Jannih

New Year Meet up 2011

Two weeks to go... :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: Very excited :gather::eat::pepsi::D

Where are we meeting and at what time? The Royal Festival Hall is a large building on multiple levels with entrances on multiple sides/levels - it could be confusing saying meet there. :unsure:

awwwwww I am so gutted I won't meet you all :tearful:

If any of you wanted to meet any weekend in March or April I will be happy to make a trip in to London just PM me >:D<<'>

Is this still happening? :unsure: It's written in my diary and on my planner, so Mumble will be going for pizza even if no one else is!! :eat::lol:

Has a where/when been agreed? :unsure:

I am definitely coming too Mumble. I wrote it on my planner in indelible marker, so it is definitely happening!

I think we have agreed to meet at midday at the Royal Festival Hall, but we just need to agree on somewhere more specific.

I don't really know the area myself so I wouldn't know what to suggest. Do you have any good ideas?

It is on.

We have agreed on Pizza Express, near the Royal Festival Hall on the South Bank.

Saturday 26.2.11 (I can't remember the time but it was agreed, I will have to look back at the previous posts)

The names so far : Jannih, Mumble Tally Dana.

Do we have anymore to add ?

What about: Embankment Tube Station, 26.2.11 at 12:00? Royal Festival hall is not far from there and I suppose neither Pizza Express?

Kathryn, you proposed the venue: are you coming as well? It would be nice to see you as well as some more people from here.

Danaxxx

What about: Embankment Tube Station, 26.2.11 at 12:00? Royal Festival hall is not far from there and I suppose neither Pizza Express?

Kathryn, you proposed the venue: are you coming as well? It would be nice to see you as well as some more people from here.

Danaxxx

I was thinking that a lot of people would be coming into Waterloo?

Embankment tube station is on the opposite side of the Thames, i.e. some walk out of the way if people are coming from Waterloo. I may still be on crutches (fracture clinic next week, hoping to be free of them :pray:), if I am, having to go over to Embankment to come back would be difficult.

How about meeting at the front entrance to the Royal Festival Hall (that's on the Thames side) - on the Royal Festival Hall website there's directions from Waterloo station and it takes you directly there.

I agree, Waterloo Station is a better option than Embankment. We will still need to be specific as to the exact location, where we meet.

Yes I'm intending to come. :)

I'm happy to meet wherever is convenient for everyone. Outside front of Royal Festival Hall sounds good - Mumble do you know of a specific landmark people can lurk next to?

Anyone else coming? It would be great to see new people as well. :)

K x

Outside front of Royal Festival Hall sounds good - Mumble do you know of a specific landmark people can lurk next to?

Hmm *scratches head*

The only landmark I can think of is the statue of Nelson Mandela but that's on the first level up and to the side so may not be easy to find.

The front of the Royal Festival Hall is the side facing the Thames, on the South Bank next to a famous independent book shop and several cafés/restaurants. There are various benches around trees and such like but I can't think of a specific spot off the top of my head. However, I'm going down that way for lunch on Monday, so I'll have a look and report back as to a suitable spot. :D

Okay, because I like to confuse people (it's my special skill... :whistle:), I've changed my mind and decided we're better off meeting at the back of the Royal Festival Hall. This is much easier to find from all directions, much less busy and much closer to Pizza Express (less than 2 minutes walk) :eat:, plus there's a clear meeting point there and also somewhere to loiter if it decides to rain.

The back of the Royal Festival Hall is what you will see if approaching from Waterloo Station. I took some photos of the different approaches today to help people identify the location:

Approaching the Royal Festival Hall walking along Belvedere Road from Waterloo Bridge

Approaching the Royal Festival Hall walking along Belvedere Road (on Royal Festival Hall side) from Waterloo Bridge

Approaching the Royal Festival Hall walking down Concert Hall Approach from Waterloo Station (this is the way you are likely to come if walking from the main exit (down the stairs) of Waterloo Station)

If you are coming into Charing Cross Station or Embankment Underground instead, if you walk straight over the footbridge and don't go off any stairs to your left or right, you will come down the stairs in corner of the photo above.

I suggest we congregate by the 'South Bank Centre' sign - it's the colourful sign indicated by the pink arrow in this picture. If it's raining heavily, we can loiter a little further back under the shelter of the building - there are two people hiding there in the picture above.

You can get a map if you go to this site and click on download map of surrounding area.

Is that okay by everyone? :unsure:

Mumble, you're a star! That's very clear. :thumbs: Although people dropping in by parachute might need an aerial view. :P

If anyone gets lost or is delayed I'll have my mobile as usual. It's the same number as before, so some people might have it already. If you want it, pm me. :)

K x

Although people dropping in by parachute might need an aerial view. :P

For those individuals who have managed to secure clearance from Air Traffic Control to parachute into central London, your approach is shown in this picture :P. This will also be useful for any aliens visiting by spaceship. :D

OK, I'm compiling a list of mobile numbers that I will PM out to anyone who tells me they are coming to the meet up on Saturday.

Please PM me your number if you would like it included in the list.

Please also PM me if you are coming but do not want to give out your mobile number, and I will still PM you the list.

Hi All

We need to decide, where exactly, we are meeting up tomorrow.

We know it's 12 noon on the South Bank, Royal Festival Hall, but where exactly? As I am not familiar with the area.

We know it's 12 noon on the South Bank, Royal Festival Hall, but where exactly? As I am not familiar with the area.

Okay, because I like to confuse people (it's my special skill... :whistle:), I've changed my mind and decided we're better off meeting at the back of the Royal Festival Hall. This is much easier to find from all directions, much less busy and much closer to Pizza Express (less than 2 minutes walk) :eat:, plus there's a clear meeting point there and also somewhere to loiter if it decides to rain.

The back of the Royal Festival Hall is what you will see if approaching from Waterloo Station. I took some photos of the different approaches today to help people identify the location:

Approaching the Royal Festival Hall walking along Belvedere Road from Waterloo Bridge

Approaching the Royal Festival Hall walking along Belvedere Road (on Royal Festival Hall side) from Waterloo Bridge

Approaching the Royal Festival Hall walking down Concert Hall Approach from Waterloo Station (this is the way you are likely to come if walking from the main exit (down the stairs) of Waterloo Station)

If you are coming into Charing Cross Station or Embankment Underground instead, if you walk straight over the footbridge and don't go off any stairs to your left or right, you will come down the stairs in corner of the photo above.

I suggest we congregate by the 'South Bank Centre' sign - it's the colourful sign indicated by the pink arrow in this picture. If it's raining heavily, we can loiter a little further back under the shelter of the building - there are two people hiding there in the picture above.

You can get a map if you go to this site and click on download map of surrounding area.

Is that okay by everyone? :unsure:

Is that okay - does it make sense?

If you let me know where you're coming from - which places / stations / undergrounds you're familiar with I can give you more directions. :)

I've looked at train times and the one I'm getting gets in to London Bridge at 11.39, so it's cutting it a bit fine to be there by midday. It's either that or get a train half an hour earlier and end up 25 minutes early, which just seems silly. So I might be 5 minutes late.

I've looked at train times and the one I'm getting gets in to London Bridge at 11.39, so it's cutting it a bit fine to be there by midday. It's either that or get a train half an hour earlier and end up 25 minutes early, which just seems silly. So I might be 5 minutes late.

We'll try and save you some pizza. :D

When you get to London Bridge the quickest route to Waterloo is to take the train to Waterloo East. This always goes from Platform 6 at London Bridge (unless there are engineering works). The easiest way is to go over the footbridge straight to Platform 6. It's the Charing Cross train, first stop Waterloo East. They go every few minutes. At Waterloo East the main exit takes you straight to Waterloo mainline station.

Get whichever train suits you, Tally. If you end up getting there early, the South Bank is quite a pleasant place to kill some time. The Royal Festival Hall has a good bookshop and there are often free events going on. If I can get my act together I might try and get into London a bit earlier myself. :)

See you all tomorrow at noon :)

K x

The train website told me to do this but I thought the Jubilee line to Waterloo might be better and save me a bit of a walk.

Edited by Tally
I mean the thing Mumble said, not the thing Kathryn said.

I will be coming in from Waterloo Station.

I will see you by the South Bank sign. I have noted the phone numbers, if any probs.

:(:angry::wallbash: :wallbash: :angry::(

"If it's raining heavily, we can loiter a little further back under the shelter of the building"

Imortal last words, I fear. Okay, own up, who's been practising the rain dance this morning... :unsure::shame: :shame: :lol:

Awesome day, thanks everyone. :)>:D<<'> My arms ache now from all the hopping! :robbie: :robbie:

Kathryn's decided the next meet-up's in Paris. She's even going to hire us a private jet. :thumbs::whistle::ph34r:

Kathryn's decided the next meet-up's in Paris. She's even going to hire us a private jet. :thumbs::whistle::ph34r:

Bermuda looks nice :)

Sorry guys, I've just emptied out my piggy bank and found I don't have quite enough for the jet just yet. So our plans to go somewhere more exotic will just have to be put on hold for the time being. What a shame. :P:whistle:

Great day, despite the rain which enabled Mumble to demonstrate some impressive pole vaulting skills over a rain puddle!

Hope everyone got home OK. :)

K x

Hope you all had a great time!