JeanneA

Inpatient admission on Monday, weather permitting

Hi, for those who know the situation with my son Glen, 16 who is waiting to be admitted for his 12 week mental health assessment, well it should (fingers tightly crossed) be going ahead on Monday weather and ambulance permitting.

Due to Glen's more severe aggression of late, my husband and I felt it was too dangerous to get Glen to the hospital ourselves, so I asked if he could be transported by ambulance which is what is being sorted out now.

I do hope it all goes ahead, as I can't cope any longer with Glen, we have to keep him in his bedroom all day due to his aggressive outbursts at us.

I will let you know when I hear further.

Hi Jeanne -

Hope the weather 'permits', that all goes well on Monday and that the next 12 weeks prove hugely beneficial for all concerned.

Very, very best

L&P

BD

Thanks for all your replies, in the end I thought I wouldn't be able to let Glen go but due to a major deterioration in his behaviour the last 2 or 3 weeks, its been a very easy decision. I just pray this assessment will provide answers and help for Glen.

i hope your family gets the right support soon.

Thanks for all your lovely comments. It has been confirmed now, the ambulance will come to pick Glen and myself up on Monday at around 8am, there will be 2 nurses in the back with us and 2 drivers. I hope it all goes ok I will let you know.

Glen went into Prudhoe yesterday. It wasn't an easy journey and no ambulance and 2 nurses as promised it was a security van with 3 security guys who knew nothing at all about Glen they told me they were not told anything other than his name and where he was going

Glen did hit out a couple of times during the journey and he also hit me several times when we arrived, as if to say 'why are you sending me away', or thats how it felt, I just became so upset at that point and luckily a nurse was on hand! Glen did settle though eventually by the time I left.

I will keep you posted as to how he is doing.

Thinking of you and your hubby Jeanne. Don't try to stay strong, let it all out, it must be very heart-rending for you. >:D<<'>

~ Mel ~

Thanks ladies. I rang this evening to see how Glen was and he wasn't too bad, he had hit out a few times but generally ok, he has his own nurse as do all the children, well I say all the children, there's only 4 there. It seems a really good place, if they can't help him then no-one can.

Hi, I'm ok I guess lots going on in my head, I had an unpleasant dream last night which hasn't helped. I now have to get onto the psychiatrist stating we need an ambulance with nurses (not a security van) when Glen has to come home on the 23rd and of course to go back on the 28th.

Thanks Lisa, I am finding it quite difficult to be honest, I keep looking in his bedroom but I know he is in the right place and that I'm sure they can help him. x

It is Beth but at least I know Glen's in the right place and he will soon be home for Christmas, I'm concerned that he won't want to go back though after Christmas, I think that could be a very difficult time on the 28th!

I'm thinking of you too.

How often do they give you updates.

Do you phone every day and speak with someone? Do you get any equivalent to a home/school book??

I think the hardest must be the not knowing. No matter how we feel as mums, missing our kids, if we know they are okay then we are happier in ourselves. So I hope you soon get some good news that he is doing okay.

Any chance they could send you some photos or video footage of him to see how he is?

If you really think the christmas break could be a problem would you, or could you, consider him staying over and you visiting him? Is Christmas a big thing for him, or for you as his parents? I'm just thinking of the travelling and change if he struggles with that. Does he know he is coming back home for Christmas, has he shown any indication that he wants to come back. I know the thought of Christmas without him with you must feel awful, but it might be worth just talking it over with the staff there to see what they think. Sometimes they may feel they need a person to be with them for longer initially before they go home for a visit.

I think you've been really brave.

I was thinking along the same lines as Sally. I know it seems awful, and it feels so wrong not to celebrate Christmas together, but wondered if coming back for Christmas would cause more stress and upheaval for Glen. If he's settled by then, it might be worth considering letting him stay put. Christmas can sometimes be a stressful time anyway and it might be more stressful than it's worth. :(

~ Mel ~

Hi, Glen has to come back for Xmas, I would rather he stay there but I haven't any choice, they don't have many staff in over that period. I am dreading him going back again on the 28th, I think it will be difficult as he will know where he is going. I am ringing up to see how Glen is but I don't like to ring every day. I know he is in the right place I just hope though we can get him to go back on the 28th.

I haven't asked about photos or video footage but then he will be here in a couple of weeks so I will probably leave asking about that sort of thing for now.

Thinking of you too, sounds like this admission will be of benefit to him in the long term. I imagine the team have been through similar before with other children, if this is common for them to send children home at christmas so have they suggested any other way that might make the return smoother? X >:D<<'>

Hi folks, just thought I would give you a quick update on Glen. He is much the same as before he went in, hitting himself but hitting out slightly less. They are not starting any therapies until after Christmas so they are giving Glen an extra week so its 13 weeks as apposed to 12 in total.

I am waiting to hear about transport for Glen coming home for Christmas, he comes home on the 23rd and goes back on the 28th. I know this sounds awful but I am dreading him coming home because I know he is going to be much the same as before and more worrying is what he will be like when he knows on the 28th that he is going back, after all its not a short journey it is nearly 6 hours! It's a pity they cannot keep Glen there over Christmas as my hubby and I were prepared to go up and be with him there. Anyway I will keep you all updated.

I wish you all a Happy Christmas!

Hi folks, just thought I would give you a quick update on Glen. He is much the same as before he went in, hitting himself but hitting out slightly less. They are not starting any therapies until after Christmas so they are giving Glen an extra week so its 13 weeks as apposed to 12 in total.

I am waiting to hear about transport for Glen coming home for Christmas, he comes home on the 23rd and goes back on the 28th. I know this sounds awful but I am dreading him coming home because I know he is going to be much the same as before and more worrying is what he will be like when he knows on the 28th that he is going back, after all its not a short journey it is nearly 6 hours! It's a pity they cannot keep Glen there over Christmas as my hubby and I were prepared to go up and be with him there. Anyway I will keep you all updated.

I wish you all a Happy Christmas!

Hi Jeanne -

Don't think your concerns sound in any way awful, and totally agree it's a pity you can't go to him rather than Glen having to make those difficult trips. I guess the extra week and waiting until after he is back makes sense, but that could have been decided before hand, couldn't it? :rolleyes: Here's hoping, though, that once they get the ball rolling it brings some big benefits for you and Glen :pray:

Very, very best

BD