Mumble

How to...

I was just wondering, especially since we seem to have lots of new members (and it appears members who are new to forums) and also with the change in the forum layout, whether it would be worthwhile having either a 'how to...' section (like the guidelines bit) or pinned post, with really simple instructions about how to start a topic, how to post a reply, how to quote one member, how to multi-quote etc.

I thought it may save the mods some work and it would make the forum easier to read because quite a number of times recently, I've come across posts that are just a quote of a previous post, after which I tend to miss any change in the thread if someone later goes back to correct it.

Also, on the subject of ease of reading, I've noticed that many of the older threads (pre-forum re-painting) don't have the quotes formatted correctly anymore - these are ones that were correct (some are ones I wrote) but they are now incorrect; they often say quote in capitals but the quote is actually normal text and it can be difficult without working backwards, especially in multi-quote replies, to work out who said what, what is a quote and what is a reply. Is there anyway this could be fixed?

I think a "How to..." would be a good idea Mumble, what do others think?

I think replying causes a few problems, especially since the forum changes as there are two kinds of "Add reply" buttons, one which quotes a post and one which doesn't, and it's not obvious which one to use.

Maybe a "practice thread" would also be useful - i.e. a thread set aside for people to experiment with quotes, sizes, fonts etc. without worrying about making a mistake. I used to post on another site which had this and it was very useful for new people to get used to the technicalities.

I'm not sure what can be done about posts before the upgrade - apart from manually editing each one to tidy up the quotes. :hypno::hypno: Which I'd be happy to do, just for you Mumble, for a small fee of one bar of Green and Black's white chocolate - per post, that is. ;):D:P

K x

for a small fee of one bar of Green and Black's white chocolate - per post, that is. ;):D:P

Well make up your mind, do you want white chocolate or green and black (what is that, anyway - a mouldy zebra? :unsure:) chocolate? Some people just can't seem to make their minds up... :shame::whistle:

I still have no idea what the ''multi-quote'' is for or how to use it. :huh::lol:

If there's a thread where you want to respond to what a number of different people have said and quote what they have said, you click 'multiquote' by each of the posts you would like to quote (as many as you want). After this, when you click the big 'add reply' box at the bottom, you get a copy of each post you have chosen to quote, and then you can edit out the sections you don't want and add your responses in in-between. :)

If there's a thread where you want to respond to what a number of different people have said and quote what they have said, you click 'multiquote' by each of the posts you would like to quote (as many as you want). After this, when you click the big 'add reply' box at the bottom, you get a copy of each post you have chosen to quote, and then you can edit out the sections you don't want and add your responses in in-between. :)

Thanks.I will try next time. :clap::clap::clap:

I know this was mentioned a while ago now - and some of us catch on quicker than others because of using similar programs (like live messenger) and some people have used other forums which might help - but there really should be a clear place (ideally at the top of the page - not here - top like above meet and greet - not hidden in a topic forum) - that is purely and simply for "how to".

In particular how to reply - and how to reply in the place you want to post

This would require a full explanation of what everything in the full post editor does - from bolding text to inserting links - there's a lot it does - why not tell people at the start?

How to Quote

How to Multi-quote

The difference between fast reply and clicking reply on a person's post

A brief explanation of the member status things would't hurt.

It really would make it more user - friendly with a short paragraph saying what this forum is about - in a conversational way like an intro before having folders that describe how it all works - ideally under a heading that says "how it all works" - or "things you can do"

It would make more sense if these folders were not editable by anyone and a feedback facility temporarily provided for input and contestations and also for addtional ideas for instructions.

Also there's some people who don't understand the emoticons - I got taught this years ago by a friend using live messenger so I get what most of them mean - but there's still a few that confuse me and if a full list of explanations was available it might clear up certain confusions.

Also re: emoticons - I figured a lot more out when I'd pressed the "show all" button - but not everyone knows that it gives you words here to start with... and also that you can just manually type them in as well - again - I guessed this from previous messenger use....

And PM's - the info on these should be all in one place too

there's other things too - like the fact the forum rules is so subtle - this is fair enough within each sub-forum topic and stuff - but it really should be lined in with the "how to" in a clear and different coloured banner so it stands out

e.g. "How To Do's and Forum Rules" - see how this gets lost amongst all this white background?

Well the blue gets lost a bit too - or doesn't jump out at you anyway unlike a different colour

"How To Do's and Forum rules"

I really think this should be considered - for both new and existing members to check up on things like this in one place that is super clear that is what that place is for.

I know that the techie corner exists and people can look here - but to non-techie people the word can be intimidating and there is a hell of a lot of stuff to sift through that is quite daunting for some... and technically this section would still get plenty of use and could be later used as well for a replacement to a temporary folder I mentioned earlier so that people can still comment later...

Anyway...that's what I think...

Great idea Darkshine, however there are a few issues.

I've tried in the past to explain to some members how to quote etc. and have got there but it's taken a lot of trial and error and really having to think about what people are doing wrong - the main issue is that you can't show someone directly in type what to type because that works to quote/bold/etc. So you end up saying things like type [ quote] What you want to quote [ /quote] but leave out the spaces and that can be confusing to some people.

The best way round it would be if admin or the mods (coz of 'cause they have nothing better to do! :P ) could put up something with screen shots showing what to do - we can't give instructions this way as we can't post images.

Another issue is that some features work differently depending on which Internet browser / version you use. For instance, since I upgraded my IE, multiquote no longer works (clicking it works the same as quote, i.e. there's no option to click another multiquote). It would be very frustrating to someone if they didn't know this, followed the instructions, and it still didn't work.

I'm glad you've found the word list for the emoticons, although I really don't think it matters if you get it wrong as most people use them totally randomally :robot: anyway (always wanted an excuse to use that one!) :lol: Plus there's some that no-one will agree on the meaning of. This one :ph34r: we had a long debate about a while back. I think in the end we settled on it being a jaffa cake. :eat1::wacko::lol:

I can understand the reason for 'redding' (yep, making up words again! :rolleyes:) the rules but as far as I'm concerned most of them are just common sense and polietness and I think people know when they're breaking the rules - I don't think making them stand out will change that. If people want to be difficult, they'll be difficult. Much of it is down to interpretation anyway - if people feel attacked/upset/etc. they will often find a way to twist things to say they're against the rules when this isn't the case. Generally there's a 'nice' (for want of a better word) atmosphere here (try some other ASD forums for proof of that) and I would be concerned that this may change if too much focus is put on the rules. :unsure:

One thing I would like to encourage people to use is the 'Preview Post' option - this may guard against some of the unintended posts. I'm at a loss to understand how people quote others' posts with no addition of their own - if I understood why this happened I could explain how to avoid it. :)

Yeah the preview post option has virtually saved my life a few times - its a good chance to see how your post looks.

I didn't necessarily mean red you know - and I was thinking more of the rules about brands and stuff that I didn't know and mentioned brands 3 times before I noticed something about it and read the rules :D - this was about 2 months into using the forum btw - I just think if they shouted out a bit more I'd have been more inclined to press that button earlier.

I thought screen shots would be a great idea - just don't know about space and stuff for loading... but technically they could over-ride the thing that turns our text into emoticons and quotes and actually show the keystrokes on screen I think.

And definitely should be only done by admin or moderators - but forum members should be allowed a say as they are the ones who should judge the clarity.

I appreciate some things aren't clear cut - but it can be made clear that this idea is for pointers when people need them, are not rigid examples (as life has grey areas) and are there for reference both to these things and also to how to use the forum.

Ha - forgot to preview and made spelling mistake :lol:

Edited by darkshine

it would if it were darker

I've listed additional things in the other post as well.... Its just that there are so many questions and references from people about these things that I really think it would make sense to at least consider it - it doesn't seem like it was considered last time when you mentioned it (over than in a passing thought type way).

It just would make so much sense - this forum is a free service and that's brilliant - but it should be accessible to people and allow them the best chance at understanding how this all works and the best opportunity to express themselves while at the same time saving people from having to repeat themselves over and over in answering questions (and there's plenty I don't know yet) and also - why not have a welcome note as an intro to it? (might have said that in other post...)

I'm at a loss to understand how people quote others' posts with no addition of their own - if I understood why this happened I could explain how to avoid it. :)

So am I as I've just tried to purposefully do it and unless you quote, post, and don't say anything its impossible - it even warns you that you haven't said anything on certain button presses!!!

So am I as I've just tried to purposefully do it and unless you quote, post, and don't say anything its impossible - it even warns you that you haven't said anything on certain button presses!!!

Ok, got it - you click reply (in the option at the bottom of someone's post and then add reply (the add reply next to start new topic) took me long enough hehe

Intriguing... I just worked it out and now it doesn't work... maybe a glitch? Anyway I just tried it twice more and can't make it do it again - weird - er sorry for the mess I've made :lol::devil:

Edited by darkshine