Sign in to follow this  
MelowMeldrew

Tap locks

As stated before my son's water obsession is costing me very dear, as he turns taps on day and night, sometimes 40 or 50 times a day if at home, and from kitchen to bathroom relentlessly (Even after midnight and at 5am). I need a device or tap that can be locked so he cannot turn the water on at all, it is the only thing that will prevent it at home, I have seen such taps for outdoors but none for indoors, anyone know where I can get either a lockable tap, or a device to prevent him turning it on ? do alzehimers and young children have devices to prevent scalding, these might help ?

You have to be able to isolate all new plumbing and they normally use those things that you see on washing machine connections that you turn a quarter turn to switch on or turn off. Can you locate something like that for the taps you need to turn off? It would depend on him not seeing you do it for it to work, but it has worked very successfully for our shower - the other kids even know how to turn it back on.

I need to lock 6 taps he will just go one to the other. There is some device they tell me you just fit over the tap which can be locked which sounded ideal but I couldn't find it online. I've had 3 taps replaced in 6 months he has just ruined them, and issues with the hot water tanks, if we get a water meter I've had it, I'd be bankrupt in 3 months ! I am more worried about the hot water taps which he leaves on continuously, electricity bills have gone up third too.... In the daytime I used to put a bowl of water outside in the garden and he would play with that all hours and leave the taps alone, but at night it is back to the taps again, or even ignoring the static bowls of water and messing with the taps anyway, I am getting it 24/7 at present and all hours of the night too. He seems to prefer that to sleeping now. No distraction technique works any more so its direct action via preventing him turning the taps on, or I am running up and down stairs all hours trying to turn them all off. He gets aggressive now if I try to stop him as well. It's pointless locking the bathroom up and the kitchen. I can't control this obsession at all...

I would think something like the taplock handle lock would work o indoor taps as it replaces the handle, and most (althugh notall) taps have the same fitting for the handle

or get the local council round to see what they can suggest - a disabled facilities grant might be the way to go to cover the cost of a plumer to re-fit all plumbing appliences if becessary!

Edited by KezT

I would think something like the taplock handle lock would work o indoor taps as it replaces the handle, and most (althugh notall) taps have the same fitting for the handle

or get the local council round to see what they can suggest - a disabled facilities grant might be the way to go to cover the cost of a plumer to re-fit all plumbing appliences if becessary!

I looked at this site yesterday, however it carries a virus warning ! A grant sounds OK, but will I need confirmation from an consultant it is necessary ? Last time I made enquiries they laughed and then got annoyed at us ! said "Keep him under control..." That's like saying to someone in a wheelchair get a grip and walk instead...

I looked at this site yesterday, however it carries a virus warning ! A grant sounds OK, but will I need confirmation from an consultant it is necessary ? Last time I made enquiries they laughed and then got annoyed at us ! said "Keep him under control..." That's like saying to someone in a wheelchair get a grip and walk instead...

we got a grant to have a bathroom replaced/rebuilt as DS wouldn't shower. council OT did a report saying it was neessary. we self referred to the DFG team

we got a grant to have a bathroom replaced/rebuilt as DS wouldn't shower. council OT did a report saying it was neessary. we self referred to the DFG team

They also said "Get him rehab or sorted out so he stops..." :wallbash:

Adapt a small water feature- get a tap, a pump and a small reservoir. He would be able to turn the tap on and play with it whenever he feels the need. It would keep his relaxation/de-stress behavior without costing you a fortune.

Adapt a small water feature- get a tap, a pump and a small reservoir. He would be able to turn the tap on and play with it whenever he feels the need. It would keep his relaxation/de-stress behavior without costing you a fortune.

Great idea - if the issue is just de-stressing. If the issue is the fact that there are taps in the house which are just waiting to be turned on.....

cb

Last time we tried that he emptied the water feature all over the floor and turned it on and off at 3am of a morning ! It isn't a stress thing, he just likes doing it it may be the sound or something he likes. The worst part is he will turn the cold tap off when he stops but will ALWAYS leave the hot water tap on. He did it at 4 years of age and never stopped. I've had new ceilings put in where he left the plugs in and flooded the bathroom, he has done that twice in the past, what I did was hide the sink plugs so he couldn't leave them in, he doesn't do that now thank goodness but still turns the taps on. I put bowls of water out in the garden and he will play with that OK, but I'm back to square one if it rains or he is indoors, night time etc, then it's taps on again any time of the nigh or the early hours, he starts around 5 am onwards..... Nothing short of turning the supply off will work. Then maybe he WILL get stressed because he can't do it. An average day with my autistic child lol... but my utility bill has gone up a third and I dare not apply for a water meter ! He is attending a re-assessment in the next 2 weeks, hopefully they can help him address this compulsion, we have totally failed. If we get the taps sorted it won't address the compulsive aspect.

Hi there, I was just googling taplocks there and this appeared right near the top. I realise this form is three years ago bit I was wondering if you ever got to the bottom of this problem?

I have an autistic brother and like your son, he is becoming more and more fixated on turning on taps all over the house. I have looked everywhere but can't seem to find anything.

If you managed to find anything at all, any information would be hugely appreciated.

Have you considered those taps like you find in public toilets ? The ones where they only run for a minute or so, unless you re-push the top.

WOW my Grandson has recently started being obsessed with turning on taps in the bathroom , when he disappears from the living room 9 times out of 10 now you can bet he is in the bathroom with the taps on and comes back with soaking wet sleeves

I was worried he had an obsession with washing his hands but it seems he is fascinated with water , was wondering if it was just a faze as there are always 'new things' he is into and then sometimes just grows out of them and then on to his new thing :D

I think tap locks would be an excellent idea if you can find them as 40-50 times a day is alot ( I think my Grandson does it about 4-5 times a day so it is manageable at present! ) xx