Bluesbreaker

Jobcentres are depressing

I went in the leicester one after college as I had tons of time on my hands....

I walked out with three jobs, I had found five, two of which i already applied to with no success.

I work on a bar at the rugby club, I love doing it, so naturally i would look for bar work, and i found three in that area of work... slightly less casual and a bit more formal offerings, but when i read two of them it said 'this company has claimed an exemption from the Equality act 2010' to me that read they don't want anyone who may be disabled. I'm not sure... but in the last few months, there has been very few things that have mademe feel on a downer.... that was one of them...... (the other being my Ex girlfriend, which im saving for another time...)

how does it make others feel? it severely upsets me, rather than annoys me, that I am perfectly capable of doing bar work, and communicating well with people yet i feel in the dark... that people don't care, that businessmen are evil misunderstanding people who are just out there to hurt my feelings as well as others. :tearful:

The Equality Act covers all aspects I believe (eg: gender, race, sexuality, etc) and JC adverts only usually say this when they need a person of a particular gender for job specific reasons (eg: a male carer for a male client). I would just ask the JC if you are not sure what they are meaning.

but when i read two of them it said 'this company has claimed an exemption from the Equality act 2010' to me that read they don't want anyone who may be disabled. I'm not sure... but in the last few months, there has been very few things that have mademe feel on a downer.... that was one of them...... (the other being my Ex girlfriend, which im saving for another time...)

Hi Bluesbreaker.

The exemption under the Equality Act, will be related to age. You have to be over 18 to legally work in a pub. Go ahead and apply for it. You have lots of experience, you obviously love bar work and and it would be a waste if you didn't go for it. Nothing ventured nothing gained, as they say.

Jannih

Going to get even more depressing though! :crying:

Hi Bluesbreaker.

The exemption under the Equality Act, will be related to age. You have to be over 18 to legally work in a pub. Go ahead and apply for it. You have lots of experience, you obviously love bar work and and it would be a waste if you didn't go for it. Nothing ventured nothing gained, as they say.

Jannih

Okies, I'm not really fearing it anymore now I read that, I'll send off the CV's by email now so they are ready in the inboxs for tommorrow morning...

Going to get even more depressing though! :crying:

I'm not going to even start, i'll just cause a black hole of depressiveness....

it's got to the stage where i can only trust the NAS or some other similar

organisation to treat me right at work. As a result i am building bridges

with them so i can find work with them someday. i talk to many NAS staff

and they love their work.

At least you don't work at the Jobcentre. Imagine how depressing it'd be if you quit then had to come in the next day! ;)

But yeah, do you say that you're an Aspie on your CV?

BTW, the job market at the moment sucks for everyone at the moment, Aspie or not, so don't feel too bad if you don't get accepted. Blame bankers and hedge funds, that's what everyone else does. I personally blame lack of proper regulation. If you agree with me, go ahead and blame that, too.

Yeah i mention the ASD on my CV now, took me a while to convince myself it was wroth telling them!!! although the possibility of them turning around and saying i was lying or something then booting me out was more of a convincing point.

Yeah i mention the ASD on my CV now, took me a while to convince myself it was wroth telling them!!! although the possibility of them turning around and saying i was lying or something then booting me out was more of a convincing point.

Don't put it on your CV that you have an ASD. Allow them to select you for interview first, then drop in that bit of info towards the end of the interview. Or leave it until they ask you about your medical history.

what i did were write a CV with what skills i can bring to the job and what im looking into, and my previous colleges , school and what qualifications i got. this is for a voluntary job at a school.

the next thing i did were right a personal statement about myself and what ive been involved in with youth services, etc but also put down the documentary ' the autistic me' as i were raising awareness and i won an award as inspirational role model.

the last thing i did were a covering letter writing to the school saying what i would like to help them out with such as IT, Art,. On wednesdays i listen to them read. i only do once a week.

Whatever you write, remember to spell-check applications!