keepingmesane

Sensory Seeker - any ideas for tiring him out?

Hi all,

apologies as i havent been on here for ages but life is very busy as im sure you all well know :)

Im after some advice for my younger son, he isnt dx asd but displays asd traits and has sensory issues. His behaviour in the last few weeks has been steadily getting worse both at home and at school. I am embaressed to admit that i havent been the most patient with him as im 32 weeks pg, very tired and having to deal with issues to do with my older asd girl. I had a good think about things today and its dawned on me that his behaviour started to get worse as the weather got worse and the dark nights rolled in. He is a little boy who always has to be on the move, leaping and rolling around. He would play outside for a short while but he can be very funny about things outside being wet and dirty so would never use anything we got him for outdoors like a trampoline etc

Im hoping that some of you lovely people might have some suggestions about things i could get for him that he could use indoors that would maybe expend some of his energy, or something that would appeal to his love of movement?

His teachers are finding him difficult because he is always fidgetting... todays example being that he was swinging his jumper about whilst sitting down and though asked to stop, he continued and ended up hitting the teacher and another student.

I dont think he means to be naughty, but he just cant stay still!

im not a mum who excuses naughty behaviour and so am working with him on it, but at the same time i think it would be unfair to dismiss the sensory seeking/ need to move as i dont think it will help to solve the problem.

He saw an Occupational therapist over a year ago who suggested things such as a fidget cushion and giving him jobs that involved sending him on messages/errands etc to keep him going.

With having 3 with similar issues, i had always wanted to get some softplay equipment for the boys room so they could jump about, but price is prohibitive.

Can anyone suggest anything else he can use indoors? (though not an indoor swing as there isnt anywhere strong enough for it)

thanks

Can anyone suggest anything else he can use indoors?

A small exercise trampette/trampoline - we use them with the ASD kids I work with and they're excellent for using up energy especially when the weather's bad and they can't go outside. You can get them fairly cheaply from places like Argos, Amazon etc, and because the legs screw off, they're easy to store under other furniture.

A large exercise ball for rolling on - but be sure they know not to throw it unless you want your house demolished!!

Space hopper - the big orange ones are quite robust and wear kids (and adults :whistle:) out.

Look on things like Freecycle and see if anyone's getting rid of old sofas - so long as they're clean, the big cushions would be great for them to stack, jump on/off, roll on, etc.

Or maybe you could solve the going outside and wet/muddy issue with one of those all in one waterproof playsuits? :unsure:

A large exercise ball for rolling on - but be sure they know not to throw it unless you want your house demolished!!

This is a great one, my son loves to lean on his with his legs on the ground and rock back and forth as he watches TV. Have PMed you

Lizzie x

Have look around your area for a Sensory Room to hire, some sure starts have sensory rooms now, we have a local sensory room we can book for upto an hour soley for our family and its free, so do look around to see if there are any sensory rooms you could access.

There is also Childrens Centres TOY Library, some hire out mobile soft play equiptment.

Try and look into trampoline clubs, Gymnastics, Dance, Gym, swimming.

We have a mini Gym at home, Treadmill, Exercise Bike, Steppers, Spinner, Weights, Standing Punchbag.

additional to this J has a sensory room too, it is rapidly growing out of his needs but it does help to distract him at times.

I would defo look into therapies that help sensory issues such as Sensory processing disorder.

JsMumx

Hi.Could you find some twiddles that might give your son something to fiddle with without creating problems.

Ben is 12 and has AS.He has a constant supply of pens with springs which he fiddles with.It does cost some money but there are worse things he could do. :whistle::lol:

He has also taken the extra toggles of his duffle coat in the last few days.He puts them in his trouser pocket so that he can fidget with them.

In the past he has also used a stress ball.

Karen.

Mini trampoline, medicine ball and dumbbells have all worked for us to varying degrees. Freecycle is worth a look if funds are an issue - these things do pop up from time to time, in our area anyway. Also weighted blanket at night and weighted lap pad for sitting at the dinner table. Various fiddly and stretchy and squeezy things from Hawkin's Bazaar, although that type of thing tends to have a short lived appeal. Also, our son now does three sessions at a local gymnastics club each week, which helps a lot.

This sensory stuff is all a bit strange but once we tuned in to it we realised it was underlying a lot of behaviours that might otherwise be categorised as 'naughty'. I really think that schools need to be more tolerant and keep their powder dry for the really inappropriate stuff rather than worrying about a bit of fidgeting, although I realise not everyone will agree.

This book is worth a look, if you haven't seen it already:

The Out-of-Sync Child : Recognizing and Coping With Sensory Integration Dysfunction by Carol Kranowitz

All the best

Gavin

I can't add anything onto things already suggested. But have some ideas for funding:-

Get in touch with the Community OT service and see if they have toys they can loan out. Ours does and that includes sensory things.

Have you applied for the Family Fund. They can give you a grant for quite large items.

Also the Cauldwell charity can give you a grant for items and will also pay for some therapies.

hi everyone and thanks for the replies

Lizzie thanks for the link, it was fab and i ordered the exercise ball with legs on and the large spinning top which have been a HUGE success with all of my lot, including isaac :)

I managed to get a playskool sit and spin and a climbing frame for outside from argos (half price at £40!)

we put an old mattress down to jump on and they have had a lot of fun this week

I got a couple of fidget type toys for isaac to use at school but most are too big as we need something he can fit in his pocket, but that wont spill if he bites it (the teacher keeps saying to get a stress ball but i dont think it will last long!)

As for family fund, thanks for the suggestion but we already get that for trips out each year

Ive been reading the Out of sync child which is very good, though i was lucky enough to go to a conference run by genevieve jereb and i have to admit to having a lot of sensory issues myself so i have a bit of an insight as to how it feels. Ive just received the second out of sync child book with activity suggestions so im hoping to settle down for a good read and get some good ideas.

thanks again everyone, really appreciate the help xxxx

I got a couple of fidget type toys for isaac to use at school but most are too big as we need something he can fit in his pocket, but that wont spill if he bites it (the teacher keeps saying to get a stress ball but i dont think it will last long!)

Chewy Tubes are great for something to chew (available from various sites if you Google it), though not really good for fiddling.

Great news about the other stuff!!

Lizzie x :thumbs: