Sign in to follow this  
tegan

Professional Diagnosis

Hey, it's been a while since I was here...on Friday past I had my first assessment from a speech and language therapist and a mental health nurse in order to get my professional diagnosis. I couldn't believe how long I was in there, it took an hour and 20 minutes but didn't really feel that long. Turns out they do feel I could have Aspergers but I've another assessment due in September, unfortunately working 9-5 Monday to Friday means I have had to wait until September to get some more time off...I'm on placement for my nursing course and don't really want to disclose why I need time off so it's best until I wait for this placement to be over.

I'm slightly apprehensive since my diagnosis. I mean, I've thought that I have Aspergers for quite some time but hearing it from someone else makes things a lot more real. I haven't really experienced depression to a great deal that some people with Aspergers have, however I have had some pretty low points when I have found it incredibly hard to make friends. Maintaining friendships for me isn't something very difficult but making them seems to be quite difficult. Luckily the friends I have love me for my quirks and I would admit I'm a loyal friend and never take any of my friendships for granted.

As a lesbian, I had thought I might be gay for a couple of years and came out at quite a young age (16), that's 6 years ago now and I feel the need to 'come out' as an aspie. I have the same thoughts as regards to being a lesbian - no, not everyone needs to know. I do think those closest to me do need to know. I've spoke with my father, he's shown signs of having Aspergers but never has gone for a professional diagnosis and don't think he feels the need to which is fine. He does say I show signs and supports me through the process of diagnosis. I guess I'm just scared as to how my life will change with that on my medical notes. I don't know, I think I'm just looking for support from people who've gone through this. Hope someone can help :)

Hi Tegan and welcome. I hope that you get your diagnosis sorted very soon, I can remember the frustration of waiting! I was diagnosed last year, aged 39, after a few months of self diagnosis, like you say it kind of hits home when the professionals also feel you have it! I was diagnosed after two appointments with a clinical psychologist and a speech and language therapist talking to my mum for two sessions, mainly about childhood etc.

Sounds as though you have good family support and are a strong person which is great. I must admist, very few people know of my diagnosis- my mum, who was incredibly supportive, my sisters and stepdad, dad and stepmum, and a friend who suspected I had AS after we went to an Autism seminar hosted by Wendy Lawson as part of our work. But I have told noone else and don't quite know how to start! My job, ironically enough, involves working with people and it can be incredibly difficult at times but luckily seems to attract eccentric characters which detracts from me!

I admire you for feeling so sorted with your sexuality- I have never had a relationship and can honestly say that I don't know if I am gay, straight or asexual. Part of me feels that it would be great to be in a relationship and part of me just wants to run the other way!!

This forum is great so stick around here and let us know how you get on with your final assessment.