Sign in to follow this  
Cat

ACT NOW Downing Street

Over the last few month 7 ardent campaigners within the autism community have been campaigning about the grave concerns that we have regarding the cuts to LA and PCT budgets, the benefit assessments that started their trials yesterday for those who are in receipt of Incapacity Benefit, and the change over from PCTs to GP consortia. Over 4500 parents,carers and adults with autism have signed in support of the ACT (Autism Campaigners Together) NOW Campaign and I would like to thank anyone here who has supported us. We will be closing our petition at midnight on Thursday so there is still time to sign in support but not much.

We can find no evidence that the Government have carried out an Impact Assessment that is required when a law is about to be changed. So in the absence of a Government Impact Assessment we have carried out our own. We have been astounded by the input that we have had. We have actually had a greater response that the Lamb Inquiry had from parents and carers.

On Monday October 18th we will publish our report at an event to be held at the De Vere Hotel in London and we will then hand over the petition side of the campaign to No 10 Downing Street. We have MPs and even a Lord attending our reception. We hope that we can make a difference - at the very least we have tried.

Cat

:thumbs::thumbs::thumbs:

At least the issue is getting widespread coverage.I know many other organisations across physical disability and mental health are also fighting hard.

:thumbs::thumbs::thumbs:

At least the issue is getting widespread coverage.I know many other organisations across physical disability and mental health are also fighting hard.

Yes it is gathering steam Karen and surely the next step must be for us all to join together because this will affect anyone who has a disability and of course many other people.

Cat

Edited by Cat

It would be good if there was a template letter that individuals could use to write to their MPs. I have heard from somewhere that one big petition with lots of names is still only one petition. It is better for people to lobby their MPs independently but as part of a campaign or something like that. Anyway, good luck.

Tes

It would be good if there was a template letter that individuals could use to write to their MPs. I have heard from somewhere that one big petition with lots of names is still only one petition. It is better for people to lobby their MPs independently but as part of a campaign or something like that. Anyway, good luck.

Tes

Agree with you Tes and you are correct about one petition counting as only 'one' petition no matter how many names there are on it which is why we are only handing a copy of the petition in at No 10. We are hoping to use the petition to actually petition parliament. This is something that my own group have done before. The petition and the Impact Assessment report, which will be published on Monday are only the first part of what I suspect is going to be a very long campaign. Round two will involve both parents and MPs who like it or not are there to represent us. Round two will be announced after the 20th when we should all know much more about where the axe is going to fall.

Cat

I wish you well with your campaign sorry ive just seen this.