mysti

Preparation for GP appointment

I've taken the plunge and booked myself a GP appt for Tue to discuss getting a diagnosis of Aspergers. How should I prepare for this appt? Do I need to make some notes to help me explain why I think I have Aspergers? Do I need to research where I could get a diagnosis?

Thanks,

Molly x

I have a GP appointment today - I'm not really sure what I need to do beforehand, but I have seen an Ed Psych, spoken to our Inclusion teams at Uni, have take the Autism Quotient and Empathy Quotient tests, looked at diagnostic criteria (I'm pretty sure I have PDA with elements of AS), gone back through old school reports where there are lots of comments about poor social skills & group work etc. My mum is no longer alive so I can't ask her for more details of behaviours when I was little, and my dad was too busy working to remember anything. . I will let you know how it goes, and if there is anything that I think you need to do.

K x

http://www.autism.org.uk/about-autism/all-about-diagnosis/diagnosis-the-process-for-adults.aspx

Hi.

Information on the web pages above might be useful if you have not come across it already.

There is also a link to a page with information for GPs about adults with AS that you could download and take with you.

Karen.

Edited by Karen A

good luck to the both of you! :)

i would also be interested to hear how it goes, as i'm not sure that i got the best result out of my gp appointment last week,

x

Edited by yorkshireT

Well, mine was a bit of a waste of time :(. GP said I probably do have an ASD but there is no funding for diagnosis for adults, and even if I go private for a diagnosis, there is no support in the area anyway. I also spoke to him about my concerns about my daughter, and he said nothing would be done until she starts school...

Thanks for the suggestions - I've taken the Autism Quotient and Empathy Quotient tests, looked through the link Karen provided and made some notes including how I fit into the triad of impairments.

Sorry to hear that your GP appt went so badly K, what a shame. If you make a new post on the forums asking what to do next then you might receive some advice.

Sorry to hear that you don't think you got the best out of your GP appt last week yorkshireT.

Molly x

Well, mine was a bit of a waste of time :(. GP said I probably do have an ASD but there is no funding for diagnosis for adults, and even if I go private for a diagnosis, there is no support in the area anyway. I also spoke to him about my concerns about my daughter, and he said nothing would be done until she starts school...

Very sad to read your doctors response.

I wonder if it is worth contacting NAS, the link below is I think the contact for your area and they may be able to give you a better picture regarding help and services in your area and how you can access this.

http://www.autism.org.uk/en-gb/our-services/adult-and-community-services/adult-and-community-services-by-area/lancashire-service/contact-lancashire-service.aspx

also having no idea about your daughters problems (I am assuming you are suspecting some kind of Autism spectrum condition as well?) I think it is incorrect to say that nothing can be done until she starts school. If her problems are apparent now then it may be better to start the assessment process early so thinks can be put into place before she starts school. The assessment process for both my children was started before the age of 3 and I feel an early diagnosis has been of benefit.

Is there another doctor in the practice who you could speak to?

Take care

I'm sorry you have such a bad response from your GP. I'm sure other adults that have sought a diagnosis will give you better advice. You can also contact the National Autistic Society and get their advice.

Regarding your daughter. Don't be put off by your GP. He is wrong to say that. I have posted a link to the autism exemplar. This gives an example of the progress of a child from first being flagged to getting a diagnosis and support in school. As you will see this child is 3. http://www.dh.gov.uk/prod_consum_dh/groups/dh_digitalassets/@dh/@en/documents/digitalasset/dh_4090571.pdf

I also went to my GP when my son was around 3 and I too was told that if he had any problems that school would pick it up. Well they did. But that also meant he missed out on all the early years therapy and support he could have had.

Last Year we saw the arrival of the Autism Act and from that Act the Government produced an Adults Autism Strategy 'Fulfilling and Rewarding Lives' The consultation about implementing this strategy finished a couple of weeks ago Autism-in-Mind's response can be found here.

http://aim-one-voice.blogspot.com/

Although the strategy is weak and badly worded (this is not just my opinion)frontline professionals, and that certainly includes GPs now have a responsibility to ensure that any adult who turns up at their surgery is put on to the correct pathway to obtain a diagnosis. Below is a link to the strategy and some of the important bullet points that maybe you should go back to your GP with. Given that GP Consortia will be taking over from our PCT within the next 3 years it is time that GPs got themselves up to speed about autism.

Your GP simply can NOT say that there is no funding around to enable you to get a diagnosis. This was the whole purpose of the strategy. He can not use lack of funding as a get out clause he now has a responsibility to ensure that your concerns about possibily having an autsitic spectrum condition.

I would also ask your GP for a referral to an autism specific Pediatrician for your daughter. Sally already posted a link to the autism exemplar maybe you should take a copy of that to your GP to.

http://www.dh.gov.uk/prod_consum_dh/groups/dh_digitalassets/@dh/@en/@ps/documents/digitalasset/dh_113405.pdf

Frontline staff, from GPs to benefits advisers, acknowledge that their understanding of autism is limited. While most professionals know something about autism, they do not necessarily understand how autism affects people. This makes it hard for them to recognise autism and communicate appropriately. It also means they may have little idea of how to adapt their behaviour and their services.

Many professionals recognise that this lack of understanding is a problem. The NAO report found that “eighty per cent of GPs feel they need additional guidance and training to manage patients with autism.

DEVELOPING A CLEAR, CONSISTENT PATHWAY FOR DIAGNOSIS OF AUTISM

3.2 Diagnosis is particularly important for adults who have not previously had their condition recognised: their life to date may have been greatly affected by a sense of not fitting in, of not understanding the way they respond to situations or why social settings, for example, are difficult.

3.5 However, throughout the consultation process, respondents have repeatedly described their problems in accessing diagnostic services – and in gaining relevant support if they are diagnosed.

Increasing capacity around diagnosis

3.11 By 2013, when this strategy will be reviewed, we expect there to be a clear pathway to diagnosis in every area.

This does not mean that they wait until 2013 to have a pathway in place it means they have to be doing so now.

Cat

Edited by Cat