BusyLizzie100

transition to secondary

Hi all,

Am I right in thinking that the annual statement review for secondary is supposed to take place in Year 5? Is there anything in law or the COP to support this? Or is it a figment of my imagination!!!

Have got Annual Review next week so help urgently requested!!!

Cheers,

Lizzie x

Yep your correct, usually those with statements know in november the yr before a sept start which school they are going too.It should really be done around easter time yr 5.

Hi all,

Am I right in thinking that the annual statement review for secondary is supposed to take place in Year 5? Is there anything in law or the COP to support this? Or is it a figment of my imagination!!!

Cheers,

Lizzie x

Yes, this is when you are supposed to discuss options for secondary - the Final Statement with the secondary school written in Part 4 is not due to Feb 15th of Year 6 (by law).

My understanding is that you should have an early review in the early part of Year 6, in order to ensure that you get the amended statement and the Final Statement in time for Feb 15th. This is to try to ensure that you have time to appeal before starting the new school in the following Sep.

Obviously, you need to discuss where you would like to go now, so that the current statement can be passed to the potential new school to see if they could meet your child's needs. You also need to discuss if there are any changes that will need to be made to his current statement in light of the change of school. You might also like to consider any changes that the LEA might try to make e.g. changing the amount of support.

Good luck!x

Yes, this is when you are supposed to discuss options for secondary - the Final Statement with the secondary school written in Part 4 is not due to Feb 15th of Year 6 (by law).

My understanding is that you should have an early review in the early part of Year 6, in order to ensure that you get the amended statement and the Final Statement in time for Feb 15th. This is to try to ensure that you have time to appeal before starting the new school in the following Sep.

Obviously, you need to discuss where you would like to go now, so that the current statement can be passed to the potential new school to see if they could meet your child's needs. You also need to discuss if there are any changes that will need to be made to his current statement in light of the change of school. You might also like to consider any changes that the LEA might try to make e.g. changing the amount of support.

Good luck!x

I actually want DS2 to stay at his current school, which is an independent autism-specific school and goes through to 19. The school itself is not considering this a transition review, they consider the Year 6 to be the transition review. But the Educational Psychologist from the LA has informed us that she's coming to next week's AR because it IS the transition review.

I don't trust the LA one tiny little bit, and I know mine is reviewing SEN provision with a view to stopping further out-of-county placements (of which we are one). I'm worrying that the LA will say that DS2 will have to come back to an in-county placement for Sept 2011. At the moment there is nothing comparable in-county; there are plans to create units in mainstreams but I have no confidence in my LA getting it right or even slightly right.

So the more informed I am before next week's meeting, the better!

Lizzie x

I was told its the easter before their final year,so easter of year 5. My son is going to an ASD unit and he will only be there for two years so next year between eatser and June we wil review and see which is the best option for him,as mentioned above it will then give me a year to fight any battles,which I am certain is a must.

I actually want DS2 to stay at his current school, which is an independent autism-specific school and goes through to 19. The school itself is not considering this a transition review, they consider the Year 6 to be the transition review. But the Educational Psychologist from the LA has informed us that she's coming to next week's AR because it IS the transition review.

I don't trust the LA one tiny little bit, and I know mine is reviewing SEN provision with a view to stopping further out-of-county placements (of which we are one). I'm worrying that the LA will say that DS2 will have to come back to an in-county placement for Sept 2011. At the moment there is nothing comparable in-county; there are plans to create units in mainstreams but I have no confidence in my LA getting it right or even slightly right.

So the more informed I am before next week's meeting, the better!

Lizzie x

Hi Lizzie,

Hopefully someone with more definite info will come along, but I have a feeling that if the school are still meeting his needs, they can not simply 'kick him out' in order to save money/x

Technically they're right, they have to be at this review. If they turn up at the end of Y6 there wouldn't be any scope for appeal.

I know there has been some new directives regarding transition as central government realises how poorly local authorities handled the process and it could be that the LA has decided that it needs to have a representative at all transition reviews.

You could search your local authority's website to find out if they have plans for their own autism-specific secondary. Just a tip, but my LA has a separate 'Council and Democracy' subsite. If you type in the main page search engine nothing comes up. You have to be in the subsite to get anything.

Have just found this on the NAS website:

Annual reviews during transition periods

Moving to secondary school

The move between primary and secondary should be considered in the year prior to transfer, ie at the Year 5 review. Clear recommendations about the type of school your child will require at secondary stage should be given. It will then be possible for you to visit all proposed provision and consider all the options carefully.

The LA must name a school they think can meet the childs needs but they must consider parents preference.

The statement must be amended by 15 February in the year of the transfer (Year 6) to include the secondary school in Part 4. When the statement is amended to name a school, you will be given the right to appeal to SENDIST/SENTW.

Well I think I will be making as strong a case as possible at next week's review, then! Even if just in case! God help me, though, if the LA tries to move him I don't think I can take much more...

Have just found this on the NAS website:

Annual reviews during transition periods

Moving to secondary school

The move between primary and secondary should be considered in the year prior to transfer, ie at the Year 5 review. Clear recommendations about the type of school your child will require at secondary stage should be given. It will then be possible for you to visit all proposed provision and consider all the options carefully.

The LA must name a school they think can meet the childs needs but they must consider parents preference.

The statement must be amended by 15 February in the year of the transfer (Year 6) to include the secondary school in Part 4. When the statement is amended to name a school, you will be given the right to appeal to SENDIST/SENTW.

Well I think I will be making as strong a case as possible at next week's review, then! Even if just in case! God help me, though, if the LA tries to move him I don't think I can take much more...

Thats great BusyLizzie :thumbs: Thanks for that I will keep that info for Sam when I need it >:D<<'>

It all runs to a very tight timetable.

In reality you need to have decided what school you want/would like your child to go to and have the amended statement in place before the end of October, when the preference forms have to go in.

We have just had a letter from the LA telling us that we will be getting a letter setting out the process and time scale for statemented children.

As we are in the review process at the moment, it will only be a few month before we do it all over again.

We have stated in this latest review some of the issues that will need addressing with regard to secondary school.

One thing we have to get sorted is school transport.

It is generally thought that the main site (The school is split over 2 sites, one 1/2 a mile away, the main site 4 miles away.)would best be able to meet our sons needs, but the council see the school as one and it is up to the school which site it allocates a child to, mainly based on home address. Iv been told that there is no process for appealing against the schools decision as both site are the same school! We have yet to get any information about school transport if he went to the main site, which apparently we can put as a preference, but as there is a place at the same school available 1/2 a mile away, would he qualify.

Without school transport the main site is a non starter.

This school has only existed in it present form for 6 months so it is all untested ground.

Got a TAC meeting today so I will be putting the questions, dont expect any answers.

It all runs to a very tight timetable.

In reality you need to have decided what school you want/would like your child to go to and have the amended statement in place before the end of October, when the preference forms have to go in.

We have just had a letter from the LA telling us that we will be getting a letter setting out the process and time scale for statemented children.

As we are in the review process at the moment, it will only be a few month before we do it all over again.

We have stated in this latest review some of the issues that will need addressing with regard to secondary school.

One thing we have to get sorted is school transport.

It is generally thought that the main site (The school is split over 2 sites, one 1/2 a mile away, the main site 4 miles away.)would best be able to meet our sons needs, but the council see the school as one and it is up to the school which site it allocates a child to, mainly based on home address. Iv been told that there is no process for appealing against the schools decision as both site are the same school! We have yet to get any information about school transport if he went to the main site, which apparently we can put as a preference, but as there is a place at the same school available 1/2 a mile away, would he qualify.

Without school transport the main site is a non starter.

This school has only existed in it present form for 6 months so it is all untested ground.

Got a TAC meeting today so I will be putting the questions, dont expect any answers.

Dear Chris,

I don't see why you couldn't have something in Part 3 re which site would suit your DS's needs? If Part 4 would say the same regardless of which site your DS went to, then I think clarifying which site he NEEDS to attend could be put in Part 3? You just need to identify a need in Part 2 (or have one added) that requires his placement at that particular site in Part 3?

Also, as there is little difference distance-wise between the two sites, I don't think they would be able to justify a particular site on account of costs - I think a tribunal panel, for instance, would be looking for far greater distances as a justification.

Best of luck/x

Hi Lizzie

The COP outlines best practice. See Chapter 5: Identification, Assessment and Provision in the Primary Phase - Annual review 5:68-5:71 Hopefully you have access to it.

Essentially:

Yr 5 review to enable all to agree provisionally what sort of provision will be necessary at Secondary so that parents can go and look at/apply to schools with these things in mind. If it still isn't clear what provision will necessary (rare since needs are unlikely to change that much in a year) at this stage also hold an interim or early review in autumn term of Yr 6.

Whatever happens, the Yr 6 review needs to held in sufficient time to allow final decisions to be made etc as the Statement MUST be amended by 15th Feb of the year of transfer. It is recommended that the SENCO of the receiving school is also at that the Yr 6 review.

Hope that helps!

Lesley

Hi all,

Cheers,

Lizzie x

Hi Lizzie

The COP outlines best practice. See Chapter 5: Identification, Assessment and Provision in the Primary Phase - Annual review 5:68-5:71 Hopefully you have access to it.

Essentially:

Yr 5 review to enable all to agree provisionally what sort of provision will be necessary at Secondary so that parents can go and look at/apply to schools with these things in mind. If it still isn't clear what provision will necessary (rare since needs are unlikely to change that much in a year) at this stage also hold an interim or early review in autumn term of Yr 6.

Whatever happens, the Yr 6 review needs to held in sufficient time to allow final decisions to be made etc as the Statement MUST be amended by 15th Feb of the year of transfer. It is recommended that the SENCO of the receiving school is also at that the Yr 6 review.

Hope that helps!

Lesley

Hi all,

Cheers,

Lizzie x

Dear Chris,

I don't see why you couldn't have something in Part 3 re which site would suit your DS's needs? If Part 4 would say the same regardless of which site your DS went to, then I think clarifying which site he NEEDS to attend could be put in Part 3? You just need to identify a need in Part 2 (or have one added) that requires his placement at that particular site in Part 3?

Also, as there is little difference distance-wise between the two sites, I don't think they would be able to justify a particular site on account of costs - I think a tribunal panel, for instance, would be looking for far greater distances as a justification.

Best of luck/x

It the identifying a need bit which is likely to be the sticking point.

What makes the main site most suitable is;- the larger year sizes, which means there is more opportunity to have classes of near ability, there is more opportunity to teach in small groups, the sizes of the classes overall are smaller. Because there are more SEN children there, there is a dedicated SENs room staffed from 8-5 which the children can use at any time with computers, and a quiet room. I have been told that it is up to the school to put the case but it is all a bit uncertain how or when this will happen. As I said the LA see the school as a whole and dont look at the separet bits.

When it came to classroom support, at the present time my son gets 10 hours 1-1.

This we are trying to get increased, but as it stands at present it is not looking hopeful. "No failing has been identified" the first response from council, it hasn't gone to panel yet as they are waiting for Autism Outreach to submit a report, which apparently no one had told them was needed.

The problem we have is that the 10 hours of 1-1 are working well but only for the 10 hours, a large part of the rest of the day he is just treading water or even going backwards.

Anyway because of the way our LA now funds statemented children, it will mainly be by delegate funding. Which for anyone who doesnt know means that hour of one to one will not be identified in the statement, it is up to the school to decide what support a child gets to meet the requirements of their statement. We have been told that in our case it is likely to be mainly using small group teaching. Which if I as honest will probably be better than limited 1-1.It was put to us like this "The 10 hours has to be spread out to meet his needs for the whole school day".

But it is important to get the hours increased now if we can as that will set the level of support he gets later.

The New system will cut in (for him) when he goes up to secondary school.