Sign in to follow this  
JeanneA

Income Support

Hi could I ask if there as any members on here that are on income support? My household is on a low income and I wondered if it was worthwhile in me claiming income support, I get carers allowance for looking after Glen and he gets DLA, so would I be entitled to income support do you know?

I think income support is based on the whole income into the household. This seems to mean if you have a partner who works, you don't get it.

Have you applied for Tax credits ? As Glen gets DLA if you are entitled to Tax Credits you will get a higher rate.

I think direct Gov has an online benefit checker.

Hopefully someone can find the link for you (sorry I can't do clever things like that !)

Hi yes I do get tax credits, its just my husband hasn't got a job at the moment and unfortunately is in and out jobs due to not being able to keep them and as our income is then always low I wondered if I could claim income support. He can't as he's tried, he is on job seekers at the moment but they gave him forms and said that I could claim. :unsure:

In that case definately claim. Even if they say no, you have n't lost anything.

Just a note of caution, if Glen is going away for several weeks you may find his DLA and carers are stopped or reduced. Maybe you could make enquiries, then at least you would know what money you would still get and can try to stretch it out a bit more.

Sorry that doesn't sound right - what I am trying to say is if you know your money is going to change you can plan things a bit better than if one day it suddenly stops without warning.

Hi

As far as I am aware you can claim Income support if your partner is not claiming job seekers,I would make an appt at job centre and ask about both really. I do know of someone who's husband was getting a low wage and they couldnt get income support and were really struggling,she had to get a job in the end.

I have been on income support for 2 1/2 yrs after I left my husband, I can no longer qualify as I am in full time education ,for the same reason I cannot claim carers allowance either.It is frustrating as I cant find anyone willing to look after Sam so without additional money I have to rely on family and friends its not nice at all!

Hi

As far as I am aware you can claim Income support if your partner is not claiming job seekers,I would make an appt at job centre and ask about both really. I do know of someone who's husband was getting a low wage and they couldn't get income support and were really struggling,she had to get a job in the end.

I have been on income support for 2 1/2 yrs after I left my husband, I can no longer qualify as I am in full time education ,for the same reason I cannot claim carers allowance either.It is frustrating as I cant find anyone willing to look after Sam so without additional money I have to rely on family and friends its not nice at all!

Have you asked for a form to make you exempt from prescriptions? i managed to do this despite being in full time education away at halls in university. Student Welfare office would be able to help here.

Income support is usually based on your needs also it determins if you are capable of working.

also if your partner is working and getting income or is looking for work then its likely you could not get it.

Edited by Special_talent123