ktf

too many thoughts

Hi my son is 13 and in the process of being diagnosed with Aspergers.

The biggest issue we have at present seems to be what he describes as too many

thoughts...thoughts of events that have past,present,future, tv programmes,

conversations you name it he says he cannot think straight as everything crashing together.

I have not been able to find much information on this and was wondering if anyone has got this

issue and anything i can try to help him he feels like he`s going insane. :wallbash:

The pyschologist has told him to type everything onto his laptop which he says has helped a little.

It seemed to begin last year maybe coinciding with puberty.

Any ideas please? :blink:

Hi ktf

Not really sure about this one, although I know my eldest is always busy in his head. He could distract himself he's never needed others to do that! To me his brain is hyperactive (rather than his body). This is only a problem if it is distressing him, which it obviously is your son at the moment.

Just guessing but I would say that perhaps this is the way that anxieties/fears/worries are coming out in him at the moment. There are likely to be some changes happening to his body, and there may be changes at school and what is expected of him at this age. They may be talking about SATs next year or making their future choices of subjects, etc? Perhaps there has been some change in the children around him, someone left or joined the school, or a change of teachers? It does sound like an anxiety-provoked issue to me.

Could you perhaps get him a fun book about teenage life/puberty? I had a little book about being Cool in School which proved quite useful. Maybe if you're watching a programme with young people in you could ask some fairly general round about question about them or their friendship/problem etc to spark of a conversation about school/friendships/being a teenager. I've usually found we have to travel a long way round the houses before we get where we are going, when it comes to getting information out of my boys!

Good luck.

i can personally relate to what your son describing as everything crashing together and if is he is going crazy mad insane mind plays tricks on you the frustration puberty mixes with your head and become lost in fog of hormones but now also aspergers too everything racing thoughts irrational to slow it down clam down have pause or stop button in our heads we don't seem to have that ability just goes round and round never ending your son has explained it really well in word terms as isn't easy expressing emotions/feelings can become overwhelming too much pressure .... sometimes hard to tell what is reality and what is not .... as A.S confuses you without puberty hard task to break down step by step

does your son have anxiety or depression?

XKLX

i found helpful useful to find info on comp net and read up on it find that isn't you you aint' ALONE how ever much feels that way everyday! helps relieve frustration isolation part of it! does he get any MH support? he on any meds?

XKLX

Hi my son is 13 and in the process of being diagnosed with Aspergers.

The biggest issue we have at present seems to be what he describes as too many

thoughts...thoughts of events that have past,present,future, tv programmes,

conversations you name it he says he cannot think straight as everything crashing together.

I have not been able to find much information on this and was wondering if anyone has got this

issue and anything i can try to help him he feels like he`s going insane. :wallbash:

The pyschologist has told him to type everything onto his laptop which he says has helped a little.

It seemed to begin last year maybe coinciding with puberty.

Any ideas please? :blink:

Has the clinician considered a comorbidity with ADD/ADHD?

Hi.

My son Ben always has lots of thoughts and ideas going through his head and has always been like that.Ben has AS but is also very intelligent.He can tell me about something he saw in passing that I never even noticed.He describes things in great detail.However I went to a presentation by Luke Beardon a fortnight ago.He says that even for people with AS who appear to cope dealing with everyday Social Communication can be exhausting.

Karen.

Edited by Karen A