KezT

horrible Horrible Histories!

Over the summer, DS realy got into reading all the Horrible History books, and the Hrrible Science, Horrible Geography and several other Horrible books. I was really pleased, thinking he'd fond something useful and educational to do with himself......

Now he's back at school we've discovered that he has assimilated absolutely everything written in them as absolute gospel fact. Including all the jokes :rolleyes::wallbash: He can't grasp the difference between the factual bits and the joke cartoons :crying: Having an absolute nightmare trying to get him to do his science homework without referring to aliens :whistle::wallbash::blink:

I've gone right off that Horrible series now

Nightmare! My daughter loves the whole series too and avidly reads them in bed, fortunately she seems able to get the joke bits or will question me if she's not sure. We also watch the TV programmes constantly (she never gets bored of the constant repeats) and just picked up a few audio books too. In the summer holidays there was a Horrible Histories day - it took a bit of effort to prise her off the telly long enough to get dressed! I like them as I learn loads - eventually... I have to hear the same fact about 20 times before it sinks in whereas she hears it once and it's there forever - wish I'd had her skills when I was a student :P.

I do sympathise with you too though. It's really important that I ensure Beth gets the right info the first time around as it's very hard to convince her that a fact she's learned is wrong. When she was little it took about three years to get her to believe that lions were the yellow ones and tigers were the stripy ones, not the other way around :blink: .

my 13 year old son did the same,

he was suppose to read a novel for high school,

over the summer holidays and he read horrible histories instead.

then he was asked by his english teacher to do a talk on his book/books.

eeeeewwww did she make a mistake asking him to talk to the class ....lol

he had to be taken from class cos he got into a total state.

and frankly had a lot to say.......lol

noogsy xx