JeanneA

Income Support

Hi could I ask if there as any members on here that are on income support? My household is on a low income and I wondered if it was worthwhile in me claiming income support, I get carers allowance for looking after Glen and he gets DLA, so would I be entitled to income support do you know?

Hi JennaA,

I am single mum on income support and also get Carer's A and my son has DLA. They disregard the DLA and because i get Carer's they dont pay me full income support cant remember how much they take now but its not too bad. Also get help with housing/council benefit

Hope this helps :D

Thanks very much yes it does help, I think I may well fill in the forms then. Did you have to go and see anyone or was you awarded the money once you filled in the forms?

Thanks very much yes it does help, I think I may well fill in the forms then. Did you have to go and see anyone or was you awarded the money once you filled in the forms?

when i filled it out with ~(support) it took a while for them to assess my needs by looking at paperwork and speaking to health professionals that i listed.

also they didnt give me much money until the finance intervened and said that i should be getting more so it were reviewed.

i didnt need to be seen by person

It would be worth phoning Citizens Advice and seeing if you have a local organisation that can carry out an independent benefits check.

If your husband is on a low income you maybe entitled to Income Support or Working Tax Credit.

It is worth considering that if you claim Income Support I think you maybe entitled to Legal Help/Legal Aid and you maybe able to get all independent reports carried out under that scheme for free. That is worth considering as otherwise it can cost £000's. If you feel you may need those reports, it is worth finding out if you would be able to get them if you were on Income Support.

If your husband can claim Working Tax Credit then you also claim the 'Disabled Child' element which is considerable (a couple of thousand pounds a year). But if you get Working Tax Credit/Child Tax Credit, then you are not eligible for Legal Help/Legal aid.

As you get carers allowance, do you also claim council tax benefit, because you would be entitled to it and that would save you alot off your council tax bill.

Income support is being phased out I've heard. :(

Edited by trekster