go0ner

Hello from Brighton

Hello everyone. Have just found this forum. I am a 33 year old male with AS living in Brighton. I have had a diagnosis for about 7-8 years but have always struggled to accept it. Depite having three degrees I am just about managing to hold down a (fairly menial) administrative job in a university in London. My life at the moment is a fairly dull and uninspiring; I am living at home with my parents, have very few friends and have never had a meaningful relationship with a girl. I have lots of interests: music, art, history, languages and so on but find it hard to communicate these to others.

I have come to a stage in my life where I feel that I have to acknowledge my condition, stop hiding from the world and start to live my life authentically. I have never known or even communicated with anyone else with AS/ASD before and am hoping that by making contact and sharing experiences with people here I can begin to feel less isolated and more at ease with myself and my condition.

I have never known or even communicated with anyone else with AS/ASD before and am hoping that by making contact and sharing experiences with people here I can begin to feel less isolated and more at ease with myself and my condition.

Nice to meet you GoOner.

From experience I would say that making contact and sharing experiences certainly helps. Most importantly it's good to know there are a lot more of us out there.

Hello, and welcome to the forum.

I am an adult with AS. I was diagnosed about 3 years ago, but I suspected for a couple of years before that.

It's good that you manage to hold down any kind of job at all. Try not to judge what you do based on how other people may see it when they look at your qualifications. You have a menial administration job, but you don't have to attach any value judgements to that or put yourself down. Not many people do manage to get the job of their dreams. Unless you get lucky that way, you probably need to look for excitement outside of work.

Do you know of any Asperger/autism groups where you live? I have really enjoyed meeting with other autistic adults. I would recommend it :)

hi i am charlotte am from hastings (i know brighton well) i am at university doing a postgreaduate course at essex univirsity. i was diagnosed with AS five years ago i am now 30.

i have found meet and chating to others on the spectrum of simmalar ability to myself to be the best thing and the thing that has helped me the most. i continue to learn about myself and ASD and it has taken me time to accept and just be who i am most of the time though i still am very good at hiding.

Hello, and welcome to the forum.

I am an adult with AS. I was diagnosed about 3 years ago, but I suspected for a couple of years before that.

It's good that you manage to hold down any kind of job at all. Try not to judge what you do based on how other people may see it when they look at your qualifications. You have a menial administration job, but you don't have to attach any value judgements to that or put yourself down. Not many people do manage to get the job of their dreams. Unless you get lucky that way, you probably need to look for excitement outside of work.

Do you know of any Asperger/autism groups where you live? I have really enjoyed meeting with other autistic adults. I would recommend it :)

Hi guys, thanks to everyone for the replies. It seems like a lot of people have found it helpful to join a local group so I think that will be the way that I go.

Charlotte, hope that you are enjoying it at Essex University. I was there about 10 years ago.

will be interested to hear if you find any good local groups in brighton area as once i finish my course i may well move back that way.

i am enjoying my course and find the staff very supportive and helpful though i am not so keen on colchester and the university though i think that is largely as till i came i know know one in the area and that was only a tear ago.

you may want to look into a yearly conference that happens called Autscape www.autscape.org i have met a lot of friends there and found i have learnt the most though attending the conference.

if you should wish you can email me privately as we live so close to each other.