Sign in to follow this  
justine1

Got the final statement

Hi everyone

I got Sam's final statement today which is a relief.However what do I do now that I want to move to a different county? I am ever so sorry as I keep asking the same question but nobody has really explained(no offense)

I have been really indecisive over moving,however it was mainly because we were still going through the statementing process,now the statement is here I feel better "armed" to approach the new county.

It has been hard as everything did seem to be going well for us but it lasted a month and now it just seems unrealistic for me to be 10miles away from uni,my family and Dan.I also,as I mentioned in another post,am having huge problems with childcare and as it is a small town I dont see how it will be resolved.

Anyway,I have found a house swap,which is a 10min walk to my brothers house,there is a mainstream school nearby which happens to have two SEN units,one is for 10 kids with physical disabilities,the other for 15 kids with other SEN(not very specific) My brother went to look at the school,as his son is due to start school next year and he said it looks brilliant for disabilities,they have a SEN "person"(my brother isnt sure exactly but he is very qualified) and he is present everyday at the school.

As well as this there is also a special school with ASD units about 6min drive away.

My question is do I speak to my LEA about moving or do I contact the LEA I will be moving to? I did contact the other LEA before but that was when I wasnt planning on moving,they said they couldnt help.Also when do I let them know? I have done a house exchange before and it took just 2 weeks!! Though I hope it will be at least a mth, it still doesnt leave much time to sort everything out.

Thanks in advance

I know nothing about this whatsoever, but congrats on getting the statement finalised :thumbs:

My guess is 'transfering' the statement will be anything but straightforward, but at least it will give you a solid starting point.

This may be an area where you need to go 'Off Piste' to get the best advice; involving your social worker team from the outset and getting them on your side and checking out any advisory or advocacy groups you can contact (IPSEA, peeps like that). You could talk to both LEA's first, but get them to put anything they tell you in writing and don't 'agree' to anything until you've checked it out. Not in any way suggesting they would 'sell you a pup', but the reality could be that one LEA sees a potential placement opening up in their hugely underresourced portfolio while the other sees someone from out of town trying to grab up resources they haven't got. That kind of conflict, with the best will in the world on both sides of the fence, isn't easy to resolve.

L&P

BD :D

I know nothing about this whatsoever, but congrats on getting the statement finalised :thumbs:

My guess is 'transfering' the statement will be anything but straightforward, but at least it will give you a solid starting point.

This may be an area where you need to go 'Off Piste' to get the best advice; involving your social worker team from the outset and getting them on your side and checking out any advisory or advocacy groups you can contact (IPSEA, peeps like that). You could talk to both LEA's first, but get them to put anything they tell you in writing and don't 'agree' to anything until you've checked it out. Not in any way suggesting they would 'sell you a pup', but the reality could be that one LEA sees a potential placement opening up in their hugely underresourced portfolio while the other sees someone from out of town trying to grab up resources they haven't got. That kind of conflict, with the best will in the world on both sides of the fence, isn't easy to resolve.

L&P

BD :D

Thanks Baddad that brilliant advice :thumbs: My brother actually suggested I arrange to see a social worker but dont know if they could help,I suppose its worth a try.

As far as school place is concerned, you have to get in touch with the educational authority (Council) where you are moving to, I dont think there is a lot of point doing this until you have a moving date. They will then allocate a school place.I have heard that in some places this can take some time. In the past you could go direct to a school but as far as I am aware it now has to be done through the council.

In general the council will honour a statement but will call for a review as soon as possible. This gives them the opportunity to bring the statement in line with local polices etc.

As far as school place is concerned, you have to get in touch with the educational authority (Council) where you are moving to, I dont think there is a lot of point doing this until you have a moving date. They will then allocate a school place.I have heard that in some places this can take some time. In the past you could go direct to a school but as far as I am aware it now has to be done through the council.

In general the council will honour a statement but will call for a review as soon as possible. This gives them the opportunity to bring the statement in line with local polices etc.

Thanks. I dont think contacting them when I have already moved will be an option as I am in full time education and cant take any days off,as it counts towards my nursing registration.So not sure what I will do with Sam if I move and he has no school place :unsure:

It is such a dilemma to be in :(:wacko:

Hello, I am in the same boat as you atm, except I am waiting for statement to be finalised before I move. I have spoken to the authority I will be moving to. They have told me that they will not look at son's placement until my solicitor confirms completion date. When that happens, the authority will take the existing statement and review within 6 weeks. I believe that if I am not happy with the reviewed statement, I can ask to re-assessment. Hope that helps xx

Hello, I am in the same boat as you atm, except I am waiting for statement to be finalised before I move. I have spoken to the authority I will be moving to. They have told me that they will not look at son's placement until my solicitor confirms completion date. When that happens, the authority will take the existing statement and review within 6 weeks. I believe that if I am not happy with the reviewed statement, I can ask to re-assessment. Hope that helps xx

Thank you Sandyn.I think I will get hold of the LA I will be moving to and see what they say.As I said before I had contacted them a few months ago and they said the LA I am in now should contact them.I will call again and see,I will also call PP and see what they say.

Thanks again.