Sign in to follow this  
Sally44

How to be a Velvet Bulldozer

YES and I thought it was excellent.

I must admit I borrowed it from the library rather than bought it. I had to renew it 3 times as I was using it to help me whilst applying for statutory assessment.

Yes but it didn't tell me anything I didn't already know/couldn't find out from internet. Supportive in the sense of knowing someone else had gone through it and seeing what strategies they had used.

cb

What's a velvet bulldozer?? :unsure: Surely if you make a bulldozer out of velvet it's not going to be very useful, and it would be a nightmare to keep clean. :unsure:

What's a velvet bulldozer?? :unsure: Surely if you make a bulldozer out of velvet it's not going to be very useful, and it would be a nightmare to keep clean. :unsure:

I don't know but I imagine that it is referring to acting like a bulldozer while appearing to take the softly softly approach. Maybe...

Hi

I can't recommend this book highly enough. I purchased it just over 5 years ago, at a time when I was utterly desperate in terms of trying to work out why my son behaved the way that he did. There was one particular chapter that I could have written word for word myself. I bought lots of books (eg various Jackson books), but this particular book was the only one which I feel was the most informative. The author tells it like it is - if memory serves me correctly, she adopted 3 kids whom all turned out to have an ASD. I felt she gives an honest and frank account of the difficulties that she encountered and how she overcame these issues (healthcare/education). She doesn't come across as superwoman, but rather as a loving desperate parent who wants the best for her kids. I'd go as far as to say that this book was inspiring and gave me the certaintly (there was so much that I could relate to my son) that I needed to pursue answers/diagnosis.

Caroline.

Sounds like I need to make a trip to the library.

The person who recommended it to me said that this woman gave lots of advice that she felt really helped professionals concentrate on the needs of the child eg. that when she went to tribunals or MDT meetings she always had a large photo of the child placed in the centre of the table. I can see that that would help enormously because it would make everyone remember what they were there for.

I bought it when I was starting out on our first appeal. It's certainly worth a read - she's an amazing woman - 4 separate battles for 4 kids with SEN and all adopted too. It's a very personal story - she doesn't hold back on describing the stress of the experiences, especially the tribunals. You'll either read it and be inspired to go out and achieve miracles or you'll feel even more daunted by the system than before. It had the latter effect on me I'm afraid!

Its weakness is that it's trying to be both personal account and instruction manual: as the latter I think it fails somewhat. As someone else has said, there is better information available from other sources.

It's also very important to remember that the book was written before the new tribunal system came into effect in 2008. She gives very specific advice about the process, but much of it is now out of date so it can't be relied upon too heavily as a guide.

Interesting book though - what comes across is her passionate wish to see these young people achieve the best they were capable of and to do absolutely everything in her power to make it happen.

K x

I tried to get it via my local library, but they don't have a copy of it.

So i've ordered it via Amazon.

I used to read all the time, but since having the children I've not picked up a book - never had the time!

So i'll bear in mind what everyone has said and see if I find anything relevent.