Sign in to follow this  
LS2242

Dislikes medicine

Any ideas how to get my 9yr old to have paracetomol. He absolutely hates medicine, the taste and smell makes him vomit straight away. He has suspected tonsillitis again. Last time he was like this he ended up in hospital for 5 days on a drip. I really don't want this to happen again, but I just can't get him to take the paracetomol. He is not allowed other pain relief due to his asthma. Taking him to go tomorrow but any ideas in the mean time

Our 12 year old still has Calpol (the baby sugar free one).

Until about a year ago, I would put the dose into a medicine syringe and let him squirt it in himself. Now he will drink it from a medicine cup.

As the amount of paracetamol is geared to babies of 3 months to 6 yeras, he needs 20 mls (4 teaspoons) per dose to get the equivilent of 1 paracetamol tablet.

Any ideas how to get my 9yr old to have paracetomol. He absolutely hates medicine, the taste and smell makes him vomit straight away. He has suspected tonsillitis again. Last time he was like this he ended up in hospital for 5 days on a drip. I really don't want this to happen again, but I just can't get him to take the paracetomol. He is not allowed other pain relief due to his asthma. Taking him to go tomorrow but any ideas in the mean time

Hi, If he has a temperature you probably know this but tepid sponging over his body would bring the temp down....i have to give my son a certain type of paracetamol or he wont take it.....if you could mix it in a drink he might not notice but if he is like my son hes so aware of changes of any kind...........good luck lindy

Just got back from GP. He has chest infection and looks as though tonsillitis is on it's way. Given antibiotics - another challenge. If he still won't take the medicine then he said he will have to go hospital and on another drip. Tried hiding it in drink but he knew and immediately was sick. Let's see how the day goes, will try all the tricks.

Thanks

Just got back from GP. He has chest infection and looks as though tonsillitis is on it's way. Given antibiotics - another challenge. If he still won't take the medicine then he said he will have to go hospital and on another drip. Tried hiding it in drink but he knew and immediately was sick. Let's see how the day goes, will try all the tricks.

Thanks