Sign in to follow this  
JeanneA

Feeling a bit down

After a pretty bad week at school behaviour wise, Glen went to respite after school yesterday, he comes home Monday after school

I had a phone call a short while ago from respite saying Glen has hit a member of staff so that wasn't great to hear, she also said they can't get him motivated to do anything (which doesn't surprise me). Glen's tolerance levels of people generally are very low. At the moment he needs space/quiet etc. Glen appeared brighter Thursday after school which was lovely to see I thought that things were turning, that he was getting less anxious again, but after the phone call just now I'm not so sure.

The psychiatrist increased Glen's risperidone and prozac recently so I thought that Glen appeared brighter on Thursday which I thought could be due to the recent medication increase, I do hope that when he comes home Monday he isn't too bad.

Sorry to go on, but I wish respite hadn't have rung just to tell me that in a way as its just made me worry again and I was feeling relaxed today, this assessment can't come quick enough now.

I wish respite hadn't have rung just to tell me that

It doesn't seem to have helped you and I'm not sure it helped your son. Could you not have an agreement with them that they do not ring unless there is an actual emergency, i.e. they have to take him to hospital? You could add in that if there's anything they need to know, you will ring them. After all, it's supposed to be your respite.

The respite is for you. Why on earth did they have to ring and tell you he had hit someone? It is over and dealt with and you can do absolutely nothing about what happened, except sit and fret and worry.

Thanks guys, its exactly what I thought why ring me, I know what he's like they know what he's like, they are trained after all. I was feeling fairly relaxed (if thats possible with how things are at the moment) but once they rang I havent been the same since.

How irritating for you . What do they expect you to do about it ? This is your RESPITE for gods sake and nothing will be gained from adding to your worry . Are they short staffed or something and want you to pick him up? Id question why they call, what are their reasons ? Try and make the most of the remaining time , x

Well, quite. Why do you need to know now? What do they expect you to do about it?

Schools don't ring parents to tell them a child's thumped another child, or bumped their head. For goodness' sake.

cb

Thanks for your comments. I haven't received a call today as yet!!

I agree with the others. Calling you defeats the purpose of the respite. Do they have a policy or guidelines on communicating with parents/carers?

K x

Unfortunately things havne't gone well. I had a phone call from School at 10.30 this morning saying Glen arrived at School from respite started hitting out at Staff and throwing a chair. They couldn't get him to the first lesson so took him to the medical room where he laid down and fell asleep! I rang respite and they said he didn't have the best of days yesterday and wanted to be on his own in his room. Glen is definitely going through a spell of a very low tolerance to people. I am now awaiting to hear back from the School.

Looks like I did the wrong thing in sending him to respite, I probably should have kept him at home over the weekend.

You didnt know how it would turn out and made the best decision you could at the time, dont beat yourself up. It doesnt give you much faith when respite and school keep calling you does it? Makes you wonder why cant they just get on with it ,(they are trained and it is only 9-3 at the most) deal with it, (like you do) and write it in his home/school book. I am so glad schooldays are over for us , I had no end of phonecalls , cant say i miss that awful stomach lurch and feeling of dread when the phone rings. Hope he comes home in a better mood, x

Thanks Lisa. I had an email from School to say they managed to get Glen to his afternoon lesson which is allotments. Glen likes being outside so this is always a good lesson for him. I am awaiting for him to come home now off the taxi hope he's not too bad!