Sign in to follow this  
Kathryn

Mouse ears!!!

I dread making costumes for my son's plays - I'm rubbish at things like this. :blink: I have to finish off a mouse costume. I found a furry one piece suit in a charity shop which is perfect but I have to make the head bit. Any bright ideas? I think some sort of headband with stuck on cardboard ears should do - but how to stick the ears to the band so they don't come off and how to make the whole thing robust enough to stay on his head - that's the problem..

Any bright ideas welcome!

K x

I dread making costumes for my son's plays - I'm rubbish at things like this. :blink: I have to finish off a mouse costume. I found a furry one piece suit in a charity shop which is perfect but I have to make the head bit. Any bright ideas? I think some sort of headband with stuck on cardboard ears should do - but how to stick the ears to the band so they don't come off and how to make the whole thing robust enough to stay on his head - that's the problem..

Any bright ideas welcome!

K x

Tights! And fine wire/plastic to shape them... that can then be fed through the headband and bent back before glueing for extra strength.

Keeping the headband on - probably staples or carpet tacks, but not too long or they'll go all the way through to the grey stuff which isn't really what you want. :devil:

:D

I made piggy ears once using a pink plastic hair band. I then made pink felt ears, just two shapes sewn together with running sticth round the outside. Then I put a length of pipe cleaner inside each ear, and bent it so that the ears sort of 'flopped' over in a piggy-stylee way!

At the bottom of each ear one side had a longer piece of felt at the lower edge, which I then wrapped around the hair band and stitched/glued to attach to the ear/hair band.

I think the pipe cleaner is good because then you can bend the ears into realistic positions.

Enjoy!! ;):lol:

Bid :)

I was going to suggest felt or fur-fabric and pipe-cleaners as Bid has. If you want something easier / less fiddly (but also less mouse-like) some ears made out of construction paper and stuck to a paper band would work, see example here. :)

Thanks for all the suggestions. I think we're finally sorted! :hypno::rolleyes:

I bought a bunny- girl- ears headband from the pound shop and made ears to slip over them out of two cut up two furry brown socks. But the headband kept falling off his head, so I got a woolly hat and sewed my brown sock ears - (stuffed to make them stand up a bit) - into that. It looks OK, we'll see if it withstands the dress rehearsal!

K x

I bought a bunny- girl- ears headband

:o What you choose to do in your own time is really not a topic for discussion on a family forum... :shame::whistle:

Glad the mouse ears worked out though! :D