Sign in to follow this  
oxgirl

HELP!....I have an interview!!

Help, help, I have an interview and I haven't a clue how to prepare. I've been looking for work for two years, haven't worked for 17 years and feel really out of touch. Haven't a clue what they'll ask me or how I'll begin to answer! Last interview I went to was last year and they asked really open questions like, 'can you think of an example where you used your initiative'!! I'm really terrible at answering open questions like that or thinking of examples, for that matter!! I know I'm gonna ramble on and on and probably look like a total idiot. Any tips please would be much appreciated.

~ Mel ~

Can you tell us what the job is (office work, shop work, working with children etc) then it may be easier for us to offer ideas.

Yep, it's personal assistant to hospital consultants, part-time, just 13 hours a week. I did this sort of work so many years ago, I'm really rusty!! :unsure: I still have all the skills and I know I could do a good job it's just that I've lost so much confidence when it comes to talking to people I know I won't be able to put myself across well, I'll end up making a fool of myself. :crying:

~ Mel ~

You can do it Mel!!

I hadn't worked for 12 years when I went for my job. I got lots of support from the peeps on here...I didn't even know what you wear for an interview these days!

Perhaps you could think back to the questions you were asked at the last interview, and then run through some answers so that you are prepared ahead this time. My DH is very good at helping me with this kind of thing...maybe someone you know who is in work might be able to help in a similar way?

Good luck, and let us know how you get on >:D<<'>

Bid :)

Edited by bid

I assume this job means you will be making appointments, booking meeting etc ? If so, you may be asked to give examples of how organised you are.

If it involves typing/shorthard (do people still do shorthand ?) you might be asked to take a piece of dictation and type it up.

If this is similar to something you have done before then think back to what you did at the previous job, and use that for examples.

An example of using your initiative might be doing something that needs doing before someone actually asks you. In an office that might be seeing a pile of files to be filed, realising they need to be filed, and then filig them before someone says "can you file those please".

Hope the interview goes well

>:D<<'> >:D<<'> >:D<<'>

I understand exactly how you feel.I have notworked other than as a lunchtime supervisor in a nursery [in view of another thread absolutely nothing wrong with that job in fact I loved it it just would not sell me well on a job application because of the system. :D ].

It is very difficult to find the confidence to try to apply for jobs again after a long break.

I filled in an application for a regular voluntary position yesterday and had to pluck up courage to do that.However it was encourageing to recognise all of the skills I have developed because of having raised two lads this far.

Think about all the skills you have as a result of your experiences in the last 17 years.

My husband works in the NHS although not as a Dr.However he does sit on interview panels.I will ask him for a few standard questions off the top of his head and PM them.

It may help to know he does not enjoy doing interviews either. :lol:

Karen.

Have confidence - you've got this far, so they've seen something they like in your application. Interviews are a box ticking exercise in many ways - they want to see how far you meet their criteria. So make it easy for them, have a look at the person specification for the job and the list of essential/desirable characteristics (if they have given one) and list examples of how you fulfil each one. Make your examples concrete and specific. Eg. if I am asked how I would deal with an unexpected difficulty I cite the example from a previous job of having to get a bunch of newly arrived exhausted Japanese students from the airport to their host families when the coach didn't turn up. Then I say what this shows about me: I can remain calm under pressure and think of creative solutions to problems.

As Karen has said, don't just focus on your previous work experience, you'll have gained a lot of skills in other areas of your life e.g. as a parent - especially negotiating the SEN system - a skill not to be discounted!

And they may ask about equality and diversity so they can tick that box to show they've fulfilled their duty there, so be prepared to woffle about that. How would you answer the question "what does diversity mean to you?" which was one thrown at me during my last interview!

Very best of luck :)

K x

Thanks for the encouragement, all. Think I'm as prepared as I can be now really. When I get in there, my mind will probably go blank anyway so there's not too much point in me reading any more interview tips websites, I'll just play it by ear from now on in. Just hope I'm not late, that's all.

Luckily we went to a wedding in March and, seeing as I only had two pairs of jeans in my wardrobe, I was forced to go out and buy a suit. At least it will get another airing. :rolleyes: It's tomorrow, btw, 11.30, wish me luck! :o

~ Mel ~

Thanks for the encouragement, all. Think I'm as prepared as I can be now really. When I get in there, my mind will probably go blank anyway so there's not too much point in me reading any more interview tips websites, I'll just play it by ear from now on in. Just hope I'm not late, that's all.

Luckily we went to a wedding in March and, seeing as I only had two pairs of jeans in my wardrobe, I was forced to go out and buy a suit. At least it will get another airing. :rolleyes: It's tomorrow, btw, 11.30, wish me luck! :o

~ Mel ~

>:D<<'> >:D<<'> >:D<<'>

I will be thinking of you.

You could not do worse than in my least positive ever interview for a community nursing job working with homeless teeenagers.I was asked what I knew about the issues facing this particular client group.The only answer I could come up with was that it was not long since I was a young person myself......... :lol::lol::lol:

Don't ask how long ago that was. :o

What Karen A wrote has reminded me of when I applied for ajob in a primary school.

When I was asked why I thought I was suitable for the job, I replied, "I am a Mum. That means I am used to thinking on my feet and sorting things out."

I got the job.

Good luck, Oxgirl, I will be thinking of you.

~ Mel ~

Hi Mel

Good luck - have faith in yourself >:D<<'>

Thanks again all.

Just got back, think I did okay, fluffed a few questions and rambled a bit but they seemed nice and I can only be what I can be so it's just wait and see now. Only problem is they're not sure I'd get a parking permit, in which case I wouldn't be able to do it. You're talking an hour and a half each way on public transport for a four hour day, it just wouldn't be worth it. But we'll see.

~ Mel ~

Thanks again all.

Just got back, think I did okay, fluffed a few questions and rambled a bit but they seemed nice and I can only be what I can be so it's just wait and see now. Only problem is they're not sure I'd get a parking permit, in which case I wouldn't be able to do it. You're talking an hour and a half each way on public transport for a four hour day, it just wouldn't be worth it. But we'll see.

~ Mel ~

If nothing else it is good experience. :)

Karen.

Well, I didn't get it. I'm totally gutted, I feel like nobody will ever give me a chance. I've been at home for 17 years raising my disabled son and now I'm all washed up and good for nothing. I'll just shuffle myself back off to the scrapheap where I belong.

For two hours I'd really enjoyed the fantasy, the dream. I put on my suit and I felt like an actual real person for once. It took me over a year to get that interview, but what's the point, no-one will give a job to me when they can get someone with current experience, I may as well give up. :tearful:

~ Mel ~

Oh Mel, I'm so sorry :(>:D<<'>

You are so NOT on the scrapheap!!

What about finding some kind of voluntary work to build up both your CV and your confidence?

Bid >:D<<'> >:D<<'> >:D<<'>

>:D<<'> >:D<<'> >:D<<'> >:D<<'>

Times are just really tough.I am sure it is not about you.My husband has loads and loads of applications to work through each time there is a post advertised.A lot of people do not even reach the interview stage because there are so many people chasing jobs.

Karen.

I've put in loads of applications recently for jobs I am more than qualified for, and not even been offered an interview for most of them.

It does not mean you are not capable.

That's disappointing. >:D<<'> Have a glass of wine and put your feet up.

Don't give up. I was in your position - had not worked for years and wondered how the heck I was going to convince anyone I was worth employing. I mucked up the first interview I had had in ages and didn't get the job - but a few weeks later I was offered it anyway as the person they had recruited failed to turn up! Once they've got your details on file anything can happen.

I think Bid's advice is good - look out for voluntary work you enjoy and which will add to your skills. I got the job I have now on the back of the experience I had gained doing voluntary work with a similar organisation. It helps to build your confidence, gets you into a work routine and provides a reference too.

K x

I GOT THE JOB!!!!!!!!![

OMG, they called me today, said the person they offered it to turned it down so they offered it to little old me!!

I'm sooooo freaking out. I'm not sure I can cope, tbh, I've lost so much confidence. I won't be eligible for a parking permit, so I'll have to park and ride and get the bus and the journey there and back will probably take about three hours for a four hour working day. I'll probably spend more on petrol/bus fairs and loss of Carer's Allowance than I'll actually earn, so why am I so happy! Oh, and scared, so scared I'll find it just too much and I won't be able to cope with the stress of it all. Yikes! :unsure:

~ Mel ~

Edited by oxgirl

:thumbs::dance::clap:

There you go, what did I say? Anything can happen!

It's hard to go back after a long break, but once you've settled in and learned the ropes, you'll be great. Even if it's not the perfect job, it may lead on to something better.

When do you start?

K x

Thanks all.

There you go, what did I say?

It's funny, Kathryn, because ever since I got the call turning me down I've kind of been waiting for them to call back and say the other person had dropped out and I could have it. :o

I've had jitters in my stomach ever since I found out I'd got it. I'm so worried that I won't be up to it and won't cope with all the stress and upheaval of it all. Suddenly, sitting at home on my own in the safety of my own house for eight hours a day seems very appealing!! :tearful:

Haven't got a start date yet, loads of paperwork to sort out first, but it won't be until after Xmas now, which gives me some time to get my head together a bit more at least. :unsure:

~ Mel ~

Reading this post from beginning to end is like one of those feel good movies. We go through the anxiety/worry, the hope, the failure/disappointment to the triumph!!! Brilliant! And not a movie! I am so delighted for you. I wish you every success in your new career.

I shall now go and do my ironing with a smile on my face.

Tes x

Reading this post from beginning to end is like one of those feel good movies. We go through the anxiety/worry, the hope, the failure/disappointment to the triumph!!! Brilliant! And not a movie! I am so delighted for you. I wish you every success in your new career.

I shall now go and do my ironing with a smile on my face.

Tes x

Hehe, thanks Tes. :rolleyes: Haven't got to the triumph just yet though!! :unsure:

~ Mel ~