Sign in to follow this  
mygifts1306

at what age has your son started using deodorant

Dear all, this is a strange one, i need to be frank now, ds who is 7 came home from school today and his armpits smelled really badly despite him getting a bath in the evening, have other mums,dads,gardians encountered the same, i cant help thinking 7 is really young, 1. should i be concerned? 2. should i get him seem 3. what deodorant will be mild enough for him to use?

thanking you all in anticipation of your reply

mygifts

Hi.

I think children use deoderant a lot earlier than they used to.We need to remind Ben but our elder son uses it in huge amounts and he has not come to any harm.It is not unusual for lads to even carry a can in their bag on PE days.

Both lads like right gaurd and sure.They are more expensive than some others but do work and are often on two for one at supermarkets if you shop around. :)

My son is 13 and hasn't started yet, but then he doesn't seem to need to at the moment. He hasn't hit puberty yet. Once or twice we have suggested it and have bought him some, so hopefully he'll get into the habit. He doesn't do a lot of rushing around - doesn't particularly like sport so doesn't get hot and sticky.

K x

My son was in year 5 or 6 at primary school when he got the "Lynx effect" and asked for some for his PE bag. So age 9 or 10 I suppose. At that age they had a male teacher and he talked to them about this sort of stuff! I dont ever remember him smelling bad, he was always ever so fussy about hygiene, and still is. My daughter, however, often needed to be reminded about this sort of thing. And sometimes she is still smelly. As you can see from my signature, my son is NT and my daughter AS.

Seven does sound awfully young. My lad was nearly 15 when we started noticiing, shall we say, an odour and had to encourage him to use deodorant. He wasn't happy about using it at all. At first we tried the gel ones because we didn't think he'd be able to aim the spray-ons onto the right spot as he doesn't like to look in mirrors. We didn't find the gel ones very effective though and had to move on to spray-ons and it took him a while to get used to them. Basically, he was just pressing it once and getting a puff of air and was still smelling by the afternoon, so we had to coach him on how long to spray and where to aim it and he does it effectively now. Maybe at 7, I'd be inclined to do it for your son or help him with it certainly.

~ Mel ~

Harvey has been using it for at least 2 years so he would have been around 9, I'd gone in his room to get his dirty clothes, had a pile of school shirts and they had a bit of a whiff so bought him some deodrant. I get him right guard or sure, the roll on kind (he'd prob spray himself in the eye or something!!). My 8 yo girl hasn't started using it yet.

ASD boys often seem to hit puberty quite early. My son was about 8 when he started to smell bad, at 9 he had terrible acne and was sprouting hair all over the place.

We took him to a paediatrician in case it was likely to cause problems later on, but hormone tests and x-rays showed him to be in normal range. However at 19 he is still just 5'6" tall, and I feel that they were wrong about his growth.

One of the problems we had was getting him to wash and use deodorant, as at 8 he just did not see the need. There was a sympathetic male TA at school, and we ended up sending in a wash bag with soap and deodorant in (I think it was Dove or Simple, something quite gentle). The TA would take him for a wash and spray when needed - my son was more willing to co-operate for him than he would for me.

I'm afraid it took years of gentle persuasion mixed with nagging, but things began to change at about 15, He is now as hygiene-aware as any other teenager, and no longer to be avoided in public!

thank you all for reading and responding to my post.It took me a long time to find my own post, i could not remember the title, typical female :notworthy: , I bought him Dove with cucumber just a roll on one, he knows to how to do it and finds it tickling, he knows to let it dry before he puts on his shirts, I read somewhere that Spray on deodorant were mega bad. We have been giving him two washes, but i worry about his skin as it is not good for him to have two washes ( well i read somewhere that small children should only get a wash every other day. To move further with this thread my lad does not seem to bother with hygiene, from a young age when i was teaching him about the potty, he really was not interested, i have often tried to reason with him by saying " if you can work the xbox and all the steps surely you can follow the steps about wiping the toilet seat, or wiping your bottom", i really cant get my head around this, does thier aspergers make it impossible to comprehend such simple task, it appears to me they are simple anyway.

Thank you for all your comments

Jax

My boys are 14 and 17 and it has been a struggle to get them to do any self-care things. The 17 yr old used to not want his friend round cos he smelt, but later went into a phase of refusing to shower. He is now at college and has new friends and has now started showering once a week. Not sure if he actually uses any shampoo or soap and he has always refused to use deodorant. I found a special one that said it lasted for 48 hours. I gave it to him to keep in his room and left it up to him (after years of nagging with no success). He certainly smells much less often.

The younger one used to be really horrible to his brother when he smelt but is now going through his own phase of not wanting to shower because we 'keep on at him'. For a clever boy he doesn't get that if he was clean we wouldn't need to keep on :wallbash:

Fortunately they have both generally done a good job of cleaning their teeth, though we had major probs with finding a toothpaste the youngest could cope with. He used the Milk Toothpaste until he was about 12 and they then repackaged it to say 0-3 mths :wallbash:

I can remember my eldest having some friends round years ago, they were about 7/8 and one of the girls had a very strong BO smell about her. I was surprised by this at the time.

i had same problem used to come home from school excessive sweating really bad used soak my uniform still does have change clothes regularly it called 'hyperhidrosis' is medical term for it though i went docs in the end as driving me mad .... they gave me roll on called ' driclor' ( aluminium chloride hexahydrate) so i would book into GP or nip into local chemist and explain about his oversweating and they will be able to assist you i think can give you something over the counter without going to the docs ...

XKLX

they dry deodrants i found over time are better i wash under my arms with soap every morning to try my best to get rid B.O smell so annoying frustrating and when anxiety gets worse so does the sweating ..... just make more socially embarrassed without the A.S!!!

:) Hi. My daughter's only recently been diagnosed (A., nearly 9 yrs old, 'Aspie') but has had VERY definate B.O. since Yr 1. She has a shower every night, and we use PIT ROCK 'pure natural mineral salts'. Works well, although I was dubious about it 'til we tried it.

(Took A. to the Dr.'s about her B. O. - he suggested natural salt stuff due to A.'s young age). Hope that helps... :)