Mandapanda

Toothpaste problems again!

Hi

My youngest is 14. He used Milk Teeth Toothpaste until he was about 10 and decided (after they had repackaged them) that he couldn't use toothpaste for babies! He tried many many different ones until we hit upon Sensodyne. He has used a small one of one type and then he has almost finished a large one of a different type and has now decided he wants to use the first type. He had finished that tube but is adamant that he hadn't and that it just disappeared! He told me it was a gel, so I got another one that I thought was the same but it is GREEN gel - it says nothing on the box/tube about that. It's confusing as Sensodyne do a gel and a paste in very similar coloured boxes/tubes. He won't use a pump even if it's the right type of toothpaste :blink: Most toothpastes are minty, many foam up a lot, many of the gels have 'crystals' in them. Many of them 'sting' his mouth. He won't have fruit flavoured ones.

I said ages ago on here, we need cheese or vanilla ice cream flavoured toothpaste!

In the past we have even tried fennel toothpaste (which I thought was disgusting! :sick: ). I now use Corsydol Daily toothpaste because I have bad gums. It is very different/odd. It is a peachy pink colour and not minty at all. It contains things like essential oils etc. It actually warns you on the tube that it takes a while to get used to because it's so different.

So many of the toothpastes do not show what they look like and don't say what they taste like, sometimes it's not even that clear whether it's paste or gel. Why are so many of them minty? It's all so frustrating, and trying loads of toothpastes is a great way of wasting money (although I end up using them whether I like them or not :sick: ).

Anyone found any radical solutions for this?

We have become experts in tracking down non-minty toothpaste that doesn't say for up to 7 years on the tube.

We have found the Berry flavours to be best. These are the cheapy toothpastes from supermarket own brands.Sainsburys, Tesco, Morrisons have all done them at various times. Also the cheap supermarkets (Lidl, Netto, Aldi) often have this type too.

I tend to bulk buy when I do see it, and have a stock built up, so if you PM me with your address, I will post a tube to you so you can try it.

My son also struggles with toothpaste. He says it burns his mouth and is hot.

We did have success with Sensodyne, but I am wondering if they have changed the ingredients (or i've accidentally bought a different kind), because he is again saying it is burning his mouth.

This causes huge problems in the morning because he has to rinse his mouth many times and will not swallow his saliva for the next hour or so having to repeatedly go to the toilets to spit it out.

He too was okay with berry flavours, but felt he wanted to try a 'grown up' toothpaste.

Maybe someone out there should start a new product. All the toothpastes and mouthwashes seem to link with the 'explosion' feeling of cleanliness. For those that are sensitive it must be like being a fire eater.

Hi,

I have the same problems with my son too (he's 12 now). He would only use Milkteeth toothpaste until he was about 8. I finally (and it took a LONG time) managed to swap him onto a toothpaste for older kids. We tried so many different ones and he hated the taste (too minty), colour, texture etc.

The one he uses is Tesco Steps (it says age 6+). It's a blue gel, smooth with no crystals (although it is "sparkly") and not too minty. It's pretty cheap too. I have tried him with "grown up" toothpastes recently, but he hates them all!

I hope you find something suitable,

Loulou.

Tesco do a strawberry icecrem toothpaste...

Mmmm, might try that myself :clap:

We have become experts in tracking down non-minty toothpaste that doesn't say for up to 7 years on the tube.

We have found the Berry flavours to be best. These are the cheapy toothpastes from supermarket own brands.Sainsburys, Tesco, Morrisons have all done them at various times. Also the cheap supermarkets (Lidl, Netto, Aldi) often have this type too.

I tend to bulk buy when I do see it, and have a stock built up, so if you PM me with your address, I will post a tube to you so you can try it.

Thank you so much for this offer. Unfortunately he won't do any fruit flavours at all. He only drinks water and doesn't eat any fruit, it would make life easier if he drank squash or fruit juice as he would be open to trying the fruity toothpastes. He only eats chocolate, not any other types of sweets so he is very limited and restricted.

Sally - the Sensodyne I bought yesterday says 'New Improved Flavour' so maybe they've changed more than just the flavour.

I thought I'd got him the right Sensodyne yesterday but it is plain white. He says he's sure it was white and blue and a gel type. :wallbash:

Ive checked my sensodyne, and we are currently using the 'gentle whitening' one. I think that mayabe the problem as this must involve some active ingredient. I'll have to be more careful next time I buy it. But as it is more expensive, I tend to bulk buy when it is on offer!

Originally sensodyne used to be pink in colour.

Not sure if you've tried this, but have you tried writing to the major toothpaste manufacturers and explaining the issue? When I was teaching we covered 'teeth' in science and I wrote to some and was sent, alongside teaching packs, loads of different toothpaste samples for the children - and I mean loads!!!! - all for free. Certainly made the lessons more interesting as we did all sorts of different types of experiments, but they may have lots of these packs (seemed a standard thing) and be willing to send them to you for sampling. :D

Thanks Mumble

I did email procter & gamble but they just sent me a curt standard 'thanks for letting us know your opinion' reply. I will try writing through, that's a great idea.

I have a problem with any toothpaste that foams - it makes me throw up. I use Retardex toothpaste - it's expensive but it's non-foaming and has only a very slight minty taste. It might be worth a try.

All the best,

Adam

I have a problem with any toothpaste that foams - it makes me throw up. I use Retardex toothpaste - it's expensive but it's non-foaming and has only a very slight minty taste. It might be worth a try.

All the best,

Adam

Thanks Adam

I'm not good with foaming toothpaste either, so thanks for this information.

We finally found the toothpaste my son had before - it is Sensodyne Extra Fresh, it is white with a blue gel stripe. Although, he was part way through the tube and dropped the lid behind the toilet (and didn't tell me) so wouldn't use that tube again, because the lid had been in cobwebs and the tube had been open to the air :wallbash:

Sensodyne also do a "mild mint" toothpaste for children up to 12. We are using that. I can't find the sensodyne original anywhere (the pink paste).