosis of ADHD at least in our area.

it's not a myth - children dx'd with ADD/ADHD will not necessarily grow up to be adults with ADD/ADHD. about half of them "grow out of it" or learn to manage it so well that it has no impact on their lives, which is much the same thing.

that's not to say it doesn't exist in adults - of course it does! and I am sure it is much harder to get a dx as an adultr than a child. but it is more prevelant in children.

Edited by KezT

A correct one as they can concentrate on something thats fun due to the stimulation effect but ask them to do long division and their brains can literally switch off the attention from the task.

This is true,my son has dx of ADHD and he can spend ages on the computer or the Wii.His consultant asked at about this at time of dx&I told him he can sit up to an hr on these,maybe more (that was without meds).he said this is typical in many children with ADHD and its called Hyperfocusing. BUTask him to get dressed,he mite make a start then Il find him playing with the hamster cos hes switched off,were as the computer/games are stimulating for him:)

Surely that's true of everyone? Something you find fun/interesting keeps your attention, whilst something boring/hard/irrelevant is very hard to sustain attention with? :unsure:

Surely that's true of everyone? Something you find fun/interesting keeps your attention, whilst something boring/hard/irrelevant is very hard to sustain attention with? :unsure:

And you work with kids with ADHD!

JsMumx

JsMumx

If that's not normal then I must have ADHD, because I can concentrate a lot longer on something interesting like watching telly or using the computer than I could on something boring like studying a graph.

it's not a myth - children dx'd with ADD/ADHD will not necessarily grow up to be adults with ADD/ADHD. about half of them "grow out of it" or learn to manage it so well that it has no impact on their lives, which is much the same thing.

that's not to say it doesn't exist in adults - of course it does! and I am sure it is much harder to get a dx as an adult than a child. but it is more prevalent in children.

This is the information i got from the ADDIS charity for ADHDers and my local ADHD group.

Ah but do none ADHDers brains go to sleep when they are attempting to do something boring/hard/irrelevant to them?

"Kathleen Nadeau explains this phenomenon in her book, Adventures in Fast Forward. “In actuality, ADD is not a ‘deficit’ of attention, but a disorder in which individuals have much less control over their responses to stimuli,” writes Nadeau. They are unable to regulate their attention. Though they may have extreme difficulty focusing, organizing, and completing certain mundane tasks, they are often able to focus intently on other activities that interest them. This tendency to become absorbed in tasks that are stimulating and rewarding is called hyperfocus. "

http://add.about.com/od/adhdthebasics/a/Hyperfocus.htm

JsMumx

If that's not normal then I must have ADHD, because I can concentrate a lot longer on something interesting like watching telly or using the computer than I could on something boring like studying a graph.

Note this applies to people who find things hard, i can concentrate on my coursework for about an hour and thats hard work. But an ADHDer would be more distracted with trying to concentrate on their coursework.

This is the information i got from the ADDIS charity for ADHDers and my local ADHD group.

from the Mental Health Foundation (http://www.mhf.org.uk/information/mental-health-a-z/adhd/)

Some children do appear to grow out of ADHD although others have problems that continue into adolescence and beyond. Approximately two out of five children with ADHD continue to have difficulties at age 18.

From the UK ADD & ADHD website (http://www.addandadhd.co.uk/do-children-grow-out-adhd.html)

The simple answer is that some children with ADHD do grow out of it by the time they reach their early 20s, but some do not. The split is about half and half, so the incidence of ADHD in the adult population is still as high as 4 in every 100 people

From Netdoctor(http://www.netdoctor.co.uk/ate/adhd/207907.html)

We usually observe a lessening of ADHD symptoms over time, particularly the signs of hyperactivity, which are much less common in most adolescents.

In many young people though (some studies indicate up to 60 per cent), impulsive behaviours and lack of focus and inattention can persist into young adulthood, sometimes contributing to problems settling in college or at work.

there were a number of academic papers sayin uch the same too.....

Adults with ADHD tend to self-medicate - smoking, normally and then on to substance abuse.

I used to work with someone very very successful at what he did who used cocaine in a similar way to children being prescribed Ritalin. He went into the Priory for addiction and came out on, yes you've guessed it, Ritalin!

Hello Kez-t

It is possible the mental health foundation is talking about classic adhd. Note it says "appears to grow out" so it could be they find better coping strategies to mask their adhd, a bit like the quiet autistic being diagnosed later as they are easily ignored?

Also the www.addandadhd.co.uk/do-children-grow-out-adhd.html mentioned the split being 1/2 and 1/2. That means most of adhd kids dont grow out of it, only 1/2 of them do. The impulsive behaviours from the netdoctor website were suggested at 60% of the young adhders still having problems with impulse control, lack of focus (hyperfocus) and inattention problems.

From those 2 above sites alone, if you are describing hyperactive behaviour then yes most can appear to grow out of it.

Hard to tell whether they mean the hyperactive type or all types of adhd. Just like years ago it was thought that most autistics are unable to talk or communicate.

The long and the short of it is do adhders grow out of adhd or have better ways of coping with their neurology?

Hello Kez-t

It is possible the mental health foundation is talking about classic adhd. Note it says "appears to grow out" so it could be they find better coping strategies to mask their adhd, a bit like the quiet autistic being diagnosed later as they are easily ignored?

Also the www.addandadhd.co.uk/do-children-grow-out-adhd.html mentioned the split being 1/2 and 1/2. That means most of adhd kids dont grow out of it, only 1/2 of them do. The impulsive behaviours from the netdoctor website were suggested at 60% of the young adhders still having problems with impulse control, lack of focus (hyperfocus) and inattention problems.

From those 2 above sites alone, if you are describing hyperactive behaviour then yes most can appear to grow out of it.

Hard to tell whether they mean the hyperactive type or all types of adhd. Just like years ago it was thought that most autistics are unable to talk or communicate.

The long and the short of it is do adhders grow out of adhd or have better ways of coping with their neurology?

if you look back, my original omment stated exactly that:

children dx'd with ADD/ADHD will not necessarily grow up to be adults with ADD/ADHD. about half of them "grow out of it" or learn to manage it so well that it has no impact on their lives, which is much the same thing.

that's not to say it doesn't exist in adults - of course it does! and I am sure it is much harder to get a dx as an adult than a child. but it is more prevalent in children.

CMJ seems to be saying there are at least as many if not more `adults with ADD/ADHD and that I was spreading lies to say that it is more prevelant in children. which is why I quoted some sources. I am not dismissing the syptoms or the effects of ADHD - my youngest brother was almost certainy ADHD ( when we requested a dx, we were told it was not recognised in the UK - this was back in the 80's!) and Ritalin would probaly have kept him out of prison :tearful: He didgrow out of much of the hyperactivity, although he still needs les sleep than an average person, and the ADD bit is still a problem - not sure how much of that could have been solved with some behavior management though.....

CMJ seems to be saying there are at least as many if not more `adults with ADD/ADHD and that I was spreading lies to say that it is more prevelant in children. which is why I quoted some sources.

Que? This is what I wrote:

Adults with ADHD tend to self-medicate - smoking, normally and then on to substance abuse.

I used to work with someone very very successful at what he did who used cocaine in a similar way to children being prescribed Ritalin. He went into the Priory for addiction and came out on, yes you've guessed it, Ritalin!

Didn't mention numbers at all.

Putting my Mod hat on now - can you all please be more careful when posting to make sure any comments made about other posters are accurate? It would save so much of the disharmony that seems to be rife here at the moment.

Sorryit was Trekster with

i think that's a myth that fewer adults have adhd than kids
that I was clarifying o.

iys late & i,m going to bedbefore I upset everyone :rolleyes:

I knew it was something of the sort. Can you also take on board that someone with a different opinion to yours isn't calling you a liar? There is no absolute proof either way, though I like your attempts to get some evidence for your case. 'Night Kez!

did't mean to say Trekster was calling me a liar - I'm sure she wasn't and I didn't take it thyat way, but she did imply that I was just posting opinion rather than fact,hence the clarification.

I try to say whenever I am posting opinion, so peope know how much notice to take (ie: none) :lol: :lol: :lol:

lol Kez!

I personally think that ADHD is a life-long condition but that adults find coping mechanisms, some of them legal, quite a few of them not.

Having observed it close up (DS has it) I think that being permanently in a hyped up state must be awful. One of the very first break thorughs I had was to connect red food colouring with DS's attention span. He could really only look at something for a couple of seconds and nursery was using pink milk as a reward. He is now totally additive-free in his diet and it makes a HUGE difference. Something I wouldn't have believed unless I'd seen it with my own eyes. What we do is based on the Feingold diet, lots of info on the Hyperactive Children's Support Group website.

did't mean to say Trekster was calling me a liar - I'm sure she wasn't and I didn't take it that way, but she did imply that I was just posting opinion rather than fact,hence the clarification.

I try to say whenever I am posting opinion, so people know how much notice to take (ie: none) :lol: :lol: :lol:

i tend to say what i mean and not use implied meanings especially on forums. i mentioned my source of information and asked for yours as i was interested in how we could have 2 different opinions.

lol Kez!

I personally think that ADHD is a life-long condition but that adults find coping mechanisms, some of them legal, quite a few of them not.

Having observed it close up (DS has it) I think that being permanently in a hyped up state must be awful. One of the very first break thorughs I had was to connect red food colouring with DS's attention span. He could really only look at something for a couple of seconds and nursery was using pink milk as a reward. He is now totally additive-free in his diet and it makes a HUGE difference. Something I wouldn't have believed unless I'd seen it with my own eyes. What we do is based on the Feingold diet, lots of info on the Hyperactive Children's Support Group website.

Pleased you have managed to find a way to help your son. dietary intervention helped me as well but not for hyperactivity (dont have adhd).