Sign in to follow this  
Sally44

Year 6 SATS

I have no idea if the school are going to recommend that my son takes year 6 SATS.

As he is currently unable to read or write, would he be able to get an reader and writer if needed?

If he shows that he can record learning using widgit symbols, would they be able to differentiate SATS so that he could answer the questions using a laptop.

Would you school need to apply for him to have extra time and supports?

Or is the above only really relevent once you get to secondary school.

Hello sally :)

I found this page on the QCDA website. There is link to the 'KS2 Access Arrangements Guide'. It gives schools advice on what they should be doing to make exams available to pupils with additional needs.

http://www.qcda.gov.uk/resources/publication.aspx?id=8db4b55d-04e7-4814-a65e-9e307d1e3cc0

Hope that's helpful :)

Hello sally :)

I found this page on the QCDA website. There is link to the 'KS2 Access Arrangements Guide'. It gives schools advice on what they should be doing to make exams available to pupils with additional needs.

http://www.qcda.gov.uk/resources/publication.aspx?id=8db4b55d-04e7-4814-a65e-9e307d1e3cc0

Hope that's helpful :)

Thanks, that was helpful.

I've phoned them and basically the school decide if they feel he should sit the tests.

I'm not sure if that will be appropriate. But I wondered if it is even possible to access the tests if you cannot read or write.

The child has to be at level 3 to sit the tests.

So I just need to wait and see what level he is at by then and what school recommend.

Do you want you son to sit them ?

I am fairly sure if a child is working below a certain level they don't have to sit SATS, but you can probably insist if that is what you want.

It may be worth considering what you hope to gain if your son does sit SATS.

If he did SATS with all of the support in place it is possible it might give a very positive view of what he is capable of.This might or might not be helpful if you are going to tribunal.

Ben used a laptop in year 6 SATS.He sat maths in a single room rather than with his peers.He was also allowed extra time.

In maths he did better than expected.However it did not help him at secondary school.He was placed in the top set where it quickly became obvious he was not able to cope.He was then moved to the middle set where he is much happier.Having srtuggled with maths throughout primary school with TA support the SATS did appear to give a very optimistic view of his ability.

Karen.

As far as I can remember both readers and scribes can be used but the school has to apply to use them in advance of the test.

But then you have to ask yourself, what is the purpose of SATs and how important are they to your child.(I dont mean you personally Sally, I mean parent in general)

Don't take this as any sort of personal comment anyone, but it may be in the schools interest (not the child's) not to include anyone who is likely to do less than well if they can.

My son will be doing the SATs, he will have a scribe, I think, and I dont expect he will do that well, he never does in tests. And if I am honest, I'm not in the least bit concerned, got much more important things to worry about.

Edited by chris54

As far as I can remember both readers and scribes can be used but the school has to apply to use them in advance of the test.

But then you have to ask yourself, what is the purpose of SATs and how important are they to your child.(I dont mean you personally Sally, I mean parent in general)

Don't take this as any sort of personal comment anyone, but it may be in the schools interest (not the child's) not to include anyone who is likely to do less than well if they can.

My son will be doing the SATs, he will have a scribe, I think, and I dont expect he will do that well, he never does in tests. And if I am honest, I'm not in the least bit concerned, got much more important things to worry about.

Hi.

I agree.SATS are all to do with the school and teachers and have nothing to do with individual pupils.

My elder son actually went down levels between SATS and Spring of year 7.When I asked secondary how this could be I was told it was very common.

Karen.

My elder son actually went down levels between SATS and Spring of year 7.When I asked secondary how this could be I was told it was very common.

It is; it's called the Key Stage 3 dip. If you Google it, I'm sure you're find lots of fascinating interesting information about it. I could write you an essay myself, but I don't want to be charged with child neglect by proxy when I cause you to fall asleep at the computer and you don't wake up to feed your children tonight. :lol: :lol:

My son only did the science paper and got a good mark. He then went on to his high school and at his first parents evening I was told he wasn't doing that well. When I mentioned the SATs grade I was told that schools teach the pupils to pass the SATs exam and that they often don't do well afterwards. Something to do with overall understanding

of the subject. The teachers at my daughter's high school said they reassess the kids when they start there and only use them as a starting point. It was going to be really stressful for my son and I wondered if it was worth it. I'm glad the teachers only put him in for the science.

It is; it's called the Key Stage 3 dip. If you Google it, I'm sure you're find lots of fascinating interesting information about it. I could write you an essay myself, but I don't want to be charged with child neglect by proxy when I cause you to fall asleep at the computer and you don't wake up to feed your children tonight. :lol: :lol:

Feel free.My children have eaten.I have not been sleeping well but have decided that self-medication with whatever red wine is available on a ten pound meal deal is not a helpful long term strategy :shame::shame::shame::shame: ......so need some sedation. :lol::lol::lol::lol:

self-medication with whatever red wine is available on a ten pound meal deal is not a helpful long term strategy

Try spending the full ten pounds on the alcohol - you'll get more and you'll absorb it better without the food. :drunk::wine:

I'm not expecting him to sit SATS as he isn't even near a level 3.

He is also very anxious about any timed assessments.

I just wondered if it were possible for a child to sit SATS if they were at that level, but were still not reading and writing. The woman did say that children can take in laptops etc.

I wanted to find out what the timescales were for the school to apply for extra time, or a separate room or a reader and writer etc.

I'm not expecting him to sit SATS as he isn't even near a level 3.

He is also very anxious about any timed assessments.

I just wondered if it were possible for a child to sit SATS if they were at that level, but were still not reading and writing. The woman did say that children can take in laptops etc.

I wanted to find out what the timescales were for the school to apply for extra time, or a separate room or a reader and writer etc.

There is no requirement to apply for a seperate room.The SENCO should know about other things.

Karen.

Dear Sally,

As far as I'm aware SAT's have never been to test the abilities of the child but to check that the teachers have taught the children the national curriculum and to give the government a nice table of who's doing well or not. Also children who are severely affected by dyslexia have scribes and readers so why shouldn't your child. However, these cost money which the school will have access to if your child has a Statement of Special Education Needs. If though your child has a comprehensive SEN then the SAT's results would not be needed as his new school would have a clear idea of your child's abilities though the SEN.

I don't know if this information helps as you may want your child to be included in the SAT's tests so that he isn't treated differently to any of his peers.

M x