Sign in to follow this  
bluefish

Annual review

Hi, I have not posted for ages!

I have Ds annual review tomorrow.. I am a bit nervous as things are going well( due to his 15hrs )He still struggles at home due to his coping at school but things at school are going well. The education officer is not attending the review, am I right in what I have heard that this means the statement is rarely changed? I am very happy with his statement and it has been maintained after the last 2 reviews.

My worry is that with the cuts they might try to reduce his statement hours. I find this a worry as the only reason he is doing well is due to his hours and being in a very very small school. I have heard that sometimes if things are going well they cut hours!! Which of course makes a mokery of the system as surley thats the reason for the statement in the first place..

Anyway.... thanks in advance for any replies :D

Hi, I have not posted for ages!

I have Ds annual review tomorrow.. I am a bit nervous as things are going well( due to his 15hrs )He still struggles at home due to his coping at school but things at school are going well. The education officer is not attending the review, am I right in what I have heard that this means the statement is rarely changed? I am very happy with his statement and it has been maintained after the last 2 reviews.

My worry is that with the cuts they might try to reduce his statement hours. I find this a worry as the only reason he is doing well is due to his hours and being in a very very small school. I have heard that sometimes if things are going well they cut hours!! Which of course makes a mokery of the system as surley thats the reason for the statement in the first place..

Anyway.... thanks in advance for any replies :D

Hi.

I do not have any advice but completely understand why things going well can still be a worry. :wallbash::wallbash:

We are in a similar position.Ben is doing very well but we know some provision is not currently in place as per the Statement.However we are reluctant to flag up the issue for the reasons you outline.

I hope you are shown to not need to worry tomorrow. :pray::pray:

Karen.

Good luck! :pray::)

I'm sure you're well prepared but have a look at this ACE booklet for a reminder of the process and what the meeting should focus on.

http://www.ace-ed.org.uk/Resources/ACE/Understanding%20Annual%20Reviews%202010.pdf

I don't know if there's any link between the LEA officer's presence and whether the statement is changed or not. There is always a possibility that support may be reduced - never put it past LEA's not to try something on, says the cynic in me! But if you have evidence to show that it's only due to the support that your son's doing well - and the school agrees - you'll be in a strong position. Can you think of one or two occasions when the support hasn't been there and it has affected him? It's important to mention what's going on at home as possible evidence of the effort that he's putting in at school - this tends to be overlooked.

Let us know how it goes.

K x

Edited by Kathryn