Sign in to follow this  
Porillion

Considering Asking for Diagnosis for Myself

Hi, all,

I am an adult, in my 40's, and have had a large number of problems in my life relating to social interaction, depression and anxiety. Gradually I've developed some coping mechanisms, but I still have several major handicaps in my life. Until recently, I had no possible framework by which to name the problem. However, two years ago I met my now fiancee who has two boys: One with High Functioning Autism, and one with Asperger Syndrome. I can see a lot of me in the eldest boy with Asperger's, and my fiancee (a staff nurse) has said the same.

Before I continue, for those not wanting to read a longer post(!), I recently took the Autism Spectrum Quotient (AQ) and Empathy Quotient (EQ) tests devised by Simon Baron-Cohen et al that I found online. I score 37 on the AQ test (clinically significant at 32 or higher) and 15 on the EQ test (clinically significant at 30 or lower; 20 according to the website I used).

My understanding is that other adults have considered asking their GP to be referred for a diagnosis, but that this can be difficult to be granted and a lengthy process (and expensive for the NHS). My questions are:

•  
  • Can anyone offer any suggestions as to how I can best put my case to my GP that I need to be referred (given the list of on-going problems I have, below)?
  • Is there any organization or helpline I can contact that can offer support and advice for this also?

My current problems (and traits!) boil down to:

•  
  • Inability to hold down a job because of these problems, usually ending in depression or other mental health problems...
  • Frequent and severe migraine - not something I guess is related, and that for the moment stop me working,
  • Chronic and apparently progressive long-term memory problems - which I'm wondering if could be related to ASD or AS,
  • Inability to function with changes in routine or plans for the day, until I've calmed down about it,
  • Fixed and rigid interests and ways of doing things,
  • Socially avoidant and unable to adequately work out people in social situations,
  • Few and poor, usually short-lived friendships - several ending with comments like: A lack of empathy; Not knowing when to stop talking; Talking, talking and talking about the same thing over and over; Not being "socially aware",
  • Unable to function in any "political" environment, such as an office,
  • Can't project myself into the future or otherwise think on my feet in social situations.

Thanks for reading, and in advance for any suggestions you can offer.

Hi porillion and Welcometo the Forum. :)

I have a son aged 12 who has AS.

The NAS has lots of useful information on requesting an assessment for an AS diagnosis as an adult.

They have a very good web site.

There are lots of adults here who have been through the process and even more considering it so I hope you will obtain lots of useful advice. :)

http://www.asd-forum.org.uk/forum/Index.php?/topic/24656-what-difference-a-late-as-diagnosis-makes/page__pid__295265#entry295265

After I had posted I noticed this thread and thought you might be interested.

Karen.

Edited by Karen A

Hello, and welcome to the forum.

I am an adult with Asperger's. I was diagnosed aged 25, about 3 years ago now.

I don't think migraine or memory problems are normally associated with Asperger's, but there are certainly some traits there that are worth investigating. Given the problems they have caused you, understanding their cause could explain a lot.

There is very little formal support for adults with Asperger's, but understanding the cause of your difficulties may be a good starting point for you to work on learning new skills and to help others understand you better. It can also lead to more appropriate treatment for mental health difficulties, although this depends on finding skilled professionals.

Some GPs don't even know what Asperger's is, so if you can obtain the NAS leaflet on Asperger's, it might help you state your case. A short list (like the one in your post) detailing your main difficulties would be useful, as it's easy to forget what you meant to say. It might also be useful to see if your partner can come up with a similar list, as she may observe traits you are unaware of.

At some point in the diagnostic process, it may be necessary to produce evidence about your early childhood development, as Asperger's is a lifelong condition and you need evidence that the traits have been there since early chlildhood. It might be worth talking to a relative who remembers you then, or see if you have any relevant school or medical records that raise Asperger-related issues.

Hi.

I'm 45 and was diagnosed with Aspergers a couple of weeks ago. I went to my doctor and rattled through all that I felt, the difficulties I had and have had since childhood and she wrote a letter to the local psychology department (NHS). They got in touch and I had a few meetings with a psychologist (I think it was) a couple of months later and she got me to fill out a questionnaire and she gave me one for my mum to fill out about what I was like as a child. At the end of that she said I had Aspergers.

I'd previously had a diagnosis of depression in my 20's and anxiety/social phobia in my 30's but after taking all that in and reading a bit about it I always felt it didn't get to the root of the problem but I always had problems describing how I felt and it's really only been the last few years where I've gotten my head around it enough to be able to describe it well.

Why not make a list of everything you have problems with and take it in with you to the doctor. I always had problems of getting really anxious in the waiting room then my mind going blank when I went in to see the doctor.

Hi porillion and Welcometo the Forum. :)

I have a son aged 12 who has AS.

The NAS has lots of useful information on requesting an assessment for an AS diagnosis as an adult.

They have a very good web site.

There are lots of adults here who have been through the process and even more considering it so I hope you will obtain lots of useful advice. :)

http://www.asd-forum.org.uk/forum/Index.php?/topic/24656-what-difference-a-late-as-diagnosis-makes/page__pid__295265#entry295265

After I had posted I noticed this thread and thought you might be interested.

Karen.

Thank you, Karen. This has been a very useful thread to read. :)

Hi, all,

I am an adult, in my 40's, and have had a large number of problems in my life relating to social interaction, depression and anxiety. Gradually I've developed some coping mechanisms, but I still have several major handicaps in my life. Until recently, I had no possible framework by which to name the problem. However, two years ago I met my now fiancee who has two boys: One with High Functioning Autism, and one with Asperger Syndrome. I can see a lot of me in the eldest boy with Asperger's, and my fiancee (a staff nurse) has said the same.

Before I continue, for those not wanting to read a longer post(!), I recently took the Autism Spectrum Quotient (AQ) and Empathy Quotient (EQ) tests devised by Simon Baron-Cohen et al that I found online. I score 37 on the AQ test (clinically significant at 32 or higher) and 15 on the EQ test (clinically significant at 30 or lower; 20 according to the website I used).

My understanding is that other adults have considered asking their GP to be referred for a diagnosis, but that this can be difficult to be granted and a lengthy process (and expensive for the NHS). My questions are:

•  
  • Can anyone offer any suggestions as to how I can best put my case to my GP that I need to be referred (given the list of on-going problems I have, below)?
  • Is there any organization or helpline I can contact that can offer support and advice for this also?

My current problems (and traits!) boil down to:

•  
  • Inability to hold down a job because of these problems, usually ending in depression or other mental health problems...
  • Frequent and severe migraine - not something I guess is related, and that for the moment stop me working,
  • Chronic and apparently progressive long-term memory problems - which I'm wondering if could be related to ASD or AS,
  • Inability to function with changes in routine or plans for the day, until I've calmed down about it,
  • Fixed and rigid interests and ways of doing things,
  • Socially avoidant and unable to adequately work out people in social situations,
  • Few and poor, usually short-lived friendships - several ending with comments like: A lack of empathy; Not knowing when to stop talking; Talking, talking and talking about the same thing over and over; Not being "socially aware",
  • Unable to function in any "political" environment, such as an office,
  • Can't project myself into the future or otherwise think on my feet in social situations.

Thanks for reading, and in advance for any suggestions you can offer.

Thank you, everyone, for your kind replies.

Hi Porillion,

Im new to this forum as it looks like you are. I have booked an appt with the Dr. next Tuesday where im going to ask for a diagnosis referrall...im preparing myself by adding relevent characteristics that present themselves during the course of the day onto my mobile so I can recite them without forgetting key points (like I have a tendancy to do) when I make my request.

Amongst other things I would have to stongly consider against giving my boy the MMR jab if im on the spectrum...a huge can of worms...we gave my daughter single jabs as a pre-caution but the gvt put a stop to that by hijacking the availability of the Mumbs jab...forcing everyone to go down the MMR route...anyway iv gone off topic.

Im hoping im not going to get much resistance, hope it works out ok fo you.

Iv not heard of the EQ test...im going to give that one a go now...not sure how much faith I have in these tests though...I weighed in with 39/50 on the AQ but a lot of people with Social Phobia's or OCD for example (im deffo an ocd'r & probably socially phobic) would probably score high so am not convinced but it certainly got me thinking !

Added later...scored 23 on the EQ..yet another suprise as I have always considered myself caring of others, if no tactless at times.

Edited by BlueLotus

Hi Porillion,

Im new to this forum as it looks like you are. I have booked an appt with the Dr. next Tuesday where im going to ask for a diagnosis referrall...im preparing myself by adding relevent characteristics that present themselves during the course of the day onto my mobile so I can recite them without forgetting key points (like I have a tendancy to do) when I make my request.

Amongst other things I would have to stongly consider against giving my boy the MMR jab if im on the spectrum...a huge can of worms...we gave my daughter single jabs as a pre-caution but the gvt put a stop to that by hijacking the availability of the Mumbs jab...forcing everyone to go down the MMR route...anyway iv gone off topic.

Im hoping im not going to get much resistance, hope it works out ok fo you.

Iv not heard of the EQ test...im going to give that one a go now...not sure how much faith I have in these tests though...I weighed in with 39/50 on the AQ but a lot of people with Social Phobia's or OCD for example (im deffo an ocd'r & probably socially phobic) would probably score high so am not convinced but it certainly got me thinking !

Added later...scored 23 on the EQ..yet another suprise as I have always considered myself caring of others, if no tactless at times.

Thanks, BlueLotus,

Sorry for the delay in replying, but I've only just got round to reading posts again. I share your shock at a low EQ score! But at least I take a crumb of comfort in the fact that I (we) am shocked and not simply brushing it off.

Take care.