Sign in to follow this  
JeanneA

DLA Renewal

Hi I've normally had my son Glen's renewal forms by name, at the moment the DLA goes up to April next year. He will be classed as adult this time as he is over 16 now so I don't know whether to phone them and ask about the forms or hold on a bit longer what do you think?

Hi I've normally had my son Glen's renewal forms by name, at the moment the DLA goes up to April next year. He will be classed as adult this time as he is over 16 now so I don't know whether to phone them and ask about the forms or hold on a bit longer what do you think?

Are you a adult apointee, it may that Glen will not be responsible enough to spend it apropriately or requires support with financial tasks, If you are worried about the Adult Application National Autistic Society have a Welfare rights service who may be able to advise you further.

http://www.autism.org.uk/our-services/advice-and-support/welfare-rights-service.aspx

http://www.autism.org.uk/living-with-autism/at-home/managing-money/money-and-your-rights.aspx

JsMum

x

Hiya yes I am the adult appointee, someone came out to see me regarding Glen changing from the child to the adult for the DLA but she did say that I would get the forms as normal but as yet I haven't received them.

Hiya yes I am the adult appointee, someone came out to see me regarding Glen changing from the child to the adult for the DLA but she did say that I would get the forms as normal but as yet I haven't received them.

I would contact the lady who said you will recieve forms as normal, and explain you have not recieved them.

JsMumx

I haven't been in this situation but if I was, I would definately ring and ask.

We spend so long waiting in queues for appointments etc for our kids and I have taken to ringing anybody who's waiting list I think we are on every few weeks just to check our case hasn't accidently been mis-placed

You have nothing to lose by ringing.

I think they are still sending them out about 6 months in advance, so maybe give them a couple of weeks. They don't send out loads of reminders anymore however, so do ring if you have not received them by the end of November.

Thanks everyone I will give it a couple of weeks then ring up. I do have the lady's name who came to see me (have the original letter), so I could also contact her.

The reason for the DLA people to send you the forms six months in advance is so that all the information can be assessed and there is no gap of award, if you prolong the forms there could be a period of where your son may not recieve his award while they go throw the forms.

So personally a few weeks will take you into middle of Novemember, then if you have to wait for the forms again then that takes it to december, then with christmas and new year where the office is closed there is another delay, so then that leaves you just a few months before the benefit he recieves now to end. It quite possibly might mean there is a gap where he wont recieve anything in the meantime.

My adivise is to get the forms completed as soon as possible because in essence you dont really have six months before his award ends, its more like three or four months because of holidays and the delay already accured because the forms have not been recieived.

JsMumx

Thanks Jsmum I will give them a call next then and ask them about the forms.

The quoted DLA turnaround time is 11 weeks so there is plenty of time. Late returns take about three weeks if they're straight-forward and you enclose a recent (six months or so) assessment report.