Sign in to follow this  
Kathryn

Adult mental health referral

My daughter, who is 21, went through a bit of an emotional crisis a few months ago. She very sensibly took herself off to the GP who was great and was concerned enough to refer her on to Adult mental health services. There were a lot of shenannigans before she actually got an appointment - they kept telling her to ring them which she had to do about 4 times over several days. Not easy for someone who hates phones.

So she had the assessment and they said they'd let her know what help they could offer her. She ws also asked if one of her parents could come in - not necessarily with her which was a bit bizarre. She was a bit perplexed and quite cross rightly so it seems to me - after all she is an adult not a child.

2 months on and she heard nothing so she contacted them, to be told are not going to do anything further until they have some input from one of her parents. What??!

Can it be right that a 21 year old can't seek treatment for anxiety /depression (among other things) without parental involvement? Where do they draw the line? If I got a referral myself I doubt whether they would ask me to drag in my 83 year old dad?! Surely she should be treated as an adult?

Just wondered if anyone else experienced something similar?

All sounds very daft to me, but there may be something they need your input for that she/they have neglected to pass on? The logical/sensible thing for them to do would be to write to you, but there may be some sort of confidentiality issue that prevents that (?) - i.e. they need you (or DP) to be part of the process but the 'invite' has to come via DD, iyswim...

In your shoes I think i'd start by asking DD if it's okay to phone them up - not on her 'behalf', but just to get a clear picture about why they are saying you/DP need to be involved. If DD says no, suggest she ask them to put what they're saying in writing, so you can try to make sense of the written explanation together. At the moment, your not hearing anything first hand, and while I'm not suggesting for a moment that your not being told everything DD thinks is relevant there may be a bit of the message that's getting 'lost in translation'.

Whatever the problem I hope it's resolved quickly and simply, and, no, on the basis of the information given here what they are asking for doesn't seem 'right'..

hope that's helpful

L&P

BD

at any point i can take family members to my appointments.

the problems with mental health issues is that those suffering can see life in a completely different way, and family members can help build a better picture

x

BD - yes I think she has written to them to ask them to clarify so we'll see what comes of that.

Bubblesboo, I take your point and I would be happy to provide further info to the mental health team with her permission, if it would help. But I think it should be the individual's choice whether or not to involve family members and treatment should not be withheld or given on that basis surely? What if, for the sake of argument, she had an absolutely lousy relationship with us (she doesn't!) and she had chosen not to tell us she was seeking help?

There are extensive medical notes covering my daughter's background and she is articulate enough to tell them anything they want to know.

In any case they ought to have contacted her to tell her the reason for the delay and not just left her to wonder what was going on. I think, having satisfied themselves that there was no immediate risk she was pushed to the bottom of the pile. :wacko:

K x

I can understand how parental input may be helpful, but it certainly should not be required. For some people seeking mental health support, the parents are the cause of the problem! EVen when people have a good relationship with their parents, they don't necessarily want them knowing everything.

They should not discuss her with you, but you are allowed to discuss her with them if you wanted to. Generally though, even this is not encouraged.

She may have a valid complaint if she wanted to go down that route. Alternatively, you could see if she would agree to you going along and talking to them, which might be the quickest way for her to get the help she needs. They should be able to discuss confidentiality with her if she wants. You could raise your own concerns about your involvement at the appointment if you wanted to.

She could call her local authority PCT mental health Complaints team, she would have every right to go down the complaints route, NAS sent me some information because since J has been in a residential school and moved residency Gp it has been an absalout nightmare to get J to be seen by a psychiatrist, we are now going down this route.

If she rang NAS she would get more clarification on what her rights are, the Adult Mental Team should of definately should of informed her that they required more history from her parents and only if she wanted to do that, they wouldnt of been allowed to go behind her back because of confidentiality.

Anyway I recommend the NAS Helpline.

JsMum