jlogan1

AT LAST A DIAGNOSIS

hi wondered if anyone could suggest a good book,my dd of 14 has just been diagnosed yesterday with asperegers it has been a long hard slog and taken about 3 1/2 years since she hit a brick wall and we knew something wasnt quite right,she hasnt been to school for over 2 years and gets just 1 hour a week tuition which only started this term!anyway she kind of accepts the daignosis although she came to me at 2am and had a few tears but has does anyone know of a good book as she says she 'wants to know who she is'and are there any books for siblings also have a 13 year old son and 10 year old daughter( who finds dd of 14 very difficult)and the 2 girls spend their lives just annoying each other,any advise gratefully accepted. :tearful: as not really sure where we go from here. :tearful:

regards julia

(((((((((((hugs))))))))))))

My dd was diagnosed last year aged 14.

I'm not sure if you've read the book Aspergers and Girls?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Aspergers-Girls-Tony-Attwood/dp/193256540X

we bought it pre-diagnosis and I found it really useful to read - it includes perspectives from another of women about what it's like to be a girl with Aspergers.

HTH

Carol

hi thanks for all the hugs!! strange that it just seems so weird the clinical phycologist first thought it could be aspergers over a yera ago and we have had to wait all this time to get someone to see dd,they saw her for hour and half and then discussed it between themselves for all of ten seconds to all agree,we now have to wait another month before we can get an appointment to see them and i assume get an officail diagnosis and find out exactly what they picked up,not realy sure how it works but assume that we are told this? dd seems to have taken it quite well even posting it on her facebook account!! :rolleyes: have looked at book you recommend and have had that one from library before,but need something that is a bit more basic for dd .shes not too good on reading unless it is twilight connected or vampires!she is due to start a city and guilds art course on line tommorow and not sure how we will get on. :tearful: but is so nice to know that there are others out there,seem to be a bit few and far between girl teenagers being just diagnosed,even my dd seems to be bitter that 'why didnt my school teachers realise that soemthing was wrong?'but i have tried to tell her that me being mum knows her best and even i didnt know ,have spent the last 14 years thinking'lauren is just lauren'when she does weird and wonderful things,and think she just hit a brick wall 3 yeears ago,we had lots of problems that year and think she just realised that she couldnt pretend anymore. :tearful: but will stop rambling,thanks for hugs again

regards julia >:D<<'>

Hi Julia,

Does sound very similar to my daughter, Emma. She hasn't read that book either :rolleyes: but has read the twilight books lots of times over.

I do feel angry as we had concerns about Em socially since primary school and school kept on telling us she had lots of friends, Summer birthday, lazy, a daydreamer, a loner blah blah blah - in secondary school she actually made a friend (her first!) but I now realise it's a pretty typical picture as the friend is very protective of her and acts as a buffer between Em and the wider circle. Thankfully they are still friends, if this girl hadn't been so loyal I'm sure Em would have crashed too. As it is, although her attendance is pretty bad (84%) she hasn't had any long spells away from school.

She's suffered academically though from the absences and the constant worrying about what other people were thinking and saying. We were lucky that, post diagnosis, she was offered a course of CBT, which seems to really be helping.

Carol

x

twilight books .we are onto our second set because the first are falling apart :tearful: and dare i say my dd has even changed her name to 'demetria'after demetri in the book!!!however i only use that if shes in a bad mood when she informs me my name is not lauren!!and yes as with you she had no real friends i remember seeing her 5 years ago wandering the playground at lunch time by her self,it was heartbreaking ,but 'shes shy,quiet,likes to be by herself',she would even refuse to go up in assemblies to recieve certificates and would even avoid being given housepoints so that she couldnt win anything,she has one friend who she sees perhaps once a month,but has never been to academy( she should be in 3rd year)and doesnt really go anywhere apart from walkies during the night :whistle: we are pretty remote luckily.academicaly she was and is bright but all the school have managed to come up with is 2 exams and a city and guilds online.mind it is very difficult to get her motivated,because she just wants to waffle on about her own thing :wallbash: when she does do some work she does pretty well,but we only get 1 hour a week tuition.sorry new to all this still what is CBT?

and hey look 84% wouldnt that be great :thumbs: i have dd 24/7, so i woudnt worry about that( i can wish)right off to get younger one ready for school! regards julia

Hi.

http://www.asd-forum.org.uk/forum/Index.php?/topic/25111-good-book-for-explaining-autism-to-8-yr-old/

This thread contains a few ideas for books.It also includes a link to others.

Also

Freaks Geeks and Asperger Syndrome by Luke Jackson.If you look it up and look at people who brought this also....there are loads of other ideas .

The London Eye Mystery by Siohan Dowd [my son Ben who is 12 and has AS and is a very keen reader and writer recommends this]

The Curious Incident of The Dog In The Night Time. :)

Karen

Em did read "A curious incident..." - again it was before diagnosis.

CBT is cognitive behaviour therapy. The psych picked up during the assessment that she has very low self esteem and confidence so this is about altering the way she thinks about things.

Carol