Sign in to follow this  
baddad

Is this the end of curry night as we know it?

After some months on the waiting list #1 son has just got a place at Scouts.

Only prob is it's on Friday night, which is, traditionally, curry night :tearful:

Now we could have a really early curry - but that flies completely in the face of all the natural laws of curry consumption. :(

Or we could have a really late curry - which sort of fits the whole curry ethos if your prefacing the meal with several pints down the pub, but doesn't really seem appropriate for a 13 yr old just on his way to bed. :(

We've had opening discussions about switching Curry night to Saturday nights, but for traditionalists like us it really doesn't seem right at all.

Oh dear. Decisions, decisions. :unsure:

L&P

BD :D

Switch to Saturday night, definitely. But if the change is too difficult to cope with, my advice is to start gradually - say, with a Korma - and gradually work up to the Vindaloo...

Hope scouts works out well. :thumbs: O recently thought he'sd give the Air cadets a go as a result of a trip to a recent air show. He tried one session the other evening and found it all a bit... er...military. Also I think he was a bit disappointed that learning to fly a Hawk was not on the agenda. :lol:

K x

Edited by Kathryn

Switch to Saturday night, definitely. But if the change is too difficult to cope with, my advice is to start gradually - say, with a Korma - and gradually work up to the Vindaloo...

Hope scouts works out well. :thumbs: O recently thought he'sd give the Air cadets a go as a result of a trip to a recent air show. He tried one session the other evening and found it all a bit... er...military. Also I think he was a bit disappointed that learning to fly a Hawk was not on the agenda. :lol:

K x

Beavers didn't work out too well... but that was a long time ago (in a galaxy far far away...) and I think it had more to do with the group leader who 'knew all about autism' (she'd seen rainman and had a friend whose brothers little girl went to school with a boy who...). These days Ben's unlikely to be quite so 'impetuous', so touch wood :pray:

The biggest bonus is that most of the troop were peeps from his old primary school, so I'm hoping he'll be able to expand his social horizons from it.

We're not gonna invest in uniform etc until he's got at least three weeks under his belt, so it might only be a temporary change to curry night.

I think in my yoof I managed two weeks as a scout and about the same as a sea cadet! :lol: I didn't mind the knots and kayaks - it was the discipline I rebelled against ;):whistle:

Hope O decides to give the air cadets another go. If not, just buy him a can of Red Bull... it gives you wings apparently. Or a can of sprout water - that gives you wind, so him being little and all if you get him a stunt kite he'll be well away.

L&P

Good idea to hold off buying the uniform for a bit. :unsure:

My mum was opposed to all uniformed organisations so I wasn't allowed to join the girls brigade etc. in my yoof. :crying:

O had long hair so stood out a mile at the cadets. Also he is still quite a titch which is painfully obvious when next to his peers let alone 18/19 year olds, so maybe in a year or two he might fit in better. But they meet twice a week for 3 hours each time, can you believe that??

K x

My mum was opposed to all uniformed organisations so I wasn't allowed to join the girls brigade etc.

Blimey - I'd forgotten all about that one... I lasted longer than in the scouts or sea cadets, but they threw me out as soon as my voice broke. :(

oh this happened to us!! DS started Beavers as soon as he was old enough, went through to Cubs, neither of which affected curry night as he was home by 8pm after Cubs, unfortunately Scouts doesn't finish until 9.15 so it's usually knocking on for 9.45 by the time I've dropped the other two boys off. When he's been there a while you could see if you could share lifts with someone (if your DS would be ok with this of course), that's what we do so every other week we have curry night, the week I pick up we have to switch it to another night. Someone else has just joined in with our Scout run so should only be 1 in 3 we have to miss now - yay!

We just have to have a couple of glasses of wine before curry is eaten, just not the same otherwise.....!!

oh this happened to us!! DS started Beavers as soon as he was old enough, went through to Cubs, neither of which affected curry night as he was home by 8pm after Cubs, unfortunately Scouts doesn't finish until 9.15 so it's usually knocking on for 9.45 by the time I've dropped the other two boys off. When he's been there a while you could see if you could share lifts with someone (if your DS would be ok with this of course), that's what we do so every other week we have curry night, the week I pick up we have to switch it to another night. Someone else has just joined in with our Scout run so should only be 1 in 3 we have to miss now - yay!

We just have to have a couple of glasses of wine before curry is eaten, just not the same otherwise.....!!

Its a plot! What has the scouting organisation got against curries? They probably want us all to live on beans and tinned irish stew cooked over a campfire, the *********!

He wouldn't have a problem with sharing a lift, but it still means he can't have a curry which would be a huge blow, unless, as i say, he's eating at 6.00 or 10.00, which doesn't really work. Looks like Saturday night will have to be curry night from now on :tearful:

L&P

Oh BD, say it ain't so..........

Friday curry nights are an institution!! I often think of you and yours on a friday eve... And i don't even eat curries/ys!

Oh BD, say it ain't so..........

Friday curry nights are an institution!! I often think of you and yours on a friday eve... And i don't even eat curries/ys!

Ahhh... 'tis sad to relate, I know, but certainly that Great Hinstitution faces its biggest threat yet - Scouts! :unsure:

(dah dah dah dah

Dah dah dah dah - Dahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh)

Ben hasn't made up his mind yet, but it will either have to be saturday night is curry night (and the dawn of a new era/ Hinstitution)

or he can have a boil in the bag one at 6 o'clock and I'll get a proper one to eat alone (:() before going to pick him up. The ball (or should that be Onion Bhaji?)is in his court.

Still, Friday nights sort of took a terminal blow when Wossy got canned - it's just not the same without him.

Hope you and your little chap are going good, and that your Friday nights, whatever you're doing, are as good as mine used to be :)

L&P

Hope you and your little chap are going good, and that your Friday nights, whatever you're doing, are as good as mine used to be :)

L&P-dupe

Me littlun is now an inch shorter than me..... ooooooo'eck. :blink:

And.... AND..... AANNNNDDDDD!! I only went and won tribunal... he's in a fabby super-duper secondary... go me *smug grin*

Ps - I'm still mourning the loss of JRossy.. don't make me go there as well as no curry night. :tearful:

>:D<<'> >:D< >:D<<'> and >:D<<'>

And.... AND..... AANNNNDDDDD!! I only went and won tribunal... he's in a fabby super-duper secondary... go me *smug grin*

What?? You naughty girl, why didn't you say before? :shame: That's fab news! :thumbs::dance::clap:

K x

Ps - I'm still mourning the loss of JRossy.. don't make me go there as well as no curry night. :tearful:

>:D<<'> >:D< >:D<<'> and >:D<<'>

:thumbs::thumbs: great news re skool. Hope fabby dabby secondary is, erm, fabby dabby!

Ben's overtaken me in shoe size already ( :unsure: ooer!) at an 'official' 9.5 while I'm a 9, but is still about an inch shorter. I have no doubt he will be overtaking me very soon. I look at him lumbering up the path and haven't a clue how he got so big - I still expect him to be my little boy and instead there's this dirt great young man coming at me. I do want him to be luvverly and tall, but why can't he wait another couple of years? :tearful:

:D

that's brilliant news!!! :thumbs:

My Harvey isn't much smaller than me now and only a shoe size less that me, in fact his new ones do fit me, although I def won't be borrowing them!!!!

I've been taller than my mum since I was about 14, but she is a midget! My brother, 4 years younger, overtook me about a year later and in my last year at school I wore the school shirts he'd grown out of instead of the other way around. I've caught him up a bit now, he is only about an inch taller than me and we wear the same size shoes. It's quite weird that my little brother is bigger than me.