Sign in to follow this  
nicole93

Hello :-)

I am new here, and I cannot wait to get to know everyone.

Well, I myself am not actually diagnosed with autism/aspergers but I have been referred to Harper house and have an appointment there on 6th December because I was seeing a clinical psycologist a few months back and she suspected I have aspergers. When I was younger I suffered from epilepsy and had to take a lot of medication so for a long time my parents always thought that caused my problems, but I stopped taking the medication when I was 10, and by then there were a whole lot of other problems so I suppose my parents just never got round to getting me assessed before.

So I would be really interested to hear about what I can actually expect at this appointment? I am 17 and female so I don't know if that would effect how they assess me.

What kind of tests would they do and what will they ask me?

Plus my brother who is 21 suffers from Aspergers, he was diagnosed at the age of 4.

Thanks for reading :-)

Edited by nicole93

Hi Nicole, and welcome to the forum.

There are a few different systems people can use to assess for Asperger's/autism, but they all work in a similar way. They will normally talk to you a bit, listen to what you say and also observe you and maybe set you some tasks. They are not like an exam where you have to get it right. If it's hard or you can't manage at all it does not matter, it is just a way to document your difficulties.

They might not tell you at the time whether you have Asperger's. They might want to go away and collate all their reports and get back to you later. Not always though, they sometimes are able to tell you on the day.

Don't know anything about possible tests but just wanted to say 'hi Nicole' :).

Hello :-) Thanks for replying!

Tally, thanks for giving me a better idea of what will actually happen, I am sure it will be fine I have just been worrying about it alot. I hope they can tell me on the day, it is so much stress having wait.

Thanks again.

Hi nicole, welcome :)