Sign in to follow this  
Tally

Snow!

Has anyone else got snow?

I'm in Surrey, which apparently has been hit quite badly. This morning on the news they said that 400 HGVs were stranded on the Surrey stretch of the M25 alone!

It's been a bit of an adventure for me because I was not able to get home from work last night and had to stay with my mum and dad. We spent most of the evening pushing cars round the roundabout. It was all iced up and they were skidding all over the place, and then huge queues built up. I don't know where they went after the roundabout because it was icy and up hill from there! I know there were people up one of the hills with shovels and carpets trying to help people along. It was good fun, but exhausting.

It's a very old house and the windows don't quite fit the frames, so not only was it really cold, but I could also hear all the cars crashing into the barrier outside the school. I didn't realise that "crash barrier" was an instruction!

I've had to cancel my job interview this afternoon because I could not get home to get my smart clothes, and the ones I am wearing are all muddy. I planned to explain that one away, but then I was worried about getting home afterwards because it would have started to freeze again. As it is I had to dump the car about a mile away and walk the last bit.

I didn't realise that "crash barrier" was an instruction!
:lol:

It snowed on Monday night in my part of Hertfordshire - about an inch - which has now turned to ice. Roads seem reasonably clear but it's jolly cold - bitter wind. I'm congratulating myself that I chose this week to take time off work, so I've been able to stay indoors mostly. My planned Christmas shopping trips have turned into internet shopping trips instead. :rolleyes:

I did go out yesterday for a short walk to the shops. I decided to walk down the cycle track as it's mostly rough gravel, protected by trees and it tends to be less covered in snow and ice, therefore safer I thought. However my feet managed to find a slippery bit, my left leg just slid sideways and down I went on my hip and my hand. Luckily I was well padded so, not much hurt - except dignity, and luckily there was only one witness!

I like looking at the snow, but I get really scared of falling on ice, and every step is an effort. I haven't ever managed to find footwear that grips properly.

K x

Edited by Kathryn

My primary school had a really steep slope, and my mum once slipped all the way down it with my brother in the buggy :lol:

I was wearing my nice boots today and they have pretty good tread. It's only any good though where the snow is soft enough for them to sink in a bit. When it's really compacted they just sit on the top and I slip all over the place. The only alternative is to walk on fresh snow, but it's so deep you have to lift your feet up really high.

I'm in Cornwall and although the far west has been badly hit the part where I live has had none, the car wasn't even iced up this morning though there was a bitterly cold wind. My son is so disappointed, he looks out the window and asks why weather forecasters lie all the time he is desperate for snow!

Just a sprinkling here - the kids were valiantly scraping every inch of the playground in an attempt to make a snowball :lol:. I and the rest of the school staff are really tired though - we could do with a snow day - just one please Lord!!

We have snow. It snowed all day yesterday and last night. Not enough for a snow day, but enough so that the kids have to stay indoors at playtimes and lunchtimes, and lots of kids are off school, too.

Well Kathryn here's hoping our little bit of the county continues to avoid the 8 inches predicted for tonight!!

The residesi school where I work is in the depths of the countryside, down little country lanes. This is my last night of 5 at work, and I'm going home tomorrow morning if I have to walk!!

Bid :wacko:

There are only about 4 inches of snow where I work and where my parents live. It's really hazardous though because it's all got compacted and turned to ice. All the schools are closed. Some kids were snow boarding on a steep slope.

As I drove home it got deeper and deeper because I live up very high.

I'm going to go out for a nice walk in it tomorrow. I will upload some photos because it's really pretty when you're not trying to drive in it!

Nothing here. We had a tiny sprinkling of it on Sunday but that was it. I keep watching the weather forecast and it doesn't look like there is going to be any here for a while, thankfully.

Leicester has had snow all day with a few bits tonight...

Has turned Everything to Ice, absolute nightmare, Dad got home and had to park his car on the nearest main road due to side roads being way too icy. We have even had Mercedes Sprinter vans (they are quite large vehicles) Bombing up and down.... hope to god there wasn't anyone going towards them!

Buses were fun, as many more people than usual were using them (luckily due to my humain error of setting my clock too fast, i missed the rush of the last of the summer wine cast...) Walking down my own street is currently easier than walking through town!!!! everything has got slapstick slippy so i nearly went heads over with the guitar on monday (that would have hurt...) luckily today i didn't need my faithful shred stick!

anyway, I am enjoying the sight of it and have not yet broken anything (damn I have now cursed myself, LOL)

hopefully dad won't slide this year and smach the drivers' side headlight from a crash at 2mph while skidding.....

We live about 15 miles south of Lincoln, we woke up to snow on saturday.

Maybe a bit reckless but we went ahead with a a planed visit to my mother inlaw who lives near York, it being unlikely we would have the opportunity again befor Christmas. Got there and back OK. The weather has gone down hill from then. Finally today the school was closed. I'm off to work in a minuet. Its not fare but most of the roads I will be driving on are untreated but passable (At the moment) with care. We are going on a course tomorrow about 10 miles away, phoned up and were told it is still on so will be leaving plenty of time to get there and hopefully do some shopping on the way home.

Got me shovel and boots in the car just in case.

I woke up this morning and the snow is now 12 inches deep! It is still snowing.

I went out for a nice walk in my wellies. The snow had drifted and in places it was half way up my thighs.

I saw a beautiful heron flying overhead. It was about the same colour as the sky.

When I passed the vet there was a kitten walking around inside, so I went in to ask if I could stroke the kitten. He was very sweet and even let me pick him up and cuddle him. He was all purry and lovely and tried to get inside my coat. I really want a kitten now!

Survived yesterday OK, got lots of shopping so dont need to go out for a few days now. School closed again today so managed to have a bit of a lay in (No work last night). Not back in work until Sunday night. So until then its playtime.

Edited by chris54

It has finally stopped snowing and even seems to be melting a little now. I am still snowed in and did not make it to work today. I didn't set an alarm and had a bit of a lie in.

I went for another walk this morning to feed the ducks. The pond was frozen over and all the ducks were sitting on top of the ice. When they saw me they all started advancing on me. It was like something out of a horror film, but with mallards. They were crawling all over my feet and everything. I have promised them I will go back tomorrow with more bread.

It's horrible here - definitely the wrong kind of snow - not enough to be picturesque or fun but enough to be disruptive and inconvenient - especially now it's all frozen.

If the bad weather continues through tomorrow my son's grandparents wont be able to come to see him perform in his play tomorrow night. :( They live in W Sussex and I gather the snow and roads are pretty bad there.

K x

I am unfortunately no longer finding the weather fun at all.

Both lads off yesterday because school closed.No notice or warning and so I made an hour long trip in difficult conditions for nothing.

Message on web site at 1600 yesterday saying school would open at 1000 today unless we were updated otherwise at 0700 this morning.

Having spent yesterday and this morning with Ben asking every half hour what is happening I started to scrape the ice off the car at 0930.Obtained a text from elder son saying he had been told by a friend that lower school was closed.

The office confirmed this was the case.However the web site has still not been updated.

I would not mind if we lived in Kent,Scotland etc etc but every other school in the borough is open. :wallbash:

J says the rumour is that the portacabins in the school yard are an issue.I hope not because it is just December and Spring may be some time. :rolleyes:

I apologise if I sound like a miseryguts.However after letters stating how important attendance is it would be nice to have more information than a locked gate having worked so hard to get my lads to school. :wacko:

Karen.

We've been snowed in for a week here, masses of it (Gateshead). There's about two feet in the garden, and every time I go out to put something in the bin I have to scrape off another two inches that's appeard since last time. I've never seen snow like this and I'm very old indeed.

It was -9C here yesterday during the daytime - horrible.

There are still quite a few main roads blocked or unpassable in the outlying areas, especially A66 and A69. Even the three-lane stretch of A1M has had some major difficulties this week.

Karen

x

Yesterday was very cold here also, but it was not -9!

Today is much milder and the snow is melting quickly now. They gritted my road by hand yesterday. Today the grit lorry has passed, but it was not actually gritting. Most of the main roads are passable now. My road is still very slippery with compacted snow that is now very wet on top.

Apparently it is going to turn very cold and icy again on Monday, so I'm hoping the snow will melt and run away before then otherwise it will be really awful.