bluefish

Fear of dying (me not ds)

Hi not posted for a while.

I have a huge problem at the moment and have been suffering major panic attacks. I am terrified I am going to die! This in itself sounds daft, but I have real physical symptoms and and too terrified to visit gp incase they confirm my worst fears. I think it is almost 100% panic I dont know what would happen to ds if anything happened to me and I am scared.I also think I am going through a period of grief for ds as as he is almost 7 he seems more autistic by the day and the difference between him and his peers is huge which is new to me as I never really accepted just how different he is! I feel very teary and not sure who on earth I can talk to. I feel very stupid posting this but i am not sure anyone else would understand

Hi bluefish -

No, It doesn't sound silly at all. It's really scary if you have no other support networks - especially in the wee hours if it sneaks up on you :(

I don't really have any practical advice, but just thought maybe you'd find it reassuring to know that you're not the only one who's had these thoughts.

If you do have some physical symptoms that something is possibly wrong, though, you really do need to speak to someone, because as well as confirming your fears they can also allay them - and that needs to happen sooner rather than later. Panic attacks themselves can feel like 'physical symptoms' - even if you know they're panic attacks - so chances are you're in a vicious circle at the moment. :( Easier said than done, I know, but I hope you can make an appointment with your GP very soon.

L&P

BD

Edited by baddad

Agree with Baddad.

Panic attacks are fairly common, as you'll see if you google the term. I haven't suffered them myself but I had a close friend who had them frequently, and she described the feeling that she was out of control, going to die and was about to have a heart attack - or go mad. The first time it happened she dropped everything and rushed to see her GP round the corner, who was able to reassure her that her life was not in danger even though to her the symptoms were very real and physical. She then went on to have several sessions of therapy with a clinical psychologist and found it very helpful.

So do go and see your GP - it can only help. Knowledge is better than living in fear of what might happen.

>:D<<'>

K x

Sorry to hear this. I can understand you as I too am a sufferer of this. It seems a lot worse when under stress and this is how it is probably affecting you just now as you are thinking more of your sons changes and his future. Go to the GP as they may offer help in the short term to relax you and may refer you to a psychologist to talk it through. Try taking slow deep breaths in through your nose count for four and out through your mouth count for four. Do this a few times when you have the panic as it is the breathing that causes it. [overbreathing] Hope things get better. >:D<<'>

The process of finding out your child has a lifelong diagnosis, and the daily stress you sometimes have with school, family, everything :wallbash: can catch up on you.

So sit down and think about 'how you used to be, and how you used to feel'. It seems like there is a big difference now. Has that difference been consistent and for some time? If so, then you need to visit your GP and talk to them.

You may or may not need some medication, the GP will have a better idea.

Do not under estimate what stress, anxiety and pressure can do to your physical and mental health.

You need time to come to terms with your child's diagnosis and to take one day at a time.

Your fear of death might actually be a fear of what will happen to your child after your death. When you have a child with special needs you automatically begin to delve and peer into the future and worry about 'what it will hold' for your child. You don't do that with your other kids. You may plan 1-5 years into the future and make short term targets for longer term goals.

Hi

I have this fear too :tearful: Not just because of the future of my two with ASD but also the future of my NT boys.My eldest son is so bright and would love for him to go to UNi but if I am not here to help him succeed it will be a very hard struggle for him,I dont want that.As a single mum it is very hard to even think about :crying:

There dad is not reliable and none of my family would be able to take all four boys.In fact even if I had to go to the hospital for any reason I have no idea who would look after them.

If you have any health concerns you need to get it seen to,medicine is so advanced now that even if someone is terminally there are ways of prolonging life :thumbs: