fluffyblueberry

Help! How can I find a consultant psychologist/psychiatrist

Hi,

I've found a place that diagnoses adults with AS on the NHS and it's not too far away - but they only see you on referral from either a consultant psychologist or psychiatrist. But how do I find one that has knowledge of adults with ASD? I've looked on NAS and can't find anything there. I'd rather not go to my GP until I have a definite name of someone I want to be referred to. Can anyone help? Thanks.

Hi,

I've found a place that diagnoses adults with AS on the NHS and it's not too far away - but they only see you on referral from either a consultant psychologist or psychiatrist. But how do I find one that has knowledge of adults with ASD? I've looked on NAS and can't find anything there. I'd rather not go to my GP until I have a definite name of someone I want to be referred to. Can anyone help? Thanks.

Have you seen a psychiatrist before for any reason? My GP refused to refer me so I made an appointment to see a psychiatrist I have seen previously. Even though I had been discharged, becuase I was on the system they made me an appointment, no questions asked.

K x

Have you seen a psychiatrist before for any reason? My GP refused to refer me so I made an appointment to see a psychiatrist I have seen previously. Even though I had been discharged, becuase I was on the system they made me an appointment, no questions asked.

K x

Hi, I saw a psychologist years ago but that was down south and I wouldn't want to go back to her. So, I'd have to get referred from the doctor or go privately? But then once you go private, isn't there some issue with switching to nhs?

Would it be worth ringing/ emailing the centre you have found, and asking them some questions about the referral process? Maybe they will be able to tell you the name of someone in your area who has previously referred someone to them?

Of course you may not feel comfortable with this and if so not really an option for you.

I hope you find out a name of someone to give to your GP, so you can get things moving.

Take care

Would it be worth ringing/ emailing the centre you have found, and asking them some questions about the referral process? Maybe they will be able to tell you the name of someone in your area who has previously referred someone to them?

Of course you may not feel comfortable with this and if so not really an option for you.

I hope you find out a name of someone to give to your GP, so you can get things moving.

Take care

Hi, yes I did email them - but they said they couldn't give me a name. However, they thought my GP would know the relevant teams to refer me to. I find the idea of going to the GP very daunting. I haven't long lived here and don't have a GP that is really "mine" here, I have always seen a different one each time and haven't found one yet I feel ready to confide in. If I get knocked back, it will really effect me I think.

Hi, sorry you havent found a contact yet. have sent you a message (whether it will be of any use is another matter).

Good luck with your search anyway I hope that you manage to find a way to get your referral for assessment X