Sign in to follow this  
av16

Proud moment

Just wanted to share some good news and maybe give some hope to others :thumbs:

My DS -13 with Aspergers has had some difficult times over the last few years; exclusions from primary and secondary school, violent rages but today we found out he has been selected to play football for the district team (equivalent of county). :clap::party::thumbs:

Football has been his obsession for 5 years or more and he has really benefited from taking part in playing for a club team, his school and now district. He has been able to experience social situations he otherwise wouldn't have had - his talk is very superficial but he's made friends. His self esteem has improved a bit - he still says he's rubbish though!

I know that this is a relatively little thing and I know that school etc could fall apart again but it is so good to have some success. When he was a screaming angry unpredictable 7-8 yr old I didn't think he would ever do this so never give up hope! Encourage your child's interests as there can be many benefits. A colleague of mine's 16 yr old son (AS too)has taken up cycling and has joined a club and has part time work in a cycle shop. He's always out now- a year ago he was permanently excluded and wouldn't leave his room.

I'm now going to have a celebratory glass of wine! :party:

not a little thing at all! :notworthy:

Any parent would rightfully feel proud at seeing their littlun achieve something like this, and if there have been other difficulties to negotiate even more so.

So I'll join you in a glass of wine (would have anyway, it being the weekend, but that's not the point!) and don't forget to give the boy a spritzer!

L&P

BD :D

Well done for your sons achievements!

Fabulous news and you are right to be extremely proud and happy for him too :clap:. I love reading these kind of stories, they make me really happy. Thank you :D.