Fluffy

Raw Food Diet

I'm giving serious thought to starting a "raw food" diet. Anyone here, particularly with autism like myself, doing this diet? If so I would love to know your thoughts on the diet.

I'm also after some advice on what the best resources are for a newbie? Recommend a book?

Thanks

I believe that a raw food diet is one of the healthiest ways to eat. However, I have no experience of this. As a newbie I have bought The Complete Guide to Aspergers Syndrome by Tony Attwood as he is considered an expert in academic circles. I needed help with my hubby and daughter who I'm waiting to find out if they are AS but according to the books I've read they are. Hope you find some answers to your questions.

M x

I havent any experience of this but I dont think this is a good idea. Are you already a vegeterian? If you are it maybe easier for you to do it,if you are not I believe you will get quite ill in the beginning. Long term you may also be lacking alot of vitamins such as iron and calcium.

Why dont you try mixing it with your normal diet,so if you having a lasagna(meat or veg) you can eat a variety of raw veg alongside it, you can reduce the lasagna portion and increase you veg intake.

I know with my son if he doesnt eat properly,unbalanced diet, he becomes very withdrawn and cries alot/irratable.Dont see how it can improve anything :huh:

I havent any experience of this but I dont think this is a good idea. Are you already a vegeterian? If you are it maybe easier for you to do it,if you are not I believe you will get quite ill in the beginning. Long term you may also be lacking alot of vitamins such as iron and calcium.

Why dont you try mixing it with your normal diet,so if you having a lasagna(meat or veg) you can eat a variety of raw veg alongside it, you can reduce the lasagna portion and increase you veg intake.

I know with my son if he doesnt eat properly,unbalanced diet, he becomes very withdrawn and cries alot/irratable.Dont see how it can improve anything :huh:

I'm probably lacking vitamins on my "normal diet" heh. I'm not a vegan and you don't have to be one if on a raw diet. People who are on raw diets have ways to compensate for any deficiencies in the diet. I feel that you can't go wrong with a diet involving just pure fruit and veg....and some meat - if anything it's the "normal" diet which humans devolved from.

I'm probably lacking vitamins on my "normal diet" heh. I'm not a vegan and you don't have to be one if on a raw diet. People who are on raw diets have ways to compensate for any deficiencies in the diet. I feel that you can't go wrong with a diet involving just pure fruit and veg....and some meat - if anything it's the "normal" diet which humans devolved from.

Yes, almost everyone does lack some vitamins,or indeed some have too much vitamins.However my point is,it will be a type of detox which will cause your body to go into shock,causing headaches, tiredness, dizziness etc. From a medical perspective it is dangerous.

With meat it is dangerous to eat raw, our ancestors may have done so, but our bodies have adapted to eating cooked meat and we have learnt that illness and even death are connected to uncooked meats.

In the end it is your choice but you need to think of the overall benefits and get accurate information on just how much of a difference it will make to you.

Yes, almost everyone does lack some vitamins,or indeed some have too much vitamins.However my point is,it will be a type of detox which will cause your body to go into shock,causing headaches, tiredness, dizziness etc. From a medical perspective it is dangerous.

With meat it is dangerous to eat raw, our ancestors may have done so, but our bodies have adapted to eating cooked meat and we have learnt that illness and even death are connected to uncooked meats.

In the end it is your choice but you need to think of the overall benefits and get accurate information on just how much of a difference it will make to you.

You are right about the detox bit, but my plan is to slowly take up the diet, gradually substituting raw foods for the ###### that I'm currently eating. I don't intend to eat raw meat, I just mentioned it as some people do and the diet isn't exclusively for vegans.

I also have severe psoriasis and know that this diet and similar ones have helped reduce psoriasis in others.

Have a look at some of the online forums, where you can ask questions and hear about other people's raw food experiences too. If you eat as wide a range of raw stuff as possible, including nuts, seeds, cold pressed oils... I think that covers most vitamins and minerals.

With vegan or raw, people worry about calcium and iron. Green vegetables have loads of iron and calcium, and from what I remember they are more easily absorbed when you are getting plenty of vitamin C, which you will be. I was a meat eater and deficient in iron as my body wasn't absorbing it properly.

The other thing to think about before going entirely raw, is how this will fit in with family and friends and any social eating you may do.