Sign in to follow this  
A and A

Angelman Syndrome

Does anyone know much about or have experience of Angelman Syndrome. I only came across it in a web search the other day. Considering a lot of the symptoms match our sons i'm surprised it wasn't mentioned in the diagnoses process. I'm probably missing something that exclude him from that syndrome.

Cheers

Anthony

My brother has worked with a couple of children with Angelman's Syndrome in his job at a respite centre. He finds it very hard to keep them safe because they simply do not learn from being told not to do things that may be dangerous. They need constant 1:1 supervision and need to be physically lifted from dangerous situations as they just laugh if you tell them to stop. But he really enjoys working with them because they are always happy and laughing, and enjoy interaction and affection.

I do not know very much about it at all, but it does sound like it would present very differently from autism. If you think you may have the wrong diagnosis for your son, I can only suggest you go back and ask for Angelman's to be considered, as the approach you would take would probably be very different from autism.

I think that really answered my question, he has very little interaction and affection. He appears to be happy most of the time, never had a tantrum. If we stop him from doing something he shouldn't he may have little moan, then he'll move off back into his own little world.

Thanks.

Edited by A and A