Sign in to follow this  
simonstaton

Do I have aspergers

Hi,

I am 18 years old and for the past few years ive always thought I was different, in my teen years (14-15) I was very withdrawn instead of going out id stay indoors on my pc playing online games or coding. I left school at 15 and started work I was suprised to get my job because I was very nervous when I went in however they were amazed that at 15 I had taught myself to build websites and already new how to build a pc, they simply throught I was a geek. I have found it very hard to interact with people and get nervous very easily, if im talking with a close friend I am fine I can drop my guard and ramble on however I usually talk a lot of rubish and talk very loud when I am interested in the subject. I am also not the best at english language I have big spelling problems when writing copy for websites and I can never seem to get my words out and communivate what I am thinking. I dont have any friends the friends I do have are colleagues at work that I am close with however this dosnt make my unhappy I prefer it this way I love getting home from work and going on my pc playing online games and cutting myself off. I have a lot of friends online which is the odd thing however people I meet face to face say that I am very quite. I have always thought I was different and had a psycological problem which I have inheritted from my father and in some ways think of myself as special with my abilitys to pick up on computers and being able to code pritty much anything without any education. So I have aspergers syndrome? if I do then if anything I am relived to finally put a name to my abdormalities and is there anything I can do to help it? should I see a doctor? I took one of the online tests that said 32+ and you have aspergers and I scored 37 almost all the questions highlighted how I am!

Thanks

Simon

Hi Simon, and welcome to the forum.

I'm sure you already know that no one can diagnose you over the internet, even with a questionnaire :)

But Asperger's does sound like a possibility. I'd suggest you look into it a bit further before approaching your GP, so that you can go with some evidence that there is a problem worth assessing. You could also talk to your parents about any difficulties they saw in you in early chldhood and growing up, as often people with Asperger's lack some awareness of how others see them.

Not all people with Asperger's have a remarkable ability. Some do, but then some people without Asperger's do too. I'm personally not convinced of any connection between Asperger's and remarkable abilities. Certainly I do not have any special skills like yours even though I am diagnosed with Asperger's.

There is no cure for Asperger's, and there is very little formal support available to adults, but people with Asperger's can always learn new skills. Understanding what has caused your difficulties can be a good start in working out how to make improvements, so in that sense a diagnosis can be helpful.

There is nothing wrong in spending a lot of time by yourself if this makes you happy. However, it is important not to cut yourself off totally. It's good that you have friends at work.

Hi Tally,

thanks for the reply

I will look into this further however my mum seems to believe my dad suffers from aspergers and only when she mentioned it too me I started to look into it as the reason why I am different. according to wikipedia its cause is from being inherited which is very interesting.

I have told my mum about it and she didnt notice anything major when I was younger however there was a lot going on as a child as I had a lot of complications, going in and out of fits having very bad ahstma etc however she did say I used to line my cars up perfectly straight in a strange way and I never liked reading or writing instead would draw a lot I was also bullied a lot as a child mainly in high school. some of these charecteristics still carry through to this day, the last time I read a book was years ago and I love doing artwork.

the main charecteristics I notice is how withdrawn I am, to be honest I dont like interaction, I dont like talking to people they all just seem fake this might be narrow minded of me but its only my two close colleagues that I can get along with and interaction with. ive also got a terrible posture and do spend all my time on my computer I also find it terribly hard getting my words out and do find myself being very clumsy in day to day tasks.

Simon