Sign in to follow this  
JeanneA

Global Developmental Delay

Hi are then any other children on the forum that have global developmental delay? Glen is autistic and GDD, it can be genetic apparently, which due to my family history could be a possiblity.

Yes - it was DS's first label!

The geneticist thinks there's something genetic - Nicolaides Barraitser syndrome. Having been giving this some thought for the past year I think he has autism as well.

My neighbours daughter has global developmental delay,TBH the characteristics are sooooooo similar to ASD.She was non-verbal and also has hypermobility,which is quite severe. She now attends a special school and she has come along way since starting.

Forgot to add she was a prem baby and was dx'd at a very early age(before 2)

Edited by justine1

GDD is the UK term for the american PDD - pervasive Developmental Delay

From memory I think there are four PDDs. PDD-NOS (PDD not otherwise specified) is low functioning autism.

Depending on where you live in the UK you may or may not move on from GDD to LFA. I think it depends on whether your PCT thinks it's worth using their limited resources on carrying out more assessment on someone who is low functioning and already accessing special school, harsh though that may seem.

ETA: we were known to the paediatric team at ten days old, it's that obvious that something's not right.

Edited by call me jaded

I think call me jaded may have mudddled some thing up.

GDD is Global Developmemt Delay but I am not sure the equivilent is PDD.

Our son has PDD-NOS and he is at the high end of the spectrum.

There are quite a few children in my sons school who have GDD - no other diagnosis (he's in an SLD school) but they don't all have autistic traits or the social difficulties that come with it, although they do have communication difficulties. Logan himself has a diagnosis of autism with global developmental delay. Basically it just means he is delayed in all areas - he is coming on well at the minute but is still globally delayed compared to his peers.

Lynne x

Yes, I'm tired - it's been a long week. I wish I hadn't said LOW functioning at all, as that is not a diagnosis as such, just a description. And PDD is Pervasive Development Disorder, not Delay. The use of PDD-NOS was discussed a great length for my own son because he doesn't have any repetitive behaviours or obsessions. I'm pretty sure it doesn't necessarily mean high functioning. One thing is for sure is usage of diagnostic terms varies greatly from PCT to PCT.

There are quite a few children in my sons school who have GDD - no other diagnosis (he's in an SLD school) but they don't all have autistic traits or the social difficulties that come with it, although they do have communication difficulties. Logan himself has a diagnosis of autism with global developmental delay. Basically it just means he is delayed in all areas - he is coming on well at the minute but is still globally delayed compared to his peers.

Lynne x

Also didn't mean to infer that all children with GDD are autistic, just that some autistic children are never fully assessed and never move on from the GDD label. In my PCT there is a massive gap in diagnosis because the neurodevelopmental team don't assess children with SLD.