Tally

Job Application

I really need to get a job closer to home. All the driving is costing me a fortune and exhausting me. All for short shifts at the minimum wage. There doesn't seem much point in it.

I have applied for a job in an opticians. Still a drive away, but only a short one and on nicer roads. Also convenient location for popping out for buying cross stitching supplies on my lunch break or to the supermarket on my way home. Shame that it will probably involve working weekends, I have quite enjoyed my weekends off!

Shame that it will probably involve working weekends, I have quite enjoyed my weekends off!

I used to work weekends when I worked in a boarding school. At first it was strange not having weekends off and it can make it difficult if you want to meet up with others, but I had a day off during the week and found that I actually got a lot more done as town was quieter, roads were quieter, you can more easily get hold of people who only work Mon - Fri.

Hope the opticians job goes well! B) B)

good luck with the job application! X

I put in my application online yesterday evening and they sent me an email overnight to say that they have made their shortlist and are not offering me an interview :(

I'm going to take in a paper application tomorrow. At least a human will have to look at it then. But if they have made their shortlist then I may have missed the closing date. It's not looking good for this particular job.

I thought I was not in a rush to find a new job, but since my car accident I really hate the driving now. When I get to work and when I get home I am shaking from the driving. It's horrible and I don't want to do it any more. I have been looking at other routes to avoid the really nasty junctions. They would all take much longer but it might be worth it for a while. It's Ok when I start at 10, but when I start at 8.30 the roads are really busy, and it's really horrible when I finish at 5 too.

I'm going to take in a paper application tomorrow. At least a human will have to look at it then. But if they have made their shortlist then I may have missed the closing date. It's not looking good for this particular job.

I thought I was not in a rush to find a new job, but since my car accident I really hate the driving now. When I get to work and when I get home I am shaking from the driving. It's horrible and I don't want to do it any more. I have been looking at other routes to avoid the really nasty junctions. They would all take much longer but it might be worth it for a while. It's Ok when I start at 10, but when I start at 8.30 the roads are really busy, and it's really horrible when I finish at 5 too.

>:D<<'> >:D<<'> I hate busy traffic too it is very stressful.

I hope you are able to get an interview with the paper application.

Karen.

I feel the same about driving after some woman drove into me back in the spring. I get Daz to drive me as much as possible as I just can't cope with it so I can understand why you'd want a job somewhere closer.

Good luck with finding somethign.

I never did make it in with the paper application.

Today I have applied for 3 more jobs. They are all in supermarkets.

One had so many titles I think what they really mean is "general assistant."

Another one was on the Fresh Foods department.

These two are both at the same shop and both only 2 days per week, so I would like them both but that might be greedy. I have checked, the hours don't clash. But it would mean working every weekend.

And the other one was an internet shopper, going round with a trolley and collecting the items for delivery. I think I would enjoy that. It's not really enough hours but I might be able to retain a day a week in my current job if they will let me.

I have been rejected for the two jobs at the same shop.

I have not heard anything about the internet shopping one yet.

They are now advertising lots of positions for online shoppers. Some are enough hours that I could make it my only job. I want to apply for them all, but the website only lets you have one application ongoing at any one time. It takes you to a list of your applications, but you are only allowed a list of one. One of the jobs went while I was applying for another one, so all of the others will probably go before they have chance to consider my application and I will not get a chance to apply for any of the others if this one gets rejected.

Also the website is hugely complicated and doesn't even work half the time. It made me very angry and like I wanted to throw my computer out of the window. They accept applications only online. I don't know if my blood pressure could stand me applying for many jobs this way anyway!

I have applied for a job online this evening as a stock controller in a shop.

Tomorrow I am taking in a paper application for a supermarket night shift job. The same supermarket (different branch) as the ones who apparently accept only online applications had a poster asking applicants to bring in a CV!

Today 1 rejection.

1 interview arranged for Wednesday afternoon for my second choice job :o

No news on the night job yet - only applied yesterday though, closing date is 1st Dec.

Bad news is i've had to cry off today's interview due to snow. Am currently snowed in at work and hoping to get home thie afternoon. Couldn't speak directly to interviewer, so hope message has got passed on properly and doesn't make of look lazy! The good news, however is that i have a telephone interview later for my 1st choice job. When i spoke to them i said i probably can't get there til next week because the snow is so unpredictable, but she said she needs me on the system by friday. The phone interview was their suggestion and she says it'll only take 10 mins. So it sounds like they are keen!

That's a shame, but don't worry - there's nowt much you can do about it, and loads of people are affected by the weather.

Good luck for the phone interview - when is it?

K x

This afternoon. She's going to ring me about 3.30-4.

She said that she only needs to go through a few things with me because I've worked for the company before and it will only take about 10 minutes. The interview I was supposed to be attending at the other branch was supposed to include a mental arithmetic test and watching a video and a test on some observations from it, and then an interview, so the normal process is obviously a lot longer than a 10-minute telephone call! This is why I think they are very keen on me.

Hopefully I won't need to worry about re-arranging the other interview, but I don't want to let it go altogether just in case.

In terms of actual work involved it is my first choice.

Hours are very good and my first choice too.

Rate of pay is the best of all my applications.

Location and journey are not ideal, but better than my current job and at better times of day. In ice and snow I will have to go a long way around to avoid a very steep bendy hill.

Overall, it is still my first choice.

Now I am worried I will hate it, which is silly. I have done the same job at a different company before and I liked it. I will like this too.

I have an induction next Thursday and we are going to agree a start date then. I want to give my boss as much notice as possible, but it sounds like they want me to start quite soon. I won't meet my colleagues from the night shift on Thursday but I will meet the trainer and some other new starters.

I have told my boss now and he is going to start advertising the vacancy tomorrow.

:thumbs: Congratulations! very pleased for you :thumbs:

I'm hoping to put off my start date until after Christmas, but I have a feeling they are going to want me to start quite quickly. I don't want to leave my boss in the lurch, but my new job has to be my priority now. My boss knows now, so even if I start on Sunday week I have given over a week's notice. I have offered to carry on with my Wednesdays for a few months as they don't have anyone else who can work alone, but I don't know if that is difficult administratively.

I'm a bit nervous about starting during such a busy period. I think I know enough from my previous jobs that I could fill the shelves without help straight away. I will be a bit slow because I am not familiar with the layout, but I will pick it up quickly enough. Hopefully they will let me stick to the same section so I can get good at it before Christmas week, and then after Christmas I can start getting used to the rest of it. What I am worried about is putting things away in the warehouse and getting rid of rubbish. I don't want them to think I am lazy if I don't do these things properly. It should be OK though, because I will be way ahead of other new starters because I have done this type of work before.

I don't like change and I'm not very good at meeting new people, so it's all quite scary. It will also be hard re-adapting to working nights and also working such long shifts, and I will find it very tiring at first. I just have to keep hold of why I'm doing this and how positive it will be once I am used to it.

Well done, Tally. :thumbs::notworthy:

I am sure you will get used to it quickly enough, especially if you already had eperiance in doing this kind of work. It is scary a bit to start a new job, I've been there myself but soon you will relax once you acctually start doing it.

I wish you all the best with your new job. >:D<<'>

Danaxxx

It's always scary starting somewhere new. I've been in my job exactly a year now and I remember well the feelings of fear this time last year as my first day approached.

There's always a bit of a learning curve at the beginning, but your experience will soon tell, I'm sure. Good luck - let us know when you're due to start.

K x

18 months ago I moved house to a whole new area, started a new job that was completely different to anything I'd ever done before, and then moved house again. I coped with that, so a new job is really very minor compared to that. I'm sure it will be fine :)

I had my first induction day today. I didn't realise, but apparently they were expecting me in tomorrow as well. Tomorrow is my last day at the dry cleaners! My boss is very behind so I have to go to the dry cleaners tomorrow. My second induction day will be Tuesday and I will start work at the supermarket on Sunday week.

The induction was extremely boring, but it will be better once that is over and I can start actual work. Another lady on the induction is going to be working nights, so I have already met one colleague. She knows everyone already as her partner works there. She will not be starting work until after Christmas though, so we won't be starting together. So we won't be like newbies together.

Everyone seemed very nice and there was a nice atmosphere between everyone. It is quite a small store so everyone knows each other. It could be very different on nights, in my previous jobs there has always been a little bit of friction between night and day staff. Nothing nasty, just blaming each other for everything that has gone wrong and things. But it looks hopeful that there will be a similar friendly atmosphere with all the night staff getting on well together.