Sign in to follow this  
Mumble

Huh?

Afraid I couldn't think of a title other that 'huh?' 'cause that's about all I could say after this one! Would love to know others' opinions as I'm suitably confused as to what happened.

I was crossing the road today at a zebra crossing. There's a van and some cars behind it someway in the distance, otherwise it's clear. I figure (although I'm pretty poor at judging distance/speed) I have time to cross the road or if not the van has time to see me and slow down and/or stop.

Anyhoo, I'm about halfway across and said van comes really fast at me, accelerating towards the crossing. If I hadn't of run, I may be a rather flatter penguin right now. He ends up stopping with most of his van over the crossing. Safely on the pavement I turn back to the van driver (who had his window down) put my arms out to indicate 'what the ######?'. I though (okay, yes I am naive :rolleyes:) he'd apologise and we'd both be on our way. Instead he starts waving his arms around shouting about '###### pedestrians'! :shame:

That's all fine, I get that, he was just a rude irate van driver. That's not the problem. The problem is that behind him was a police car with two policemen in it. :police: :police: They witnessed him firstly nearly running me down :shame: and then getting angry :angry::shame: :shame: , but they did nothing - surely if someone commits a traffic offence as the van driver did, the police should have at least spoken to him??? What message does this give out - that it's okay to play ten-pin bowling with pedestrians on zebra crossings? :unsure::huh: Hence the :huh: - I am genuinely confused as to why they watched and said nor did nothing? :unsure:

I don't know either. Perhaps they were on their way to something way more important - like an attempt to steal the crown jewels or something. :rolleyes:

K x

First of all they weren't traffic cops

The amount of paperwork they would need to complete is horrendous

The incident would not help them meet any of their targets

They were going off shift and no longer get overtime

They've just received their notices that they are at risk of redundancy

They should have been off shift hours ago

and/or were generally fed up

and probably on route to mcdonalds or KFC to get their tea. :whistle:

It can work both ways.The police that do the after school patrol just smiled as I rapidly put on my seetbelt the other day. :shame:

If you'd informed those cops they'd have a duty to act. As it was they probably couldn't be bothered, must have had an important meeting with some doughnuts.:rolleyes:

I presume the van driver just didn't see the zebra crossing (not very observant of him, but still possible), and therefore thought you were just some casual pedestrian, wandering across the road without a care in the world about any traffic that might be approaching. :whistle:

Reminds me of the time I was driving on the top level of our Tesco car park, on a two-way section of road, where the road markings aren't as clear as they ought to be. A driver came round a corner in the opposite direction to me, coming almost head-on towards me. :o I slowed down and he got out of the way in time without any harm being done, but not without him giving me all sorts of grief for driving in what he thought was the wrong direction on a one-way bit of road. But it's definitely two-way, and the road markings were there, albeit faded. :rolleyes:

Blimey - did Mumble hit a raw nerve there?! :lol:

James