Sign in to follow this  
greg

vaccines

Hi,

I posted a few days ago but I'm still having loads of difficulty finding out the manufacturer of the jabs given to my son when he was 8wks, 12wks and 16wks old in 1998. I'm certain his jabs have had an affect on him - he started producing green poo soon after the jabs and his poo still isn't normal (although not green anymore!). It's possible the mercury in the jabs is the cause.

I've been on the Net all week, with no results so far, except this:

The jabs for Diptheria, Tetanus and Pertussis were probably combined with Hib in one injection (there's only one batch number written in his notes); there were 2 brands of such jabs around in 1998; it seems very likely my son's was made by Pasteur Merieux (since Aventis Pasteur and now Sanofi Pasteur), because the other one needed the Hib component added as a separate vaccine.

I can't really take this any further without confirming the name of the manufacturer, even my GP seems unable to tell me. What's the point in recording information like the batch number if it's totally useless?

Can anyone help? Any ideas? :wacko: No reponse yet from the Jabs website. Has anyone had similar experience?

Cheers,

Bid

The batch number should be more than enough to identify the vaccine and it's origin Greg. Throughout my nursing career I have had to record batch numbers for vaccines, IM analgesia and so forth. The batch number should have some identifying data within it so that it can be traced back (usually lettering amongst the numerical part of the batch no.

Assuming that the jabs were administered by a health visitor at your local practice (which is the protocol in my area) the records should definitely show more detail. For example, the vaccines would have had to be ordered in for the clinic, there should be a record for that order - not necessarily in your childs notes, but there should be a record somewhere in their system of THAT particular order of vaccines. This should identify the brand of vaccine. Any time a drug, vaccine etc is delivered to the practice an invoice is signed which identify's the precise contents of the delivery. If the Health visitor ordered the vaccines through the local pharmacy, records should be archived as to exactly what brand the vaccine was (and the records should be found from their source, eg. the pharmacy too). That has to be recorded by law - for the very reasons that you illustrate, sometimes there are side effects and the drug batch needs to be traced back.

Unfortunately, I have the lovely task of checking in drugs as part of my job. So I know for a fact that the stuff isn't dropped off without rigorous checking in procedures being carried out.

1) Whoever immunised your child is you first port of call.

2) If it is your health visitor, contact her and try that route.

3) Make enquiries about their ordering source and record keeping, ask them to check their invoices for the brand names and check them against the date that you child was immunised.

Hope that helps.

Edited by DrinkTheElixir

Thanks for that - it's useful to know that the surgery should have the info somewhere. Maybe they just didn't fancy having to dig it out? I'll get back to the surgery and apply some pressure...

Thanks again,

Bid

Thanks for that - it's useful to know that the surgery should have the info somewhere. Maybe they just didn't fancy having to dig it out? I'll get back to the surgery and apply some pressure...

Thanks again,

Bid

Maybe it is a case of really having to dig around for it, who knows. I do know that if it takes alot of admin time to find what you are asking for some (not all) but some GP's practices will charge you for it. My local paractice charge �15 admin fees. That said, if they are feeling generous they may let you off on that one.

It is also worth noting that some records of immunisations may be purged from your notes after 9 years. They basically have a records spring clean. I had problems retrieving evidence of my Hep B immunisations. I needed them so that I could sign up on BUPA's nurse agency - but I was immunised in 1989, so the records had been destroyed. I had to have the immunisations and titre levels done again.

Really, I would think that if they keep their records correctly, there should be some evidence of the drug order and delivery. How long ago was your child immunised?

Hmmm, I see what you mean. There's been no talk of a fee as yet, and I'd be a bit ragged off if it was suggested - paying for information that should be readily available?!!! - but we'll see.

In answer to your question about when my son was immunised, it was back in 1998 and he's now seven.

Cheers,

BidL

Hmmm, I see what you mean. There's been no talk of a fee as yet, and I'd be a bit ragged off if it was suggested - paying for information that should be readily available?!!! - but we'll see.

In answer to your question about when my son was immunised, it was back in 1998 and he's now seven.

Cheers,

BidL

There may difficulties with your child being immunised so long ago. If they try the route of checking invoices, they may have purged their records and disposed of the invoices already. I am not sure how long receipts are kept in the system before they dispose of them.

That said, I would be pretty astounded if there was no way at all to find out the brand of vaccine used some other way. It sounds like pretty slap dash record keeping if they don't record the vaccine sufficiently in his notes or in their practice records to trace patients vaccines. After all, it isn't as if we as patients or carers have sourced the vaccine and had them administer it. They themsleves have ordered the prescription, accepted the deliver and administered it. In that sense they have a responsibility to ensure that meticulous records are kept for eventualities such as these.

Put it this way - they have to record the batch number by law. Why on earth do they bother if that number is rendered useless because there is no additional identifying information?

If all else fails, you may be put in a situation where you have to gather possible pharmacuetical companies potentially responsible for that vaccine - which may give you a short list of 2 or 3 companies (as you have mentioned in your original post) and trying to trace the vaccine using the batch number. The companies should be able to tell you whether the batch number is one of theirs. Hopefully, you won't have to do this yourself and your GP will try to help you.

Additional information: There is a book that every GP should have (I have one as a nurse) called the British National Fomulary. It is a joint publication of the British Medical association and the Royal Pharmaceutical Society of Great Britain. In that, you can look up any prescribed drug, it lists the pahrmaceutical companies that make the drugs, what the drug looks like (so you can identify it) the doses, side affects and indications. You can buy this book at Waterstones in the Medical section.

In the back of the book there are a handful of yellow slips which can be torn out. These slips are to be filled in if any side effects not yet recorded are reported by patients. The GP's fill in the form with the drugs details and prescribing info, the reaction and their own details. This form is then sent off to the Committee on Safety of Medicines as a 'Report of Suspected Adverse Drug Reaction'. These are the guys here:

http://www.mca.gov.uk/aboutagency/regframe...csm/csmhome.htm

This is the reason why it is necessary to have the brand name - because without it the GP can't properly fill in this form when it is needed. And that is another reason as to why I find it astounding that the GP has no record of the brand. Whichever, you have the number so it may be a case of approaching the companies with it. POM also make this vaccine by the way - I am not sure about it ever being combined with with the HIB vaccine being combined with any other vaccine though. As far as I am aware it is entirely seperate. My son was immunised at the same times as your child ( he is 7) and I have a 2 year old - the HIB was always given as a separate vaccine in both cases. Not sure whether this is everyones experience though.

As for bowel problems, my son was plagued with bowel problems amongst other things. We switched his diet to Gluten free after he was tested for sensitivity. It showed that he was sensitive to Gluten. His bowel problems dissapeared within a week on a gluten free diet. Thankfully he was not sensitive to casein and so is ok with Dairy.

I wish you all the luck in the world - I hope at least some of my post has been of some help. Certainly look into having your child tested for Gluten and casein. The test is �60. Paul Shattock is in my neck of the woods and tested my son, it is really worth the money - they have limited government funds - hence the high fee, but they will reassess the fee if you are on a low income I believe:

http://osiris.sunderland.ac.uk/autism/dietinfo.html

Edited by DrinkTheElixir

Thanks for the link for Sunderland uni, I've been looking for that as its pretty local to me, I don't firmly believe the vaccine played a part in my sons problems but will be worth looking into.

My son was recently seen after an allergic reaction to tuna fish and the GP and nurse who seen him were suspicious that may have been caused by an intolerance to mercury which is being found more and more in this and other fish

Thanks for the link for Sunderland uni, I've been looking for that as its pretty local  to me, I don't firmly believe the vaccine played a part in my sons problems but will be worth looking into.

The University is around a 25 minute drive for me, it is on my doorstep just about :D That said I still posted the urine sample. You get sent a kit with a bottle for the sample and instructions on how to post it back. It consists of collecting the urine and deep freezing it, then insulating the sample in bubble wrap, newspaper or whatever. If you are close by though you can drop the frozen specimen off yourself.

I too am not sure whether the MMR had any effect on how my son is - but there is always a tiny doubt. I suspect that it is largely genetic and in all honesty I can see small traits in my son that quite honestly, my husband and I have ourselves! Regardless I have opted not to have my youngest immunised with the triple vaccine, I just don't want to tempt fate.

As for Paul Shattock's work, well, you don't have to doubt the vaccine to see the value in the tests like you said, it is worth it just to see if some of the symptoms can be alleviated by altering the diet. It is a two way operation, you fill in Paul's questionairre about your child and their development plus a few other things which help him in his research. In return you find out if you child is sensitive to gluten and dairy - regardless of the reason behind the sensitivity. Everyone wins all round.

My son is better off on the diet for sure, his tantrums have lessened dramatically, his bowel issues are resolved and he seems calmer. We know if he has had gluten in error, he becomes hyper and bad tempered. Having gluten in his system (as research indicates) has an opiod affect and he reacts to it quickly. It is scarey to think that Gluten can stay in an intolerant childs system for up to a year - when I discovered that I was horrified!

At first altering his diet seemed insurmountable, but now I find it pretty damned easy. He gets pasta, flour, biscuits, pizza bases, crumpets and bread free on prescription. The rest I make. Hope that the test answers some questions for you B)

Hi, just wanted to say that eventually the GP's practice nurse got back to me with the info - she has trouble getting it too.

Turns out my son's jab did contain mercury, so now I'm going to find out what the next step is...

Watch this space...

Sorry just wanted to ask about the free precriptions for gluten free stuff. Did your gp accept the sunderland findings or did your son have to attend an allergy clinic? My son is on gluten free as had bad stomach aches and it has definately made a difference. We do find it expensive and try and make own bread etc. He hasnt been tested formally. I was wary of spending the money on the Sunderland tests if a gP would not accept.