Sign in to follow this  
LS2242

What Can u do if child not getting taught the curriculum

Hi all

This is not a question regarding ASD but I know there are alot of people on here who know alot about the education system. My dd is in her final yr and had an exam in 2 weeks. It had all cone out with all the kids finds beginning of yr10 all they have done in food tech is coursework. They have cooked only 4 times. Exam in 2 weeks is nothing to do with what they have learnt whilst doing course work, as the coursework has been more about market research. Also learnt yesterday that there school has gone into special measures, which did take me by suprise! Question is in every subject she is predicted A or B's. I realise it a little to late to domuch about the good tech course but am really annoyed and upset. Childrens parents have complained to the head and deputy and all we get is we will put the exam back by 2 weeks! Er the fact is they have to learn over a years work in that time. Today after another unsuccessful lesson, feel the head actually dies not really care and pretends no one has brought it to his attention. Who do I complain to? If which I suspect my dd and alot of the other kids fail or dont get a good grade when they would have been capable of if the curriculum had been taught, I feel like sueing the *******

Amy advice

Really sorry about the spelling errors, I was typing this out on my phone whilst quietly getting more flustered about the whole thing and trying to get the post sent before their tea burnt. Hope u get the jist of the post. I can resend if it is a bit difficult to interpret.

Hope the tea wasn't burnt!

It may be too late to put this particular situation right but I'd suggest complaining strongly, in writing and soon, the more of you who do it, the better.

Suggested steps:

Write out your complaint and send a copy to the Head, head of subject and to the Chair of Governors. Say what you want to happen and give them a deadline to respond. Ask for a meeting to discuss it.

The Advisory Centre for Education has useful guidance on how to set your complaint out - look at step 6 on the following link:

http://www.ace-ed.org.uk/advice-about-education-for-parents/advice-booklets-and-briefings/making-a-complaint

Send a copy to the director of children's services at your LEA (assuming it's a maintained school not an Academy?). Write a covering letter saying you wish to make a curriculum complaint as the LEA has to have a separate procedure for dealing with this.

As Ofsted are already involved, it's worth sending a copy to them as well.

The JCQ might be able to help with questions about the exam, in particular whether there's anything you can do to remedy the situation before the pupils write the exam. http://www.jcq.org.uk/about_us/index.cfm

Hope that helps

K x

Edited by Kathryn

Wow- you know your stuff. Thank you very much. I will be passing this info onto the other parents to and I shall be drafting my letter today and trying to get a copy of the curriculum that should have been taught. Meeting on Tuesday with other parents from the school regarding the special measures. I shall then personally hand in my letter to the relevant people as most of them will be there. In the meantime looking for another school for my other daughter!

The only problem is, there is none locally and I would not trust her going on a public bus to the next nearest school but as my don is at avdiffetent local school, it would be very difficult to be in two places at once. Will give this some serious thought.

Thanks again