Sign in to follow this  
fiorelli

Carer's Assssment help needed.

I wondered if you guys can help me. I put in a request for a carers assessment via the LA's adult services website. I recieved a letter yesterday saying that the request had been received and that someone would contact me in due course. Today I called ~Children's services (about a matter un-related to the CA) who said that my request had been passed onto them -via all manner of different departments. I was also told that they did not know what to do with the request as a carers assessment "is for adults who look after adults", and that "whilst as a parent of a child with a disability you are entitled to apply for and recieve carer's allowance, the actual act of caring for the child, even if they have disabilities is classed as within the remit of 'parent'"...

Any help? What can I do - Any suggestions?

Fi x

Would like to swear here but will settle for "rubbish"!!

Although if you are caring for a child and don't have a disability yourself then it is right that it's gone to the Children's Services team.

This document is really good and should give you some law to quote at them:

http://www.carersuk.org/Professionals/Reso...sandtheirrights

If your child has a social worker and a core assessment has been done, the carers needs should have been taken into account during that.

HTH

Carol

Would like to swear here but will settle for "rubbish"!!

Although if you are caring for a child and don't have a disability yourself then it is right that it's gone to the Children's Services team.

This document is really good and should give you some law to quote at them:

http://www.carersuk.org/Professionals/Reso...sandtheirrights

If your child has a social worker and a core assessment has been done, the carers needs should have been taken into account during that.

HTH

Carol

Carol - Social Worker???? Core Assessment??? You've got to be joking right???!!! They are like gold dust and two of the things (against many others) that I've been fighting for. I did see that from Carers UK and quoted it in the original request which they seem to have just read the 'Please can I have a carer's assessment' bit and not read the rest. I have had the same old spiel about seeing other worse off than us who are not entitled to anything. Only this time, the guy went as far as to say that they ONLY deal with children who are at extreme risk. hmmm.

Sorry Carol, I went off on a bit of a tangent there - not aimed at you.

Fi xx

Hi Fi,

I totally "get" your frustration - I went through a similar battle a few years back regarding my son who has a rare chromosome disorder.

They should have an eligibility criteria for Children's Services and you should be entitled to see it. If you've had an assessment and been told you're not eligible then ask for a copy of the criteria. I eventually got it via a Freedom of Information request - it made no sense whatsoever.

Aiming High for Disabled children says decisions should be transparent so they should publicise the criteria. Our local authority has recently, but before they did they had to rewrite it so it made sense.

Keep at it - you need to be tenacious - you shouldn't need to be but you do. Make sure your request is in writing and if they don't respond in the allowed timescale make a formal complaint. If that doesn't resolve things you can take it to the ombudsman.

HTH

Carol