Sign in to follow this  
bid

Losing a mentor...

I can't remember the last time I started a thread...anyway, to fill in all the new peeps, I have AS, and have worked in my present job for nearly 6 years. The last 4 have been the most successful, as I started working with someone who gave me huge confidence in my abilities, as well as becoming a really close friend. She gave me the confidence to go for a promotion, and we then worked opposite each other as line managers for the same team, and again she helped me enormously in that role.

She retired at the end of this last half term, and I am really finding things very hard without her, both from the mentoring angle at work, and from missing working with her as a friend.

Has anyone else with AS experienced anything like this? I know in some ways I was probably over-reliant on her, and let her take charge of the team over me. But I feel very much adrift at the moment at work, not helped by a lot of new changes which directly affect me.

Bid :(

Edited by bid

>:D<<'>

My husband does not have AS but has had a very similar experience.His manager of many many years retired a few months ago.As well as being a boss the manager had been a bit of a father figure.My husband missed him for many months.

Karen.

When i was no longer in contact with my careers advisor which i met in school i felt so alone. The feeling did pass

and i met other people along the way that helped me out like a few support workers.

At the moment i've got a uni mentor who i see in her home town. i could keep her by trying the 'Access to work' scheme

if that county permits it because i dont actually live there although i studied there. i highly recommend my mentor.