Sign in to follow this  
Stella63

Update on OJ in France

Hi

Sorry to go on (as in my other thread) but so proud of OJ. He is in the South of France on a 9 day water sports PGL holiday with his school. The first couple of days were really tough for him (and me!!) and I was getting phone calls and texts saying he couldn't cope, was homesick, his filling had fallen out, his trainers were wet, didn't know which trousers to wear, didn't like the food, didn't want to tell members of staff what he was worried about etc etc. Yesterday he called and was very upbeat - had been on a catamaran, banana boat and successfully wind surfed. Today he didn't phone until just now, they had jumped off a gorge into a lake and this was one of the things he had been paranoid about (even though they don't have to do it!!). Apparently there were 3 levels, low, medium and high and he did all 3!! :thumbs::thumbs: He was so full of positives and there were no negatives at all!!

To put this all into perspective, 4 years ago in yr5 and 6 OJ was sitting at a desk outside the classroom with a screen around his desk because he couldn't deal with the other children, couldn't do assembly, play time or p.e. and the EP involved told us he would not cope in mainstream secondary school. Well it just goes to show that sometimes these professionals get it very wrong!!

I have to say that this was something he chose to do (I would never have even suggested it!!) and although I knew it would be extremely challenging for him in many ways, if he succeeded, it would give him so much more confidence and self esteem and my feeling is that that is happening - I heard it in his voice tonight - he is really pleased with himself and now he is familiar with the routine (and they are told exactly what they will be doing each day- very structured) he seems happy to do everything on the agenda.

Tomorrow they move to a new site inland to kayak down the Ardeche river - it will be interesting to see whether OJ deals with the change in location because of what he has now achieved.

Stella xx

Great to hear he's got over his homesickness and is enjoying himself. Maybe if he'd only gone for a weekend he'd have spent the whole time miserable and never wanted to go away again. Glad he's having a nice time. I hope you get a bit of a chance to relax now he's happy.

What fantastic news, you must be so happy and excited for him. Well done OJ :thumbs:. Hopefully you can relax and enjoy the rest of the break yourself now.

Well, he's back!!! Looking taller, slimmer, browner and extremely whiffy!!! He seemed to think that going in the sea and getting wet on a kayak equated to having a shower!!! :whistle::whistle:

It really was a hugely positive experience for him and he has matured during the time away. He took on every single activity on offer and even won a prize for being the most achieving pupil!! :notworthy:

After an 18 hour coach journey home I think he will sleep well tonight!!!

Thanks for all your support and comments - If someone had told me 2 years ago OJ would do this holiday I would never have believed them!!

Stella xx