clairenunns

really worried

this week has been a terrible week for my son, his behaviour has been a nightmare both at home and a school, today hes hit a boy in his class with the spine of a book and cut him just below his eye, when he was told off by teacher he said hes going to harm himself and teacher shouldnt expect him in school on mon (teacher training tomorrow) because he'll be dead. all this behaviour has started after contact with their dad on sat, hes only allowed to see them one day a month (long story) each time they see him this is how it affects my son. im pretty much at the end of my tether as this is affecting my daughter as well. should i take my son to the doctor? his teacher was really concerned and so am i x

He could have 'angry depression' which is common in autism. If your doctor would treat him as though he had depression with autism

(threats of self harm, lashing out physically and verbally)that should benefit him.

http://www.autism.org.uk/get-involved/campaign-for-change/campaign-actions/you-need-to-know.aspx

this week has been a terrible week for my son, his behaviour has been a nightmare both at home and a school, today hes hit a boy in his class with the spine of a book and cut him just below his eye, when he was told off by teacher he said hes going to harm himself and teacher shouldnt expect him in school on mon (teacher training tomorrow) because he'll be dead. all this behaviour has started after contact with their dad on sat, hes only allowed to see them one day a month (long story) each time they see him this is how it affects my son. im pretty much at the end of my tether as this is affecting my daughter as well. should i take my son to the doctor? his teacher was really concerned and so am i x

I would write down your concerns to your gp in a letter and request he add it to your sons notes, also in the letter write down what support, services you would like your son to access, such as councilling, anger management, play therapy, referral to childrens and adolescent mental health service, and put it clear what your son has said and what he has threatened, that way you have raised concerns, and it is then your sons GPs duty to respond and provide support for your son and his carers.

I recommend Youngminds in difficult times like these too.

http://www.youngminds.org.uk/parents/parents-intro

In the meantime due to his threats of harm to himself I would supervise him, keep extra vigilant, but where he doesnt pick up that you are concerned otherwise he may act out more.

Youngminds do booklets for children that are feeling angry, anxious, depressed ect. which have good stratagies for the young person to try out.

It is very distressing and disturbing when children react like this, but to me he sounds very stressed and unable to communicate his real inner feelings, it will no daught take time for your son to adjust to the arrangements for his fathers contact and if that is a trigger then have extra support available afterwards, such as a chill out area at home, somewhere he can get some space, maybe some booklets that look at feelings and emotions, relaxation stratagies such as breathing exercises, and if you feel it would be apropriate some sport activities that help him cope with his anger such as Judo, martial arts, where they learn self disaplin.

I would keep a diary and monitor his behaviour, if at any time you are concerned he will act out on the self harm contact his gp straight away and request an urgent appointment.

It sounds like a really difficult time for all of you.

JsMumx

if this behaviour is triggered by seeing his father 1 day a month then harsh has i may sound id just say forget seeing the father one day a month isnt worth it in my opinion.........I know i dont know any of the back story concerning the father all the ins and outs but theres something amiss.........it isnt woth the hassel and upset.......

Hope youre son is ok.

i agree about the contact issue, last year social services through the court stopped any overnight contact and stated one day a month, we're back in court in dec to look at reinstating overnight contact and this worries me x