fluffyblueberry

Asperger's and coeliac disease or gluten intolerance

It's often a view chucked out there - that that people with Asperger's or ASD are more likely to suffer from Coeliac disease or gluten intolerance etc...Although, I have read that this is actually a myth and that people on the spectrum are no more likely to suffer from such things. I'm undiagnosed but have many symptoms of coeliac disease and am about to be tested. At the least, I do have a gluten sensitivity.

I was just wondering how many on this forum have similar problems?

Thanks! :)

There are six of us and three have some kind of sensitivity, coeliac is in DH's family and my FIL died from cancer of the stomach. My ASD son has a much greater sensitivity than the other two so in our own case I would say it's not more likely but question wheter ASD has an effect on the severity. DS does seem to have disrupted metabollic processing of some kind.

Edited by call me jaded

I have problems with gluten, but coeliac disease has been ruled out.

I think gluten intolerance is very common though, and not necessarily connected with ASD at all.

I think most of us would be healthier if we cut down our gluten (and dairy) intake. We just eat too much of the wrong stuff, and then act surprised that our digestive system doesn't work perfectly!

No gluten intolerance or coeliac in my famly although there is a long history of weirdness and social disfunction (IMO undiagnosed ASD) :rolleyes: and some diagnosed allergies - my uncle (as aspie as they come) is allergic to alcohol and an undisclosed family member(as NT they come) is allergic to cocaine :whistle:

I thinkit's just as likely in the NT and ASD population TBH. Of course, my ASD son examines himself minutely for any small spot or mark on a daily basis, has hypersensitivity to pain and is convinced that anything wrong with him is terminal, so it could be that ASD people who have intolerances/allergies just notice/feel it more

It's often a view chucked out there - that that people with Asperger's or ASD are more likely to suffer from Coeliac disease or gluten intolerance etc...Although, I have read that this is actually a myth and that people on the spectrum are no more likely to suffer from such things. I'm undiagnosed but have many symptoms of coeliac disease and am about to be tested. At the least, I do have a gluten sensitivity.

I was just wondering how many on this forum have similar problems?

Thanks! :)

I tested negative for coeliac disease, but gluten fouls up my mood, thinking, and impulse control diminishes radically. Also casein. One of my two sons struggles with it it too, along the lines of what bettyhen said.

I've read there are less instances of coeliacs in persons with an asd than the general population, but there is a marked increase in other GI/bowel disorders. I agree with KezT too. Our bowels haven't evolved as quickly as our need for cash from the land!

EDIT: to add last line

Edited by dr0ne

I have in fact had a much more healthy bowel than what is normal, and I don't believe in a connection between coeliac/gastrointenstinal disorders and ASD. I got some more bowelproblems after I went on Zyprexa for 2 years, which isn't an abnormal thing since it has a big impact on the metabolic system (I went up 20 kg in the first month as a bi-effect, from a BMI on 17 to a BMI on 23). That said, the first 20 years of my life before any medication I wasn't away from school cause of sickness more than 1 time each year in mean, and I had only problems with the bowel when I had flu and so.

im addicted to milk, gluten, msg and aspartame. Benozates cause severe behavioural problems.

My son moves out of the Aspergers category and into more severe autism when he has gluten.

Im the same now i can sense an overload coming on and induce a shutdown to prevent a meltdown.

it doesnt work as well online.

I have intolerances to wheat, dairy and lots of chemicals make me ill, especially colourings.

I had some biscuits today and am now feeling awful. I know it's not worth it, don't know why I still eat them sometimes!